• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil has always been more than just zombies, and a REmake 3 is inevitable anyway. So no, let RE8 do something different as well.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
The zombies in RE2make are their best iteration so far, but honestly the real star of the show for me has always been the body horror in humans and other animals being twisted into monstrosities. As much flak as RE4 gets for its over-the-top cheese factor, they nailed this with the Ganados - that "The Thing" vibe of something recognizable transforming into something horrific as Las Plagas explode out in a mass of writhing flesh is the main thing I think the games need to keep consistent.

I think they tried to do this somewhat with the Molded (the guy's half-transformed head in the freezer is pretty creepy) but for the most part they went way too far in the other direction and just made them into unrecognizable grey blobs with teeth. You need that uncanny element to it or else they just become another monster to shoot.
I kind of would like to see Ganados again, except you're an unskilled everyman and not a badass like in the games you fought them

That could really change the dynamic with them

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't really matter if they just gave you less ammo but made Zombies less resilient. They load you up with enough ammo on normal difficulties to take all enemies and bosses out with a comfortable margin of error, so it's an academic distinction.
You'd literally have a harder time trying to kill every enemy. They even brought in a competely new mechanic in the form of barricades to emphasize that you should survive instead of kill everything like it's re6. Frankly, the next step is adding proper crimson heads.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I want actual enemy variety, interesting characters, and third-person. That's Resident Evil to me.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As others said, molded were just boring in terms of variety. There was nothing wrong with them directly. I thought it was an interesting manifestation, just under done.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Zombies are overdone in videogames, but they did such a good job in RE2.
The molded scared me more, but I prefer classic zombies.
I despise those where tentacles grow out of peoples heads. So fucking stupid.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of zombies in an RE game has zero correlation to the quality of the game. See RE6.

Literally the only problem with the molded is that they were overused, they're extremely threatening enemies intially.

Nov 8, 2017
You'd literally have a harder time trying to kill every enemy. They even brought in a competely new mechanic in the form of barricades to emphasize that you should survive instead of kill everything like it's re6

Im not following you. I understand it's optimal to avoid fights where possible and prevent rather than kill zombies getting inside. 6-headshot zombies feel awful to fight though, and I'm saying you can make them less spongey and compensate by giving out less ammo in order to preserve the balance. Barricades can also become a bigger part of gameplay if you want, I'm happy with the idea of a game about clearing spaces and managing threats with limited resources.

Dead Space really went on hard on changing up where you aim at the enemies, if it's specifically headshots you don't like.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So, ever since Resident Evil 3, each numbered entry in the Resident Evil Games took out their iconic villains. Zombies. And ever since then, we have really just had Not-Zombies that acted sort of like zombies..... but not really. Veronica and Zero had Zombies, however they are mostly prequels.

On what planet is Code: Veronica a PREQUEL?

Oct 27, 2017
Nah they should still try making new kinds of monsters. Of they keep using zombies they will be very overused.

More stuff like the ganados or those things from Revelations 2 would be great.

Feb 16, 2018
No it should continue to pick up where RE7 left off with new BOWs and whoever The Connections are. R3make will continue with zombies.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of Las Plagas seems the most horrific to the victims to me; I'd like to see them try those again.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's probably best that the series reserve zombies for classic remakes for the time being. They're handled better in the new REmake 2 (is this what we're going with?) than pretty much any other game, but there's still room for them to be less exciting if overused. That being said, the blob designs just aren't interesting. I feel like the series should create creatures that are similar to zombies in that they are clearly and visible formerly human with distinguishable features, but perhaps they're all bent out of place, growing extra limbs, etc etc. That being said, I don't think they quite nailed the visuals when it came to G in REmake 2. His first form was pretty well handled, but he looks more plasticy than fleshy as the game goes on.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not necessarily. The franchise lost its way for a while, but that was not down to the enemies. They can make a thrilling, scary horror game with different kinds of enemies than just zombies and I'd like for them to keep exploring. The Molded weren't bad, but they were a bit boring and with barely any variation. But there's plenty more Capcom can do. I'd personally like to see them explore Las Plagas again. Faster enemies with the atmosphere of the REmake 2 could be incredibly scary. Like lots of little Mr X's chasing you with pitchforks.

