• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if a lot of mom and pop places might just close as a traditional restaurant and find a new location that has no seating and just kitchen and prep space only. Not sure how these places can break their leases tho.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Eh, maybe. It just seems a bit overt to state the extra charge separately. These are the people who are coming out to support your establishment, it seems daft to be making the point that you're now charging them more; "Thanks for coming out we appreciate it! Heres the extra charge we've added on just for you" if there is a genuine need to raise prices... then just raise prices.

That, plus it's not like individuals haven't suffered because of COVID either, so marking it as such is just going to make some people upset.

Then you are "hiding" said prices within the menu items. It's more transparent to be explicit that there is a COVID fee.

Restaurants have every right to do it. I personally think it's poor form, but I understand why they would do it and if folks are willing to pay it, then so be it. If push came to shove, I personally would be less likely to buy food from that restaurant, but customers will vote with their wallets. Always have. Always will.

If your costs increased, increasing the price of the food isn't hiding anything. Why does it have to be earmarked as COVID. For sympathy?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm barely doing takeout right now, I would probably do even less if that were the case.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind but it just looks bad from a marketing standpoint. Just include it in the regular items, otherwise it gets construed as "nickel & diming". It's like when airlines tack on "baggage fees" or when hotels add "resort fees". People react negatively to it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That, plus it's not like individuals haven't suffered because of COVID either, so marking it as such is just going to make some people upset.

If your costs increased, increasing the price of the food isn't hiding anything. Why does it have to be earmarked as COVID. For sympathy?

I'm guessing it's to imply that the price change is temporary so that when this is all over people will come back and won't think the food is overpriced.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why should the pass the loss of earnings on to the customer? Everyone is losing out because of it. Should there be a new surcharge on all goods and services?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
The fee was like just $2-3 from what I saw. If you raised prices people would probably be paying more than that.
Given how reticent people are to be going out + how nobody knows how long this will last, I'd venture to say they'll need to up revenue by more than $2-3 per order anyway. Reevaluate later, if you can. (But that's why I said target specific menu items too. Do 40-50% of your customers get something you're known for? They value that experience more, so raise that a whole $1 or more. Raise other things less. etc)

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I wouldn't mind, and am tipping more when I can, but might be better to just increase the menu prices rather than add a line item that says Covid fee, etc.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I would just raise prices to compensate. You don't have to tell them which part of the price is for rent, supplies, and staff either.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i dont understand why they just dont raise their prices what a stupid thing to do lol.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Why should the pass the loss of earnings on to the customer? Everyone is losing out because of it. Should there be a new surcharge on all goods and services?

The alternative is to just go out of business, due to the severely reduced capacity. Meaning even if everybody in town wanted to go to the restaurant, they could still only seat half of the people that they could seat three months ago.

Oct 27, 2017
We have one at most restaurants in San Francisco. The fee is like $5. Whenever I order a meal for one delivery now it costs from $35 to $70 and these are from the cheapest restaurants

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly it's probably better to just build it into the pricing, particularly on more popular items. When you call something a fee/surcharge it immediately rankles people.

This, just say the increase in price for most products is due to increased costs of food items in general. Customers understand since food items at grocery stores are more expensive in general nowadays, and are probably willing to pay a bit more to not have to cook themselves. Even if the bill comes out to the same cost people are gonna freak out at "covid fee" on their bill. You'd even be better off calling it mandatory gratuity regardless of party size.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They have to raise prices regardless. Having the items priced properly just reads better than a lower price and a bunch of fees. Makes folks feel like they're getting ripped off.

So increase prices for COVID effects. Increase prices even more because you want to pay your wait staff differently than anywhere else around you. Convince your wait staff that they'll make more money without an emphasis on tipping. Communicate to your customers that you have higher prices but they don't have to tip and hope they don't see the prices and just not bother coming. Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Nobody is going to do that.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I can understand the concept, although having a fee/surcharge doesn't seem like the friendliest way of doing it.

There was a hairdresser on the news yesterday here that was charging a $5 fee, which he explained was to help pay for cleaning supplies they never had to purchase before. Five bucks per customer, though? Damn that's steep.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
We've supported local restaurants by doing pickups at least once a week. Just did it last night in fact. But I disagree with higher prices to subsidize prior lost income. Sorry, but the whole economy is in the same boat. They don't have any special rights to be made whole. Should Starbucks and McDonalds surcharge also until they are made whole for their lost income from March-May?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how restaurants can survive with a capped capacity. It's gotta be a full house or I can't imagine the profits being there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder if the average barber shop is going to hike prices. I mean there has to be a ton of pent up demand so it's not like they won't be packed.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
ppe, deep cleaning, temporary loss of earnings, (possible) wage increase due to risk... 10% charge on bill, just to be open and provide some normality?

yeah, i understand this, and i'd be happy with this

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldnt have a problem with it, i understand. ive been tipping extra phat during this time when ordering take out anyway. but i also rarely eat out as is and cook mostly at home.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017

For transparency. Some people appreciate that.

