• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Yes! I like remakes but have zero interest in remasters. I don't see a resolution/asset bump as worthy of spending my money on a game again so have personally never bought one, however I have almost always bought remakes of games I enjoyed the first time.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Yeah, I agree with the OP since what they're suggesting is essentially the same as any typical remaster these days. That is, for the remasters where it's usually just higher resolution and more detailed textures, I think backwards compatibility should be the default as opposed to a rerelease.

Now, if the devs intend to quadruple the polycount of their models and improve the lighting as well, I would rather they get compensated for that work. But even in that situation, this debate is relevant, as PBR is essentially the end of the road for photorealistic graphics and the only real improvements from now on come down to detail and the accuracy of indirect light information. So the kinds of things we can improve about PS4/XB1 games to justify rereleases are shrinking. Detail level, indirect lighting accuracy (what most people care about with ray-tracing), animation, and quality of life changes are about all you can improve from here on without making it a different game. Those aren't insignificant things, but you'll want to make sure gamers actually notice. Then again, you might be able to sell people with marketing buzzwords alone, who knows?

As I suppose ( / hope) current gen games will all be playable on next gen consoles, I think a HD texture pack or something like this to be paid for (I don't know, for 5-10 bucks) could be a suitable way.

Oct 26, 2017
I can certainly agree with current gen games not really needing a remaster and previous generation titles still getting them. But, maybe, some games from this generation could benefit from a hard remaster, where they don't remake it but mainly fix some of the issues the game originally had as well as bump up the quality of the textures and resolution and what-have-you

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. Xbox has spoiled us a bit in this regard with Enhanced titles.. and even going futher than that, Final Fantasy XIII shows us even another way forward with developers possibly even updating textures/fmv with higher quality assets along with the enhanced features, which I'm sure most people would be willing to even pay for such a patch.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, they've discovered a pretty consistent cash flow. As long as graphics develop and enhance themselves, remasters will be an option.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
It depends on how Backwards-Compatibility is handled. Remasters/Remakes have been incredible marketing/sales boons this generation.

subtropisch

Jun 23, 2018
I think remasters for new games should die. GoW 2018 doesn't need a remaster on PS5 (and it luckily doesn't have to have one). For older games remasters are fine though. Though I personally would it if all games were to be made available to play in their original state through backwards compatibility + remakes of some games because I find that personally to be more interesting.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I dont think people read the OP.

There shouldn't be any separate SKU remasters from the PS4/XBONE era, I agree. Any game released now should just be given patches to add improvements, similar to how the Xbox One X does it.

And this is what will happen.
Raytracing / path tracing smeared all over current gen games will do. (Don't think so, really curious to see to what extent RT can be implemented next gen,
but I doubt it's substantial).
Current gen games are not getting a remaster, I expect enhanced BC to take care of most cases and patches in a few instances, obviously games could still get a reissue as "complete edition" or something.
Games from generations before the current one will keep being remastered/remade as they should

Last edited:

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Not really die. I think it needs to evolve. They can update games to take better advantage of next generation.
There are already games that can already scale to next gen but the touch ups won't hurt.

Whether they sell these upgrades or not for existing owners is the huge question mark.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, i dont see the need for remasters to die. They can give older games extra exposure, and it also gives work to smaller studios, since those are usually the ones who handle these releases, from what i know. And with backward compability, it will be easy to just play the original version. There will likely be cross play between the platforms as well (if not across all platforms, at least between e.g PS4 and PS5). It would be nice to see free updates that improves the visuals of course, but i dont expect this to be the norm.

That said, i'm a bit indifferent though. I cant recall the last remaster i bought because i wanted to play the game again. I was somewhat tempted to buy the Dark Souls and God of War 3 remake, but i never did (GoW3 was "free" with PS+ as well, so i added it to my library, but i doubt i will take the time to play it. I already beat it on PS3 and loved the game). So even if we dont get any remasters next gen (including free updates), i wont care much about that.