But this is all with the assumption they're giving us a Resident Evil 3 Remake. I don't want them to abandon zombies altogether, not with how much they nailed it in REmake 2.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I want zombies back and I want one shot kill to the head (or other vital spot if the zombie is really deformed).
In exchange, bullets should be even more limited to balance this.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'd hope for something a tad different. A different kind of infection or plague akin to the infected/clickers in The Last of Us or the necromorphs in Dead Space.

Nov 8, 2017
Oh whuuut

When I played RE4 and had no idea what was gonna happen, I was legit shook

Straight out of The Thing

Of course ya get pretty desensitized to it

RE4 is phenomenal overall but the tentacles sprouting everywhere stuff was a bit overplayed. RE5 took it to self-parody levels where a guy jabs himself and 10 seconds later 10,000 kilograms of matter has appeared out of a pocket dimension and he's a 200 foot tall super monster made of tentacles.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of exploring more and different kinds of enemies, to be honest. Even if they act "zombie-like," I think they still could make them interesting by their origins or little quirks about them. I mean, I'm sure we've got plenty to play of zombie-Resident Evil games if RE3make in fact, does happen.

Also... not exactly relevant in terms of regular enemies/fodder, but I wish this guy could pop up somewhere in a new RE game (he never did since this version of 4 got cancelled, right?). I always thought he was pretty scary. I get that he's probably a "special" enemy but still.
HjdevWI.gif

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of would like to see Ganados again, except you're an unskilled everyman and not a badass like in the games you fought them

That could really change the dynamic with them

Possibly off-topic, but I'd like to see them revisit the idea of the main character being infected and having to suppress the virus/parasite while searching for a cure. Leon being the badass he is this was only a subplot in 4 but I could imagine them revisiting the hallucination aspect of the Hook Man build with a more vulnerable protagonist. Maybe you have to take pills in the environment or something to keep yourself sane and keep your body from betraying you while you fight off other infected. That could add another interesting element to fights against common enemies if the thing inside you actively tries to alert its brethren and protect them from you while it's stronger.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make them less spongey than RE2 zombies, but yeah. Or if they have to concede to story progression, a different kind of virus that makes them zombies of a kind of type. Like the molded or whatever they were in Revelations, but more human.

It would be too easy without the sponge.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's a prequel to 3. Whereas 2 is the predecessor to 3.

It was also created after 3 as well. Hence, prequel.

Someone doesn't know what prequel means.

And Code: Veronica clearly takes place AFTER Resident Evil 3- did you even play that game?

Three months after escaping from Raccoon City, prior to its eventual destruction,[7] Claire Redfield raids an Umbrella Corporation facility in Paris in search of her brother Chris. Discovered by Umbrella's security forces and eventually captured, Claire is imprisoned on Rockfort Island – a prison complex owned by the corporation, situated in the Southern Ocean. Sometime after her imprisonment, Claire finds herself released by one of the prison staff and discovers that an outbreak of the T-Virus has occurred. In the resulting chaos, she finds herself teaming up with Steve Burnside, another inmate seeking to escape.

In their efforts to explore the island and find the means to leave, the pair finds themselves confronting the island's commander, Alfred Ashford. Both Claire and Steve find him to be mentally unstable as a result of him switching between two personalities - that of himself, and of his twin sister Alexia. Eventually, the pair manages to find a seaplane and use it to escape, only for Alfred to pursue them and switch their plane to autopilot, directing it towards another Umbrella facility in Antarctica. Upon their arrival, the pair finds the facility had suffered an outbreak, and fight their way through the zombies and monsters within to seek a means of escape, battling with Alfred and fatally wounding him. Before he dies, Alfred frees his sister Alexia, who had been in cryogenic sleep within the facility after injecting herself with the T-Veronica virus - an experimental virus the Ashford family had developed 15 years ago. Awakened, Alexia manages to recapture Claire and Steve as they attempt to escape.

