• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How should Capcom handle the roster for Street Fighter VI?

• Start from scratch like previous numbered Street Fighter games, it's tradition.

Votes: 1,013 61.2%
  • Reuse SFV's assets, I want a larger roster from the start & SFV's animations are too good to ditch.

Votes: 441 26.6%
  • Meh, Capcom can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Votes: 201 12.1%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I lowkey feel that way about crush counters. I need them Sonic rings to spill out when I punish a DP forever and ever amen.
Three years later and crush counters are still satisfying as hell to pull off every time. Some people act like SFV's combat system is objectively trash for some reason but so much stuff about how this game plays feels great.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I don't think I could go back to a Street Fighter game that doesn't have a V-Trigger-like mechanic.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I love the mechanic, I just think that if they were to keep some assets from SF5 one of the key things they should do to differentiate the game should be to change SF5's 'unique mechanic', just as focus attacks were replaced. The difference is that V-Triggers are measurably better than FAs though, so I'd like the new mechanic to still be quite similar. It's just a way to make a new game stand out though.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason why they cannot reuse SF5 assets while changing their art style. Starting from scratch sounds nice but creating fresh assets would make the game very expensive for them and would require time. We've already seen how impatient Capcom can be with game development with trying to meet investor quotas also how bare-bones their game can be on launch when lacking time and money, especially their fighting games.

I'm team reuse

EDIT:

Also can we PLEASE stop comparing how ArcSys does their animation vs Capcom? They both want to accomplish very different goals with their animation so IT IS NOT A FAIR COMPARISON for either Capcom or Arc System Works. One is not better than the other because they both accomplish different goals.

Last edited:

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
It should be a new game on all platforms, and if they are serious about esports make it FTP. It doesn't have to look like DMC5, it has to be on Switch. Dial the visuals back if that's what needs to happen. The appeal of the visuals should be in the character design and animation.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they start fresh for SFVI. That said, I'd be okay with a "complete" version of SFV released right before VI or right after.
A "complete" version would at most mean the same old SFV disc with different art/packaging and a voucher for previous season passes, much like Arcade Edition. No chance of including all outfits and stages for free.
I don't think I could go back to a Street Fighter game that doesn't have a V-Trigger-like mechanic.
I lowkey feel that way about crush counters. I need them Sonic rings to spill out when I punish a DP forever and ever amen.
I would miss both of these things, yes.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Oh, don't get me wrong - I love the mechanic, I just think that if they were to keep some assets from SF5 one of the key things they should do to differentiate the game should be to change SF5's 'unique mechanic', just as focus attacks were replaced. The difference is that V-Triggers are measurably better than FAs though, so I'd like the new mechanic to still be quite similar. It's just a way to make a new game stand out though.

We've had three iterations on the MP+MK mechanic.

1. Universal Overhead
2. Focus
3. V-Skills

V-Skills have proven the most useful because they aren't universal and are tailored to the character. Some of them are overheads like 3S. Some of them are Focus Attack like. And yeah, some are bad, but on balance I don't see how you go back from the variety the V-Skill system provides to something universal and restricted.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with keeping V-skills, but the whole 2nd meter thing has to go, it was bad in SFIV and SFV.
The big thing I'd want to see in a SFVI is allow for a projectile/shoto game again, just make sure the other chars have strong ways to bust it (Birdie before he got nerfed into the ground repeatedly is a good example of this)

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter 6 needs nothing less than a complete, start-from-scratch development process. Nothing else will suffice.

For Capcom: finish out SFV with a bang... and then *completely* forget about it

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter 6 needs nothing less than a complete, start-from-scratch development process. Nothing else will suffice.

For Capcom: finish out SFV with a bang... and then *completely* forget about it
Like I said before, the fact that most of SFV's newcomers were well-received pretty much cements that SFV won't be completely forgotten. Characters like Rashid (for popularity), Menat (see Rashid), Ed (for story reasons), Zeku (see Rashid & Menat), & G (both popularity & story) will probably return. Maybe Laura & Kolin as well depending on how they want to approach the Matsuda family & the Illuminati in SFVI. There are also design/story changes that were for the better that'll likely be carried over (Sakura, Karin, Cody, Balrog, Dhalsim, etc.).

