• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Do you think the next PSVR should work without PS4/PS5, so it can play PSVR specific titles?

Useful cases:
- movement based games like Beat Saber
- play astro bot rescue mission in any room
- Stream PS5 games via cloud to a virtual giant screen.
- games that aren't limited to a seated living room area
- link to PS5 Via USBC for increased fidelity and more complex games

When you buy a PSVR title you are already locking yourself to something which only works with certain hardware, so it wouldn't feel too much like Vita 2. it's also an opportunity for better full motion controllers, which are long overdue from Sony.

What would you like to see from PSVR2?

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Needs to have inside out tracking, the current camera system is cumbersome to setup.

Ideally it should be PC compatible, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Quest is liberating - I've got rid of my Vive, Rift and Odyssey+ headsets because Quest (standlone) and Quest link (tethered) are all I need.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Standalone with link cable.

Standalone might work well to play smaller games and the PS4 VR games.
Link Cable for High End games.

But most important would be better tracking and a better screen.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That would mean that the headset itself would be a console and you wouldn't be able to play the same games at the same quality as that would require the same hardware inside of the headset. I don't think it's time well spent for Sony doing something like that.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Quest is liberating - I've got rid of my Vive, Rift and Odyssey+ headsets because Quest (standlone) and Quest link (tethered) are all I need.

I am thinking of getting rid of my vive and replacing it with the quest.
Would you say the screen quality is comparable?

Vive is just a bit too bulky and the controllers suck.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the Quest is what anyone should be looking to imitate. Wireless connections are already here and they work for VR headsets.

PSVR2 only needs to support the PC standard (Steam VR) to succeed, imo. If I can use the PSVR2 on my PC for everything else besides the PS exclusives, I'll buy it. Bonus points for wireless connection to a base station that doesn't make you look like a stag.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
Future VR should take the Nintendo Switch route. It should be capable to be plugged into the system to be played at home and run smoother, or switch out to be played in portable mode easily and instantly.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wouldnt making it standalone really hold back what is possible on the headset? I dont think sony will have "cable only games"
I do support the idea of it being wireless and connecting to both PS5 and PC (and Valve should in turn port half life alyx to PS5VR)

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
HAS to be wireless. At least give us two versions. Options! Also PC Compatibility is also a must.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the cost increase would be worth it to them, so no.

Just make it in line with current/future resolution/fov and have insideout tracking + proper motion controllers, none of this Move crap anymore, please.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wireless through Wi-Fi 6 with option for a cable is what PSVR 2 is going to be imo. Standalone is still a possibility but further down the line.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be shocked if it didn't have some kind of streaming tech like remote play built in.

Oct 25, 2017
No.
It would make it a lot more expensive than it ought to be and effectively force Sony to create a whole new platform with its own software library.

Feb 10, 2018
No, the cost should be put towards making it wireless.
Sony's strengths are the quality of there AAA, people go to Sony for the quality of there games, this philosophy should not change for VR, they should make the best VR games + experience on the market.

While quest is great, I think the best VR is external hardware + wireless. As long as they come up with a way to have very little latency + loss of IQ.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It should be non proprietary cabling. Work independent. On PS5 and on PC. Make it the value proposition of all time for VR.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
No. Stand Alone would mean it to cost much more i suppose...?
So I say, wireless but still need to be connected to PS5.
If standalone maybe with a solution that keeps cost lower..

But maybe i'm wrong, and standalone + possibility to connect to PS5 for extra power would make it more appetible on a wider audience.

I'm not sure what would be the best

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it will have less exclusives.

Like, VR is so niche, that I feel all devs and publishers should create games for every VR platform. Oculus has "exclusives" but they aren't really exclusive to Oculus headsets because you have Revive.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Standalone, ideally. VR headsets should end up as standardised as TVs so you don't have to be buying more than one and can use whichever one you have with any system for VR compatible software. There's perhaps always going to be some deviation in features but VR, head-tracking and motion controllers will be some of the core things they can all have in common and feasibly supported across every device.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If its not fully wireless I just won't be interested, to cumbersome and untidy / annoying to have around as PSVR currently is.

Can't they do something like the Wii U where they do some kind of local wireless streaming of the image to the headset? Why is wireless VR such a difficult problem to solve?

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I would love a standalone PSVR, but I guess it would cost much more?

People keep asking for wireless, but for me, it's not a problem at all. It should have a much better tracking.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
No, because yes, it would be cool BUT it would be cost too much, and I want to be cheap, so I can pick up a PSVR2 one year later on black friday to an even cheaper price.

But wireless with optional cable is ok.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No, Sony needs to keep their development focused on their console hardware. You think people were disappointed with Vita support, imagine this. Quest isnt exactly getting native ports left and right, and slapping a mobile chipset and battery in the headset will just bump up the price and weight without much benefit

^ ^ I agree with this.

