• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How should Capcom handle the roster for Street Fighter VI?

• Start from scratch like previous numbered Street Fighter games, it's tradition.

Votes: 1,013 61.2%
  • Reuse SFV's assets, I want a larger roster from the start & SFV's animations are too good to ditch.

Votes: 441 26.6%
  • Meh, Capcom can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Votes: 201 12.1%

• Total voters

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The game should start from scratch, but this time offering a larger starting roster. Something more like SF IV and less like SF V.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Start from scratch and please be respectful of your fans. Do not let any company get in your ear and do something stupid.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I have a couple nitpicks with Street Fighter V's artstyle (mostly my huge distate for the backgrounds and it's NPCs that don't even look like they belong in the same universe) but nothing that would warrant a huge change, much less going back to sprites. Street Fighter has always been cartoony.and the character models are pretty good, I would argue that they can make hands and feet a bit smaller and actions would read as good, especially since many attacks don't even reach as far as the model would make you think.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I say start from scratch. Maybe use the RE engine or unreal 4. Make it the best looking fighting game ever created. I trust Capcom when it's comes to combat so you know that's going to be amazing. Basically give SF6 the budget & time it deserves.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
They need to take their time, split things up into seasons again. The more they do on day 1 the less they get to do to support the game long term and it allows them to update the presentation properly.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I say start from scratch. Maybe use the RE engine or unreal 4. Make it the best looking fighting game ever created. I trust Capcom when it's comes to combat so you know that's going to be amazing. Basically give SF6 the budget & time it deserves.
SFV already runs on UE4. Budget could be a potential issue for SFVI, yes.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if Capcom really is serious about the story, I wouldn't expect Bison, Nash, or Necalli to return on account of them being dead (or maybe dead in Necalli's case) regardless of asset reuse.......unless we get time-travel bullshit.
Tekken 7 lets you play as a dead character and it's fine, and tekken is more focused on story than sf.

I mean technically even SF5 lets you play characters with their old look , they can brush it as "costumes " but it's basically the same thing imo

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
boy i wished SFV looked like this game (just with better animations)

6FAF3FC2C955BA50E749360DD27ED552A4F3B79E

Can we talk about how ugly some of the backgrounds are in SFV? The heliport, the lair of the four emperors, the CPT stages...
To me this doesn't look nearly as pleasing on the eyes as V. I applaud what they were able to do, however.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can we talk about how ugly some of the backgrounds are in SFV? The heliport, the lair of the four emperors, the CPT stages...

This looks really ugly to me. Super busy. The characters blend in with the backgrounds.

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
RE Engine SF6 would be a total shitshow, but I can't deny I'd be into it just because it would be so damn wild to see.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They gotta start from scratch, but not in a start from scratch and have a lesser roster kinda standpoint. They gotta let SFVI sit in the oven for a long time and make sure it has enough content. They gotta move away from the awful business model that they've employed when it comes to getting new characters/costumes. The fact they're gone through the effort of adding a advertisement system into SFV shows that it's not doing well financially, and that's probably a trickle down kinda thing since the poor initial sales when the game first released. They gotta pay close attention to what the community is asking for over the next couple of years to make sure they're able to deliver a product to a fanbase that is incredibly dedicated to the franchise, otherwise it might just turn out even worse. SFV/MvCI have clearly not done them a whole lot of good, and people are moving onto other games. Tekken and Guilty Gear are games that I got bigger than I expected over the last couple years and Dragon Ball FighterZ seems to have been a massive success, and I think a lot of that comes from people moving on from Street Fighter finally.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018

I have played this game and to me this is super ugly because the background blends with the characters and the on screen graphics are so mind numbingly terrible and ugly and don't fit the overall aesthetic of the game at all, just look at the character icons.
Also the animations in this game are inferior to the ones you see in SFV.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

Arika's modelers are on some next level shit given their budget. The characters themselves are really quite gorgeous even if the rest of the game isn't. I almost want Capcom to partner up with them in the future on something.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, like 90% of you aren't going to buy SF6 because of your hate for "predatory dlc practices" and archaic controls so I don't get this thread tbh.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Do you have concrete examples ?
I'll concede for animations but a lot of models had to be redone for the new rendering pipeline.