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We've had three iterations on the MP+MK mechanic.

1. Universal Overhead
2. Focus
3. V-Skills

V-Skills have proven the most useful because they aren't universal and are tailored to the character. Some of them are overheads like 3S. Some of them are Focus Attack like. And yeah, some are bad, but on balance I don't see how you go back from the variety the V-Skill system provides to something universal and restricted.

You go back to making special moves special moves instead of shoehorning them into the VSkill/VTrigger system. Spin knuckle as a VSkill? Balrog's dash punch variations as VSkills? Half a dozen slightly different variations of parry/FA? Come on. The V system is itself a ridiculous restriction on game design.

If there must be a MP+MK ability, give us a universal parry/focus attack and be done with it.

Ideally limit the V meter usage to just alpha counters (1 block), special move cancels (2 blocks), and powering up supers (3 blocks, automatic expenditure), without any framedata variations or state changes.

Like I said before, the fact that most of SFV's newcomers were well-received pretty much cements that SFV won't be completely forgotten.

Why isn't Viper in V?

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Start fresh on PS5. I'm not really a fan of SFV designs for the most part, so I'd prefer a new direction.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
V skills are cool but they're so unique to each character it doesn't feel like it's really a "system". They could accomplish the same thing by just giving characters a new command move.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
V skills are cool but they're so unique to each character it doesn't feel like it's really a "system". They could accomplish the same thing by just giving characters a new command move.

That's exactly why I think V-skills work better than an overall "system", like say focus attack where certain character types inherently don't mesh well.

The ability for unique stuff allows for every character to make up ground where any other system feature is unfavorable.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt V-Trigger will return in VI. Capcom likes each game to have their own identity and V-Trigger is a big part of SFV's.

Not to mention that I think most casuals don't understand V-Trigger and find the mechanic confusing and intimidating, especially now that each character has two of them. Exactly the fact that V-Trigger is not universal certainly doesn't help in that regard, and is a major reason for why I don't see Capcom keeping it in VI. The hardcore fighting game audience is not enough to make fighting games as successful as Capcom would like their games to be, so they probably want a more accessible system.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Start from scratch. SFV is butt ugly.
SFV has factually some good butts in there.

cI0KMzi.gif

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I think the v system is severely underrated. It's extremely elegant in the way it combines the reversals, meter, skills and trigger. One of my favorite systems in a fighting game. Which makes it all the more painful that it was apparently stripped from a Darkstalkers game...

I want to see what they can do next though, for better or worse. SF4 in a way was a SF2 sequel, V was very influenced by Zero/Alpha, so I'm really hoping that 6 takes its cues from SF3.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
How far out is SF VI? I seem to recall something about Capcom saying they would support SFV till 2020?

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Reuse, definitely. They struck gold with the character models, and I'm in fear that the female cast won't look anywhere near as strong in 6 if they go in with a new art direction.

Keep SFVI women looking STRONG.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
They should try a SF3 approach again. Bring back parry but make fireballs more dangerous to offset how much parry nullifies any zoning.
Plus an entire new roster or make the roster full of SF3 characters, for something different.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
V-Skill is fine but V-Trigger has to go. This is not even a comeback mechanic anymore but a written promise that you have to wait 30 seconds for your character to be even remotely interesting to play. This doesn't apply to everyone (Urien), but some characters would benefit from having their biggest tools that defines them to be more readily available

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SF4 in a way was a SF2 sequel, V was very influenced by Zero/Alpha, so I'm really hoping that 6 takes its cues from SF3.

I agree that IV took a lot of inspiration from II, but V felt a lot more like III than any Alpha (ACs not withstanding -- IV and V both had dashing and EX moves) in how slowly characters moved and animated and how the ranged game was so weak. I'd love to see SFVI skew closer to the feel of Alpha 2 or CvS2 (minus A groove/CCs/roll cancels).

They should try a SF3 approach again. Bring back parry but make fireballs more dangerous to offset how much parry nullifies any zoning.
Plus an entire new roster or make the roster full of SF3 characters, for something different.