You agree that a cell phone could run PS4 games?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No, Sony needs to keep their development focused on their console hardware. You think people were disappointed with Vita support, imagine this. Quest isnt exactly getting native ports left and right, and slapping a mobile chipset and battery in the headset will just bump up the price and weight without much benefit

Yeah, if they have hardware that can play ps4 vr games on stand alone psvr2, they should focus on ps4portable first

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Yes. A standalone headset is much more useful than a tethered one.
I think they should be able to release one at 399.

More than half of VR games aren't visually intensive anyway, so you could play those anywhere. And for the rest you hook the thing up to the PS5, or even better it works wirelessly.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Standalone would basically mean creating a new platform, that would have to be supported with separate software. I don't know if Sony wants to chance a VR Vita.

The correct answer would probably be tethered VR using a single simple cable, and optional official wireless support (akin to the Vive Wireless Adapter, but hopefully a bit cheaper) for those who'll pay for it.

Nov 8, 2017
I just want to buy the best dumb headset I can get for the price that's powered off my PS5. If I want a Quest, I'll buy a Quest (I already did).

Also, I'm pretty sure we had this topic a while ago.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I don't think so, they're pushing high quality VR with crazy graphics etc..

Now, Nintendo..To me Oculus Quest is basically the sign Nintendo is ready for VR. A stand alone VR device with better than Wii motion control (they've been wanting to develop Wii since forever), good enough graphics for their ips (especially for something that would release in 2020 or later i guess), for 400$ ? That's everything, absolutely everything they need for something like that to be viable. Also when you see the sales of the quest, something like that with teh indy games + big Nintendo games would actually lead the market i think.

And it's not like we cans till stay Nintendo is not interested in VR. They're already playing with it. I think it's meant to happen, this is just a question of time. This is their perfect secondary platform. They can even make it compatible with Switch so that games can also be released as non vr titles.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Quest's Link limitations are due to the Snapdragon 835 chipset. Understand that Quest 2 will have no need for a USB link cable because it'll be able to do fantastic wireless streaming for those who want PC rendering. If Sony's not releasing PSVR till 2021, this wouldn't be an issue either.

So it's not even about the a link cable in the future. It's whether you want to release a hybrid that can also do powerful wireless streaming. And of course they should. Given recent statements, though, it doesn't sound like they're going that way.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It depends. I don't think Sony has any real intention of ever making PSVR truly into it's own independent platform so I doubt they would take a Quest-like approach. As others have suggested probably the best case scenario would be having PSVR2 wirelessly tethered (for the lack of better term) to the PS5.

Even still I fully expect PSVR2 to require being hard wired to the console but honestly just putting inside out tracking in the HMD and making wands that track better would be enough of an improvement over the original hardware to get me on board. I just hope that PSVR2 is compatible with PSVR1 games.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know. Originally I would have wanted wireless but I'd honestly take a PSVR2 that just has the camera of the Quest and a single cord going from headset to PS5.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Actually it has been confirmed that the PSVR2 will not be standalone back in May:
www.resetera.com

Sony is not planning on making a standalone & portable VR platform (i.e. Oculus Quest)

MattAces posted a thread regarding Sony's head of R&D saying that the PS5 and PSVR2 will likely not launch together on the same day. What really stood out to me in that article however is actually Sony's intent of NOT going down the path of mobile VR...

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i vote for wireless streaming, with a single usb-c connection if your batteries are low or want to improve latency a bit. full pc support would be great too.

Oct 31, 2017

No, I'd like the PSVR2 to be able to run simple standalone VR games with an onboard processor if possible but still connect to the PS5 to run proper full fledged VR games. It will allow the PSVR2 to be mobile but at the same time powerful when connected to the PS5. All this would be nice if they can still keep the cost down but if it costs too much then they can drop the idea.

Actually it has been confirmed that the PSVR2 will not be standalone back in May:
www.resetera.com

Sony is not planning on making a standalone & portable VR platform (i.e. Oculus Quest)

MattAces posted a thread regarding Sony's head of R&D saying that the PS5 and PSVR2 will likely not launch together on the same day. What really stood out to me in that article however is actually Sony's intent of NOT going down the path of mobile VR...
Oh, in that case scrap the idea I was agreeing with earlier. Let them have the PS5 support wireless streaming if possible.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
No, it needs to be extremely powerful. And not a niche separate platform. PSVR is the most popular vr platform for a reason.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
As long as they include at least a basic 3D video player this time.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Can't they do something like the Wii U where they do some kind of local wireless streaming of the image to the headset? Why is wireless VR such a difficult problem to solve?
The Wii U has lag in some conditions, and that's just a single 720p image. There's also the issue of batteries for the screens and sensors.

I like the idea of wireless PSVR but ideally it should cover all rooms of the house, and we barely manage that with wifi.

Oct 28, 2017
If you want standalone VR, don't look to a console manufacturer to do that. They've got boxes to sell. VR is supposed to be an additional functionality for them, not an alternative avenue.