I suppose an option would be to explicitly say we have had to raise prices due to the current financial climate. But to just raise prices and look the other way doesn't sit well with me.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Absolutely not. I've been picking up all of my food to avoid these ridiculously high delivery fees. If this became a thing, I'd just stop going to any restaurant that had this.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that they were probably driven to do that by people who aren't tipping extra / being respectful of the situation restaurant owners are in. If it's a step they have to take to stay afloat, I'm all for it.
It was actually -- according to them -- due to the cost of meat rising. They added that fee in to address that cost instead of raising prices on every item. They did raise the prices across the board after they received backlash.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I've been tipping 15% minimum, often 20% since the outbreak. But I always hated the fact gratuities were added automatically in the US. What if I have bad service? I like to be the judge of that. Regardless I think the situation sucks for restaurants right now.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
It'd actually be smart if they marketed it as a badge of honor that the extra fee goes into PPE, disinfectant, and extra costs to operate under COVID instead of "We need to raise prices since we are at less than max capacity" because 1, most restaurants around me are NEVER at even half capacity so running at lower capacity isn't affecting their bottom line. The ones that it does affect their bottom line they are already doing exceedingly well and are surviving fine even without dine in. And 2, I'd eat at restaurants that advertised this since I'd know they are taking COVID seriously (eventually other restaurants will catch on and just use it as a marketing gimmick I guess).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It'd actually be smart if they marketed it as a badge of honor that the extra fee goes into PPE, disinfectant, and extra costs to operate under COVID instead of "We need to raise prices since we are at less than max capacity" because 1, most restaurants around me are NEVER at even half capacity so running at lower capacity isn't affecting their bottom line. The ones that it does affect their bottom line they are already doing exceedingly well and are surviving fine even without dine in. And 2, I'd eat at restaurants that advertised this since I'd know they are taking COVID seriously (eventually other restaurants will catch on and just use it as a marketing gimmick I guess).

I thought I read somewhere that fridays/weekends are like the majority of the profits of some restaurants (depending on location, normal workday lunch and dinner times as well) so they are (hopefully) packed in normal times at peak hours. If a restaurant is never running at even half capacity than I'm not even sure why they're wasting money on the extra real estate.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe time for America to review tipping. Just charge enough for the food to pay everyone properly in the whole chain.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been tipping 15% minimum, often 20% since the outbreak. But I always hated the fact gratuities were added automatically in the US. What if I have bad service? I like to be the judge of that. Regardless I think the situation sucks for restaurants right now.

Eh tipping hasn't been based on service for a long time now. It's more like a "help us pay for our waitstaff" fee nowadays.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I read somewhere that fridays/weekends are like the majority of the profits of some restaurants (depending on location, normal workday lunch and dinner times as well) so they are (hopefully) packed in normal times at peak hours. If a restaurant is never running at even half capacity than I'm not even sure why they're wasting money on the extra real estate.

Yeah, I was talking about peak hours/days. Not everywhere is like NYC with a thriving dining scene and space is not always at a premium. Out of the 20-30 restaurants we have in the downtown area probably only 4 of them would be hurt by being at half capacity. The pubs/bars I'm more worried about.

Was basically just making a point that some places could see this as an opportunity to market themselves as "clean" dining when maybe they don't really need to adjust what they do all that much and charge a little more.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Recently saw an "investigative" local news piece sort of shaming local restaurants (AZ) for adding a new COVID-19 Surcharge at the end of peoples bills. They even said of course customers are informed prior, but they went out of their way to get people to say what an "outrage" it is.

Restaurants already run on razor thin margins, it's worse in America with tipping because we offset heavily underpriced food this way. Restaurants have every right to add a COVID fee after losing months of business, and now can only operate with capped capacity. I'm wondering if this kind of surcharge will become the norm across the country and if it will get people more open to the idea of doing away with tipping.

You have to do it, because you still have people saying "I'm picking up, why would I need to leave a tip'.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Most delivery apps let you change it after it arrives.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind, especially if the demand for food is there and people want to eat at the restaurant, they should expect things are not how "normal" was before.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Recently saw an "investigative" local news piece sort of shaming local restaurants (AZ) for adding a new COVID-19 Surcharge at the end of peoples bills. They even said of course customers are informed prior, but they went out of their way to get people to say what an "outrage" it is.

Restaurants already run on razor thin margins, it's worse in America with tipping because we offset heavily underpriced food this way. Restaurants have every right to add a COVID fee after losing months of business, and now can only operate with capped capacity. I'm wondering if this kind of surcharge will become the norm across the country and if it will get people more open to the idea of doing away with tipping.

No they don't. I mean, legally, they can add whatever surcharges they like, but morally and ethically, it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

It is deceptive and dishonest when airlines and hotels do it, and the same is true of restaurants.

Price your items accordingly, and don't try to sneak on a surcharge at the end.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I don't trust restaurants to equitably pass those fees to the workers, so I'd rather just tip more. Sadly that won't account for kitchen and cleaning staff.

The whole industry is fucked up, the tip model needs to end.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that they should just raise the prices of menu items. Logically, I understand the need to add a COVID fee but raising prices accomplishes the same thing while being less likely to piss people off.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You have to do it, because you still have people saying "I'm picking up, why would I need to leave a tip'.

So I had a question on this: with the restaurants closed, are the people who are packaging the food and whatnot for pickup still considered wait staff (and paid as such)? I would think not, but I wasn't sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So I had a question on this: with the restaurants closed, are the people who are packaging the food and whatnot for pickup still considered wait staff (and paid as such)? I would think not, but I wasn't sure.

I'm not 100% sure, I think some places they have one person doing it all (At this barcade I went too, the who cooking the food was also the guy pouring the drinks. Makes sense you don't to have multiuple people.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Restaurants are really hurting right now and are struggling to make ends meet so the extra money would help, but people are eating out much less and if customers just stop coming altogether because they don't want to pay an increased amount that's not great either.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not 100% sure, I think some places they have one person doing it all (At this barcade I went too, the who cooking the food was also the guy pouring the drinks. Makes sense you don't to have multiuple people.

I was more wondering if they get paid like wait staff (below minimum wage) which seems criminal with no tables to wait and thus no in person tips (other than takeout which most people will not tip near 20% for good reason).