• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should PS5 just use DualShock 4 or a new DualShock 5 as its controller?

• DualShock 4

• DualShock 5

• Why not both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have with DS4 is its triggers which while a clear improvement over DS3 could be a lot better still. Otherwise it's the best gamepad I've ever owned, definitely the better one out of my XBO gamepad (in almost everything really), my old Logitech gamepad and DS3. No idea what people mean when they say that it's "cheap" as the only way I see it could feel more "premium" is if they would make it out of pure gold.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If Sony had a good knock off of the Elite controller, I'd be buying and playing a lot more games on the PS4. Everything about their controller is inferior when it comes to shooters comparing just the standard versions. Aside from that, paddles make a huge difference and the 3rd party option with paddles is not good.

Or...just stop killing the controller adapters with updates. Let me use the Elite on the PlayStation and I'll give Sony more software sales.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
New DS5 with no light/option to turn it off, paddles, and better battery. But if DS4s are still compatible that would be nice too.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make it VR enabled.

Add grip sensors and stuff that will make VR Emerson more seamless.

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Lightbar turned off improved battery life
Keep the touchpad but make it even more accurate enhance the controller mic to make it more clear. (Smellovision?)

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I'm mostly interested in what Sony does with VR. With that said, their VR controllers need a major update.

Dual Shock 5 could use some button management adjustments, like moving or reshaping the "Capture" button. I'd like to see a further evolution of the Touch Pad too. I'm dreaming but a micro screen, like the Dreamcast would be amazing.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Basically what others have said. Improve the build quality, an option to turn off the lightbar, and more battery life. The Dualshock 4 ain't really broke, so don't do too much to fix it.

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It would be nice if they supported the ds4 so I can continue to use my scuf pad. An 'elite' ds5 pad with paddles would be a good way to go though, surely they cant miss this trick next gen.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Both touch-bar and the light are failures in its current forms, so a DualShock 5.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I hate the shape of the DualShock as-is. The main reason I play multi-plat games on xbone almost exclusively.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I want DS5 to have:
- Paddles
- Better grip
- Longer battery life
- integrated dual speakers
- integrated microphone
- LED Screen instead of touchpad
- Integrated Camera for augmented reality
- €39

HOW HARD CAN IT BE?!

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The only thing I truly want is for the next pad to not feel hollow. I feel like it's one fall away from disintegrating.

I also would like them to keep the share button on the pad.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
DS4 is a huge step up from DS3, but it's still lacking in comparison to XB1 and Switch Pro.

It'd be great if DS4s still work on a PS5, but Sony have to do better with the DS5 - in all facets.

Build quality, battery life, comfort - everything needs to be stepped up.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Put the PS Vita Dpad on the PS5 controller and give it a bigger battery and I'm good. Don't you dare mess with the stick placement Sony!

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Dualshock 5:

Trigger rumble
Ability to turn off light
USB-C charging
Still keep the headphone jack for headsets
More textured thumbsticks
Longer battery life
HD Rumble

Here is a dream one:

Provide the same kind of service MS does for custom colored controllers.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I just want better battery life. I love the PS4 controller and I really think it is the best controller Sony has ever made. The only exception is that the battery life sucks. I can also take or leave the touch pad. Dualshock 5 all the way.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I could use a change.

I thought so between PS1->2->3 as well.

But the battery being so bad it definitely needs to be fixed.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
DS4.5 as a base and the new VR controllers as DS5. Usable as motion controllers in VR and like an air mouse in pancake games. Ratcheting done with finger tracking, you "let go" of the controller to pick up the "mouse".

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No touchpad would seem like a huge downgrade.

I like all the features they've added over the generations. I'm down for giving the touchpad a screen.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
This goes for MS too:

Paddles: I'd like them to encourage more usage of them, but I get that that is something that can interfere with how people grip it and is a nice upgrade for the premium controllers

On-board storage so that I can tie my controller to my login: Obviously this is a huge can of worms. But I would love to be able to go to a friend's place sync my controller, and have access to cloud storage for the purpose of my sensitivity settings (maybe even controller remapping) and achievements and whatever.
For what its worth, I barely care about the achievements but I've run into enough situations where using the same account for multiple playuers locally became a shitshow that it was easier to just login as myself. Which in turn was a shitshow between 2fa, asking people to look away while I entered my password, and so forth. Just treating my controller as a dongle to get basic functionality would be amazing (and I think the 360 and Wii already had that?).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It should support both.

I don't think they need gimmicks. Light bar can go.

I'd honestly be happy with current gen + paddles + gyro in every controller. Paddles are amazing, I can't give them up.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
DualShock 5 please. I need:
  • Better placement and feel of the Options/Share buttons
  • Better triggers that don't easily get pulled when you lay the controller down, PLEASE.
  • Better battery life
  • Better thumbstick grips
  • Either make the touchpad worth it by letting it be used pointer / arrow style on the system UI and across game UIs, or DITCH IT.
  • Lightbar is whatever; I'm not paying attention to it because I'm watching the screen, not the controller, but it's good for player number coordination
  • USB-C, please!

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't have a problem with DS4 I just feel a new console should come with a controller redesign, even if all they literally do is remove the stupid light in front lol.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
The DS4 is garbo, terrible build quality and a built in battery that's a PITA to change when it eventually dies/swells.

I'm bowing out of the first party controller game if they're all going with the dumbass internal batteries. The wired options from third parties are actually good-to-great now and cost less than half as much so I'm going with that for any new console. Hori will always make a decent wired pad for a new console.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I use the ds4 currently for fighting games and I feel like there is definitely space to improve, dunno if there is any incentive tho

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The DS4 is flawless other than battery life. Just make a DS4 with good battery.

Edit: And USB C with fast charging.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
DS4 has terrible quality control and breaks down too often, but out of the box it's a great controller.

Ditch the stupid light bar and improve the QC with a DS5 and we're good.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
DS5, has paddles, ditches the touchpad, splits into 2x PSVR2 Move 2 controllers.

Done!

With you 100% with this. Paddles or at least grip buttons are a necessity, and split design would be a dream for VR support, ergonomics, and multiplayer. I think it'd be a slam dunk, but I understand that's more of a stretch than paddles. Still, I hope Sony takes a page out of Nintendo's book on that one.

(Also USB-C fast charging would be a treat and feel in line with the message of absolute speed and convenience that the SSD brings.)

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thers always space for improvements, and removing of useless/ failed feautures. So an Improved Dualshock 5 is a must have.

Feb 8, 2018
battery life needs to be improved and there are last-gen controllers that in my opinion have a better grip than the DS4. While the lights look stylish on it i'd like to have an option to turn these things off. Blinking lights are useful when you recharge them in a dark enviroment so they should keep them for such things.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lightbar is also fine, they just need to make it fully customizable.

I thought it was more trouble than its worth before I started using it with Steam, which for whatever reason has better native support for the controller than the PS4 itself. Choose from a variety of colors you probably didn't even know it had, or just turn it off.

I have the lightbar match the color of my setup on idle.