All the good III characters were already in IV (or V, with Alex). Give us Mel and Gouken-aged Ryu, adult Ibuki and Makoto, etc.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reuse, definitely. They struck gold with the character models, and I'm in fear that the female cast won't look anywhere near as strong in 6 if they go in with a new art direction.

Keep SFVI women looking STRONG.

Yes.

lookit dat definition

Y8Qcjff.png

HByWXBy.png

but this game is "butt ugly" I guess

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they keep the artstyle, I dont care. Karin and Sakura are must haves though, even through dlc atleast.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like tradition for each new numbered version to have a new look so I'd go with that. Animation reuse I have less issue with though.

That said there is the side of me who used to love dicking around with mugen who wouldn't mind a Capcom fighter where they just shove in anyone they have half decent assets for just to have a crazy sized roster like used to happen in the 2D days. Probably best left for a none numbered spin off though.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yea, no Ed in SF6 = no sale for me, I have embraced dual button input for specials.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt V-Trigger will return in VI. Capcom likes each game to have their own identity and V-Trigger is a big part of SFV's.

Not to mention that I think most casuals don't understand V-Trigger and find the mechanic confusing and intimidating, especially now that each character has two of them. Exactly the fact that V-Trigger is not universal certainly doesn't help in that regard, and is a major reason for why I don't see Capcom keeping it in VI. The hardcore fighting game audience is not enough to make fighting games as successful as Capcom would like their games to be, so they probably want a more accessible system.
Explain to me how v-trigger is less accessible or more complicated than anything in 4, which sold much much better. It's literally a two button press to get extra moves.

I'd personally like Capcom to bring back taunts that actually did something again.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I think alot of ppl are not considering the animations can and should be reused. That doesn't mean they will be using the same models or the same models with no changes. Theres no reason to scrap everything.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I disagree that the V-System is good. For a ton of characters MP+MK is literally just a special move they had before. I could do HCB+P for Cammy's backfist in SFIV, here I just press MP+MK, the only difference is the execution barrior was lowered. V-Reversals are useless too, why did they nerf these even more?

If anything the V-Trigger was kinda nice (HP+HK) but it's mainly used as a combo extender, sooo meh... I hope they again try something new and don't reuse V-Trigger or Focus Attack or something

My biggest complains about SFV are the stupid non-semi-invincible DPs and the buffer making every combo a 3 frame link.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I voted reuse thinking of Smash Ultimate. I mean yeah it's a new game not saying it isn't but I think it's based a lot in the previous game and this actually helped it to have a lot of additional content added. Imo this is how games like this should be done. Going from a 30+ fighters game to a bare bones one that only has 8-12 at launch sucks.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Explain to me how v-trigger is less accessible or more complicated than anything in 4, which sold much much better. It's literally a two button press to get extra moves.

I'd personally like Capcom to bring back taunts that actually did something again.

V-Triggers are too complicated.

FADC though, that shit is easy.

Nov 8, 2017
Scrap all assets and start over in a new engine. Keep the awesome music but my goodness get those play doh models out of there. Take every available class on 3d modeling and clipping and then.....take them again.

Redo the combo system and make it less ridged. Scale the dmg if you need to but let the player have fun. (Characters like G and Kage come to mind here) and even then GO DEEPER !

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that IV took a lot of inspiration from II, but V felt a lot more like III than any Alpha (ACs not withstanding -- IV and V both had dashing and EX moves) in how slowly characters moved and animated and how the ranged game was so weak. I'd love to see SFVI skew closer to the feel of Alpha 2 or CvS2 (minus A groove/CCs/roll cancels).

All the good III characters were already in IV (or V, with Alex). Give us Mel and Gouken-aged Ryu, adult Ibuki and Makoto, etc.
Well gameplay wise I don't think V necessarily feels more like Alpha than III, or vice versa, but Nash, Birdie, Mika and Karin all in the base roster definitely feels like an Alpha call out, along with the v reversals and no returning SF3 or SF4 fighters until DLC.

Last edited: