• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Now note I don't mind publishers remastering games from the 360/ps3 era or before that. I'd take a Mass Effect remaster if you listening EA.

With both consoles confirming they'd have BC, why is there the need to remaster games from the PS4 or XB1 era? Enhancing them over a patch makes more sense rather than cash grab. Games like Cyberpunk I rather they enhanced for next gen consoles rather than CDPR doing a cash grab. I suspect with their track record that they'd enhance it.

Then you have Halo Infinite. Phil Spencer was hinting in his GB interview that if you buy Halo Infinite for the XB1 and if you were to buy a Scarlett later on you would get the improvements with that copy. It makes sense because Halo Infinite the last thing they want to do on the first day is split the user base online.

This gen it made sense to remaster games because of the no BC and especially for Sony as they got a lot of people from the 360 user base who they wanted to try out their PS3 exclusives games that they missed.

I'm seeing all these comments about people not buying games next year because they saving themselves for the PS5 or Scarlett versions. For me it will only show who the greedy publishers are.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i cant wait for this thread to be remastered in 7 years

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of. There really shouldn't need to be a "remaster" of a game releasing from say 2018 on. Or if it does get one, it should be like how it is on PC where 90 percent of them are cheap (or even free) updates.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
maybe more reboots to sequels, or a sequel that is a reboot

a seaboot

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For this gen, no need for remasters next gen.

But bring on the remasters / collections for the PS3 / Xbox 360 and earlier gens.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think people read the OP.

There shouldn't be any separate SKU remasters from the PS4/XBONE era, I agree. Any game released now should just be given patches to add improvements, similar to how the Xbox One X does it.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah i think so, just give them xbox one x treatment

Remakes can exist for n64/ps1 games and older, but I usually have no issues playing old games

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really think of anything from this gen that will need to be remastered, but there's still plenty out there from the PS3/360 era that could use a nice upgrade.

For current gen stuff I'm hoping that we get some kind of BC boost at the hardware level. I have more confidence in Microsoft doing this than Sony.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Depends on the game. One of the cool things about the Xbox One X and the upcoming Scarlett, is that the older games can be upscaled and look much, much better than they originally did, with no work needing to be done by the developers. I know it's not quite the same thing, but it's pretty darn close.

I would prefer to see more actual remakes of older games instead. Banjo-Kazooie looks better than ever in its newly upscaled 4K visuals, but a remake with that new Smash Bros. design would be incredible. Oracle of Seasons & Ages and the original Legend of Zelda in the new Link's Awakening style would be great too.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I always like the option of playing the games I like with better graphics. Would like an xbox BC versiĂłn where I maybe don't have to pay for them but if they put in work and charge for them... I don't have to buy them

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
My bad. Poor thread title, I should have been more clear in the title that I'm talking about games this generation, do they need a remaster not from previous generation. I don't have a problem if publisher wants to remaster a PS3 or 360 game.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
My bad. Poor thread title, I should have been more clear in the title that I'm talking about games this generation, do they need a remaster not from previous generation. I don't have a problem if publisher wants to remaster a PS3 or 360 game.

I don't think so. I'm sure it won't stop many companies from trying, however.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Sort of. There really shouldn't need to be a "remaster" of a game releasing from say 2018 on. Or if it does get one, it should be like how it is on PC where 90 percent of them are cheap (or even free) updates.

Ni no Kuni is the first "remaster" I've seen where I can't see any discernible difference from the original. That game was and still is stunning to look at, besides frame rate and loading I'm not sure what they can improve. That's why I'll go with the Switch version.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yes and no. Charging for a remaster from a PS4 to PS5 game has to end. Thers BC just release an update with improved assets and use that to sell consoles not sell the same games.
From older gens, yes, thers still alot of gems that could use a remaster for new hardware.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
i'd like to see more remasters of older games, there are so many unused brilliant IP's. For example Meteos, it's old but golden and seems forever lost for future generations

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
For as long as technology continues to improve in video games, great games should continue to be given new life and audience.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
'Just make a patch' only goes so far.

There are plenty of egregious UX and accessibility problems in current gen games that could only be resolved by a remastered edition with liberty to rebuild the game.

I would welcome remaster efforts to bring older games in line with accessibility standards, as well as better localisation and UI improvements.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I agree that small-time remasters should be phased out for X-enhanced style patches.
But I love remastered packages with bonus content, optional filters/texture improvements, cut content restored, etc. There need to be more of those.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
So long as there there exist things to improve in a remaster, remasters should continue existing.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For earlier gens keep 'em coming, but moving forward games should just evolve with the new systems. Instead of developing them with locked in resolutions they could easily use a dynamic one that would allow a 1080p game today run at 4k in the future without having to do any extra work. Worst case they sell you a texture pack on the next gen instead of getting you to buy the same games over and over again.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me think of something. Will "COMPATIBLE WITH PS5" be printed on PS4 games going forward? Vice versa for XB1

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with the OP since what they're suggesting is essentially the same as any typical remaster these days. That is, for the remasters where it's usually just higher resolution and more detailed textures, I think backwards compatibility should be the default as opposed to a rerelease.

Now, if the devs intend to quadruple the polycount of their models and improve the lighting as well, I would rather they get compensated for that work. But even in that situation, this debate is relevant, as PBR is essentially the end of the road for photorealistic graphics and the only real improvements from now on come down to detail and the accuracy of indirect light information. So the kinds of things we can improve about PS4/XB1 games to justify rereleases are shrinking. Detail level, indirect lighting accuracy (what most people care about with ray-tracing), animation, and quality of life changes are about all you can improve from here on without making it a different game. Those aren't insignificant things, but you'll want to make sure gamers actually notice. Then again, you might be able to sell people with marketing buzzwords alone, who knows?

Oct 25, 2017
Why? People want to play old games, many never got around to them in the first place. Doesn't it make sense to have them on whatever you currently own in the nicest way possible? In fact I wish companies did more "definitive editions" which consolidate a lot of the alternate versions of a game into one modern and constantly updated-with-the-times version.

You can always not buy them.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Nah, a remaster is almost always better than straight backwards compatibility. If the goal is to have the best version of the game, then remasters are necessary.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The highest selling game of this generation is a PS360 remaster. Which has sold that after it already did 30+ million on PS360.

Who would turn down that nearly free money?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Probably relatively easy money for publishers.

Hell, I'm considering skipping buying new games from winter onward and wait for the inevitable remasters or updates to Cyberpunk, Last of Us 2, Tsushima...let alone other gems from this gen like Bloodborne.

Got a big enough backlog anyway to keep me going til next year.