The majority of the returning cast from Smash 4 retain their model geometry with minor alterations and updated textures and lighting. Most of them have the same voices too. There are a few exceptions like some Zelda and FE characters getting brand new models to match their newer games.

Stage geometry and texture updates are a little more extensive since many of them were taken from melee and brawl and beginning to show their age, though it's clear that they've been building on previous versions rather than remaking them from scratch.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility towards another member
Yeah SNK or ArcSystems are completely broken using something very close to sprites which looks like 10 times more awesome...

Hell even MvC3 looked far better in my eyes
What is it with people like you not reading here? Fucking annoying. Go back to WHO I responded to. Two, do research on WHY. Not doing that shit for you.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Yeah SNK or ArcSystems are completely broken using something very close to sprites which looks like 10 times more awesome...

Hell even MvC3 looked far better in my eyes
SNK was in financial trouble post KOFXII/XIII until they got bought out by a Chinese conglomerate. Arc's last sprite-based fighter (BB Tag) had only four new characters worth of sprites while the rest of the roster is recycled from three different games.

Sprites are expensive and are a net negative on mainstream/casual interest in a game.

Oct 30, 2017
I think Street Fighter V came out 7 years after Street Fighter IV

That was the perfect time to release it for me.

So I'd like Street Fighter VI to come out atleast in 2022 which would be the 35th Anniversary for the franchise.

They should support Street Fighter V until 2020. Then have a year off in 2021 to get people hungry again then release VI in 2022.

As for graphics as I've said before they should not just simply port over the models but not remake them either. Do something in between and upgrade the current models.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It should reuse assets to keep up with other franchises in terms of content going forward IMO. All sorts of lighting and aesthetic tweaks can happen while reusing animations.

I understand most are hesitant due to how rough SFIV and V look but I think for SFVI to start off on the best foot possible it needs the biggest variety of characters and gameplay options it can have at LAUNCH.

I am a big fan of this series and I think it would be for the best.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They gotta start from scratch, but not in a start from scratch and have a lesser roster kinda standpoint. They gotta let SFVI sit in the oven for a long time and make sure it has enough content. They gotta move away from the awful business model that they've employed when it comes to getting new characters/costumes. The fact they're gone through the effort of adding a advertisement system into SFV shows that it's not doing well financially, and that's probably a trickle down kinda thing since the poor initial sales when the game first released. They gotta pay close attention to what the community is asking for over the next couple of years to make sure they're able to deliver a product to a fanbase that is incredibly dedicated to the franchise, otherwise it might just turn out even worse. SFV/MvCI have clearly not done them a whole lot of good, and people are moving onto other games. Tekken and Guilty Gear are games that I got bigger than I expected over the last couple years and Dragon Ball FighterZ seems to have been a massive success, and I think a lot of that comes from people moving on from Street Fighter finally.
Hm, as someone who plays SFV, Rev2, and DBFZ, nothing's given me the impression of Guilty Gear getting bigger than expected when the Xrd games very much underperformed, hence Ishiwatari and his team rethinking their approach in the (I believe misguided) hopes that further simplification will be what increases the franchise's appeal. Online has also been nowhere near as active as SFV, ranked being pretty much dead and the lobbies largely empty a year after Rev2's release (splitting the community by making it a paid update to Rev1 did the game no favors, in addition to some anime players migrating to BBTAG).

As for DBFZ, its success has much to do with people loving Dragon Ball in spite of also being a good game (even if GG played just like it, I have no reason to believe it would've been anywhere near as popular).

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Either expand upon SFV's roster entirely or scorched earth it like SF3 and make everyone new.

Then patch Ryu and Ken in after people bitch at the location test.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I already posted in this thread, but I'll post again I guess.

SFV is an amazing-looking game to me, mostly due to the animation quality, which is probably the most expensive aspect of the game's production. At least that they should retain, as much as possible. They can always rig newer character models to use them, just like how most returning characters in MvCI reuse the animation from MvC3 despite having entirely new models.