I'm seeing all these comments about people not buying games next year because they saving themselves for the PS5 or Scarlett versions. For me it will only show who the greedy publishers are.
Keep in mind that these remasters arent just made for people to double dip. They're also made for new players who didnt buy the game in the first place. Why would it be greedy to offer the game for sale again? And with backward compability, you really dont need to buy the remaster to be able to play the game :) Its nice with better visuals of course, i agree to that, but that leaves you with a choice to buy it or not. We're not entitled to get these free updates, and the remastering does require extra work as well, so i wont call this as being greedy.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Why not? Even if next gen is backwards compatible remasters can still fix things and put all the patches on a disc for people who prefer a definitive physical release.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Are people confusing remasters with remakes?
Most of the remasters out there are no different than what good backwards compatibility/emulation already does.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I don't mind remasters as long as they add to the graphics beyond resolution. Tbh I kinda want another Halo 1 remaster next - gen, to make use of ~30x more raw GPu power than the last remaster.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Kinda. Remasters like Halo 2 in the MCC are great. But Remasters that are just the PC version at max settings but on console or something are dumb. But super easy money so they'll never stop. Good backwards compatability should be the "remaster", instead of selling the same game again

Remakes are great though

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Not until I get the Metal Gear Solid remaster/remake.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
No remaster with better resolution or fps. That should be done automatically via back compa.

Real remakes like RE2 I'm all in.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't have an issue if it's more than just a resolution bump. I think a lot of people often don't understand how much effort can be involved in what appears to be a relatively simple remaster.

It'd be great going forward if games automatically upscaled on the new systems but I don't think anything beyond that i.e. higher resolution assets etc should be expected to be free, great as that would be.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
They probably should(in terms of ports from X1/PS4) but they won't because they help to fill out those long software droughts on new consoles. Look forward to Uncharted 4 remastered etc.

Ceannaire

Dec 12, 2017
Ireland
YES
Microsoft proved with 360 and og Xbox backwards compatibility that there is no need to remaster games when you can have those improvements built into the emulator itself. most of the X enhanced games perform and look better than most dedicated remasters.

Remakes on the other hand will always have a place as they usually do more for gameplay and QOL

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I like remasters. I don't always revisit them if they're a game I've already played, though. But when it's a game I haven't actually played before, and I'm pitched an opportunity to play it in a "better than ever" form, it's definitely encouraging to jump in. I think that's the real function of the remaster. It reinstalls the game or franchise in to public consciousness. It gives you an opportunity to market it again and for players to be aware of it. It motivates people to give it a chance, which even if they always could, they might be more motivated to do with a celebrated re-release.

I can definitely understand if remasters get tiresome to people who've played a lot of games. I'm sure if you're somebody who plays whole series and all the flagships every generation the idea of playing those same games again next generation isn't very interesting. But I know I definitely like good remasters. I've played a lot of great games this way.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'd rather they didn't, I've enjoyed playing a number of them this gen.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
With both PlayStation and Xbox likely supporting ray tracing, if anything we'll likely see even more remasters

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So surprised that so many of you said No right away without second thought. The issue with the video game industry is lack of creativity so your preferred solution to this is to re-hash games from 10 years ago but with updated graphics?

Shit if you want to do that, just get a PC and download mods.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Should they? Yes, especially with everyone so gungho on backwards compatibility. Will they? No, they make too much money.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'd rather they didn't and that time was spent on making new experiences, especially with backwards compatibility being a thing once again. But they sell. Often very well. So I don't see them stopping.

I can't wait for the Ni No Kuni remaster, because I missed it the first time around, but had the PS4 been backwards compatible, or they released it on the UK PSNow, I would have played it years ago and wouldn't be bothered about this re-release.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's great to see a title revitalized with overhauled visuals. Some of them are incredible, like the transition from AC3 to AC3 Remastered.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Give us Mass Effect Trilogy PS5 Remastered (with blue light censorship instead of clothed sex ^^ ) and give us Mass Effect Andromeda Completed Edition.

And THEN we'll stop doing remasters :P

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Remakes are great.

Remasters of PS4 games on PS5, where you can play PS4 games and patch them to look better, are not great.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remastering PS3/360 games, keep at it. Remastering current gen games as new releases, no thanks. Just patch them like Xbox's backwards compat.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah stuff before the PS4/XO era should still be remastered if it hasn't already

but backwards compatibility + regular updates should mean there's no need for a current gen games to get the same treatment next gen. Release 'em on a new disc with the new console's logo, sure, but don't make people rebuy the game they already bought.

I'd be fine with a one-time small fee if the update is significant enough, though.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd happily pay for another version of something like RDR2 on new hardware assuming the visual and performance upgrades were significant.