Meanwhile, Chris Redfield arrives on Rockfort Island in search of Claire, after receiving a message from her via Leon S. Kennedy. Upon learning she had left, Chris focuses on determining where and begins searching the island. In the process of doing so, he comes across Albert Wesker, an independent agent since the Spencer mansion incident, who is seeking to retrieve a sample of the T-Veronica virus. After Chris learns of his sister's whereabouts, and Wesker discovers that Alexia is alive and carries what he needs, the two separately find their way to Antarctica. Once there, Chris frees his sister and helps her to search for Steve, only for them to find that he had been experimented with and injected with the T-Veronica virus. After mutating, Steve attempts to kill Claire but fails, regaining control of himself to turn on Alexia, who then inflicts a mortal wound on him. Before Steve dies, he confesses his love for Claire. Meanwhile, Chris and Wesker confront Alexia. In the resulting conflict, Wesker escapes and manages to retrieve Steve's corpse for further experimentation, while Chris manages to defeat Alexia and escape with his sister before the Arctic facility self-destructs.

RE2 and RE3 happen at the same time. Re: Code Veronica picks up AFTER the destruction of Raccoon City. It's not a prequel, doofus.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The point isn't to kill but to stun. You need ammo for the boss fights and stronger enemies. It's a genius design decision as it directly translates the zombies from the older titles, which were essentially mini puzzles where you had to pick and choose when to engage. Same logic applies here but it means picking and choosing where to shoot. Nearly two decades of video games with zombies have conditioned us to expect headshots to be the end all solution.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite things about the older games although by RE2 ammo was extremely plentiful anyway. They could have balanced the bullet count and enemy health situation much better. The better you play, the spongier they get because of the dynamic scaling, which kind of defeats the puzzle/resource management ethos. Taking out their limbs would be nicer if their grab boxes weren't so magnetic. And in the older game, you could take out a group of zombies by aiming up with a shotgun. I don't know, there are as many ways that the new design ethos is like the classics that it isn't like the classics.

It would be too easy without the sponge.

I'd take easier over less satisfying. Besides, there are other ways to balance the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Someone doesn't know what prequel means.

And Code: Veronica clearly takes place AFTER Resident Evil 3- did you even play that game?

RE2 and RE3 happen at the same time. Re: Code Veronica picks up AFTER the destruction of Raccoon City. It's not a prequel, doofus.
I apologize my dude.
I played it like, 10 years ago. Sorry about that!

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
I want enemies in next non-remake Resident Evil (8 or Revelations 3) to be something between regular T-Virus zombies, molded and necromorphs from Dead Space. The infected become slow and mindless zombie-like creatures first, but with progression they grow extra limbs, taking some grotesque and less humane form and becoming more dangerous.

Basically like G-Virus infected but without that much extreme mutation.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Probably, yeah.

Zombies are white hot pop culture right now. They're not currently seen as overdone and boring by the mainstream audience.

We live in an age where they've been legitimised in a way where they never have before: thanks to the success of things like The Walking Dead and TLOU.

RE can market itself as The Original Zombie Game, so it can get away with it again.

Last edited:

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Make them feel unique if you're going to have a low amount of them. The molded just felt uninspired when they had you go through a gauntlet of them

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES YES YESSSS!!!

I've been waiting for a mainline RE with Zombies since 3!

The tone of RE diminishes with these hive mind parasite infected humans. Nowhere near as satisfying as Zombies.

Also ditch the first person view, it wasn't good use of the brand.

3rd person + Zombies + Mansions/creepy lab.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Im not following you. I understand it's optimal to avoid fights where possible and prevent rather than kill zombies getting inside. 6-headshot zombies feel awful to fight though, and I'm saying you can make them less spongey and compensate by giving out less ammo in order to preserve the balance. Barricades can also become a bigger part of gameplay if you want, I'm happy with the idea of a game about clearing spaces and managing threats with limited resources.
Your issue is that you're only aiming for the head. Like it's supposed to feel awful to fight. Because survival is the goal. It's like trying to play MGSV like a traditional cover shooter. You can make the zombies less of a threat by aiming elsewhere.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
think they should still have fast enemies in addition to zombies like the afflicted from revelations 2. love how aggressive they are, leaping at you and shit.

tumblr_nflmmlzoPo1tdkro1o1_500.gif