Aesthetically they need to keep building on the cartoonish/painterly style they started with SF4 and continued with SFV. I don't want a Street Fighter game that looks like an RE Engine game, or a NRS game, or even an ArcSys game. I want a Street Fighter that looks like fucking Street Fighter, and SFV absolutely carved out a unique look for itself among the other fighters on the market.

Tekken's a different game.

Which re-uses animation from multiple generations ago. So what should we call it?

You're not telling me anything I don't know and I don't disagree. SFV is probably my most played modern fighter, I don't dislike it or anything. But I'd love to see a more realistic take for SF6. There's nothing wrong with trying new things and looking at DMC and RE, I think Capcom would do a great job.

Fighting Layer EX looks and plays great, really. It's insane such a small team could pull something like this off.

I assume FEXL outsourced nearly everything, in an even great percentage than Capcom did with SFV probably.

Yes... ten times more awesome.

49uXUZv.gif

teen6XO.gif

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
When I think about it, I'm not sure what I'd want from a Street Fighter VI. I love V's framework so much that I'd rather they just keep updating it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I already posted in this thread, but I'll post again I guess.

SFV is an amazing-looking game to me, mostly due to the animation quality, which is probably the most expensive aspect of the game's production. At least that they should retain, as much as possible. They can always rig newer character models to use them, just like how most returning characters in MvCI reuse the animation from MvC3 despite having entirely new models.

Aesthetically they need to keep building on the cartoonish/painterly style they started with SF4 and continued with SFV. I don't want a Street Fighter game that looks like an RE Engine game, or a NRS game, or even an ArcSys game. I want a Street Fighter that looks like fucking Street Fighter, and SFV absolutely carved out a unique look for itself among the other fighters on the market.

Which re-uses animation from multiple generations ago. So what should we call it?

I assume FEXL outsourced nearly everything, in an even great percentage than Capcom did with SFV probably.

Yes... ten times more awesome.

49uXUZv.gif

teen6XO.gif
ArcSys fighters have downright bad animation with choppy frames, yet they receive nothing but praise. It's honestly a mystery to me how they gained the reputation they have. People think "it looks like anime!" equals "it looks good", I guess :P

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Build on the SF5 system - make some minor art style/lighting changes to make it stand out and differentiate it, but keep the animations and the cast. Perhaps change some designs/costumes as necessary.

Mainly, what I'd like is a new game building on SF5's foundations with the V-system replaced with something new.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Start from scratch but not cause 'it's tradition'. Because the art direction needs improvement and might as well take full advantage of next gen power.

Also I hope it's not Sony exclusive this time.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Start from scratch but not cause 'it's tradition'. Because the art direction needs improvement and might as well take full advantage of next gen power.

Also I hope it's not Sony exclusive this time.
I'd imagine that SFVI would be PS5/Xbox Scarlett/PC whenever it happens.

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Damn, Okay, I'm loving this.
Doesn't really have an ambitiuos artstyle like the rest of the street fighters though.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'd rather they start fresh for SFVI. That said, I'd be okay with a "complete" version of SFV released right before VI or right after.

Oct 27, 2017
Starting from scratch makes a nice, clean break between each numbered entry and allows a rotation of characters old and new. But reusing assets wouldn't be the end of the world especially given the complaints about how content light SFV was at launch. With a reuse of assets it allows Capcom to focus on other areas of content a bit more, and it also doesn't block there being new characters and remixes on existing ones. Asset reuse isn't necessarily a bad thing in moderation. I do wonder how SFVI will be funded though, and whether there would be the levy of one of the console manufacturers over the IP again for the generation as with Sony in this iteration (of course, it is on PC as well though).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Build on the SF5 system - make some minor art style/lighting changes to make it stand out and differentiate it, but keep the animations and the cast. Perhaps change some designs/costumes as necessary.

Mainly, what I'd like is a new game building on SF5's foundations with the V-system replaced with something new.

I don't think I could go back to a Street Fighter game that doesn't have a V-Trigger-like mechanic.