• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should PS5 just use DualShock 4 or a new DualShock 5 as its controller?

• DualShock 4

• DualShock 5

• Why not both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
They have to keep the touch pad, and they need to keep the touch pad. It's still hilarious that some devs don't do shit with it and other devs use it for an extra few buttons. Also keep the audio out option, I don't care what happens to the speaker. Of course it needs better battery life, that should be the only big change.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The accessory market is huge for console makers, so not releasing a mandatory new controller would be absolute nuts. Video game accessories alone are a billion dollar market and the DualShock 4 happened to be one of the best selling products during the last few years. I'm sure some smart sales geeks can post more precise data.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This is kind of a weird question. I assume by DualShock 5 you mean something fairly different while keeping the classic PlayStation layout. I quite enjoy the DualShock 4, so I'm cool if they just improve on that. As long as the classic layout is present I'm good.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Just increase the battery life honestly. Keep the rest the same for ease of backwards compat

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Internally, I hope they keep all the same stuff; ideally, there's no need for the PS5 to care whether you're using a DS4 or 5.

Biggest complaint I have is battery - make it accept AAs, so I can always switch out my own rechargeables. The PS4 and 3's internal charge cycles are going to get really annoying after not too long.

The other thing I really want to see is a revised aesthetic. Nice as the DS4 feels, it looks bad imo. Give some kind of sculpt to the totally round handles, give it a nicer silhouette, or something. Not sure exactly, and it's such a small part of the experience, but I'd like it to be nice to look at.

Both sets of shoulder buttons could certainly feel better too I guess. The bumpers and triggers on the Switch Pro are good, and the triggers from the 360 and One would all be good examples to go from.

I think it'd be neat if the touchpad become a touchscreen. But I also think the downsides to that would outweigh the benefit. Quicker battery drain, more expensive controllers. It goes against my first point too, in that DS4s would no longer be exactly as capable.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Don't companies make their $$$$$$$$ on controller sales?
I give it a year before they patch in controllers from last gen

I liked the DualShock 4 except the light and the triggers but those are easy fixes

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Dual Shock 5 with built in paddles and no/much smaller touch pad. DS4 BC out of the box as well.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They'll make a DualShock 5, but if the changes are minor you might be able to still use DualShock 4s for many games. IIRC you could use the original DualShock to play many PS2 games that didn't require the analog buttons added on the DualShock 2.

I'll just make this easy - if the Dualshock 4 was the same shape, size and configuration as the xbox one or xbox 360 controller, I wouldn't have played my XB1 much and I wouldn't have invested so much in PC. If the dualshock 5 is in the same configuration as a controller from 20 years ago, then I doubt I'll get a PS5.

The DualShock isn't in the same configuration from 20 years ago.

You're not one of those people who think that symmetrical sticks are somehow obsolete, are you?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a better quality DualShock, slightly bigger, with a more durable and more accurate d-pad for fighting games.

Bonus:

Paddles
Better battery life

I hope the DualShock 5 has these improvements.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
To make things easier in the future, the DS4 will need to be supported in perpetuity. Why bother making a controller that is basically just a DS4 with extra features when you can just support DS4 on everything and have an optional "DS5" that goes way out there with different design

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
DS4 will be compatible most likely, but they WILL sell PS5 with a new controller...

New generation = new hardware.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Make DS5 programmable with custom profiles. Also have dedicated profile buttons in place of the stupid touchpad.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Slap a better battery in there and add a physical on/off switch for the light bar (or better yet remove it and add a better solution for VR tracking) and it would be near perfect.
The D-pad could be improved and paddles would be welcomed also. Definitely not a deal breaker though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Make DS5 programmable with custom profiles.
You don't need a new controller for that - it can be done in software.

I don't get the touchpad hate. It stays out of way, and when used, it's not bad.
Better battery life, for sure. Never used paddles, but it sounds cool
I think some people assume the touch pad is the reason the battery life is so bad on the controller.
I'm not sure that's the case, considering that the Steam Controller probably has the best battery life of current-gen controllers, and it uses two touchpads.

Keep the general shape, size and style but replace one or both of the joysticks with trackballs. Kind of like the REvolve controller pictured below.

trackball-controller.jpg
Touchpads are a far better solution than trackballs. They're far more customizable, and they don't require regular maintenance.
The Steam Controller started out using a trackball, but quickly switched to touchpads.

lS6OLuE.jpg

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason that shit shouldn't be compatible with ps4 controllers. Make a DualShock 5 but make them extra new. Gotta have a reason to want to buy them.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Ditch the share button and change the name to F1 and F2 like a keyboard. Put them beneath the touchpad.

Release an official pro controller.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd be happy if it was functionally and ergonomically identical. But please give it a modern battery life.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least make the the light bar able to turn off. Also, better stick surface so 3rd party additions won't be just about mandatory.

I see a lot of complaint about the touch pad, but it's fine. A lot of games use it smartly and make the very limited button count go a much longer distance. I wouldn't say no to replacing it with at least 3 regular buttons (or paddles or sth), but just getting rid of it would be bad.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think there will be a DS5 and it will be similar to DS4. I dont think they will do anything crazy like a break apart for motion controls. They'll remove the touch pad and light bar. I don't think they'll add a screen. Maybe add "HD Rumble". Maybe Wifi for streaming. I expect they will do all new motion controllers though for VR. I think the industry has figured out that people just want a really solid controller and to sit on a couch looking at a TV. I would love to see them do an Elite controller too.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fix the damn battery life. I know they will never offset the sticks, but one can dream. They better keep the track pad or at least the extra buttons. It's super useful having a universal map button.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely need a new controller with the DS5. Honestly I've found the overall build quality of the DS4 to be rather lacking.

I would like to see higher quality analog sticks, much better battery life, improved triggers, paddles, etc. There's a lot they could improve upon with a DS5. I also wouldn't mind a DS5 Elite either.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the Xbox Elite controller is the real deal, then it should be the standard next-gen if those 4 back bumpers can help games and maybe even create new gameplay opportunities/bring in genres that work best with mouse and keyboard.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
For me, the controller form factor is nigh on perfect. I particularly like having the d-pad in a position that makes it easy to use as a primary input.

I've never found build quality to be a problem, although acknowledge that others have.

Refinements would be:

- improved battery life
- USB C port
- ability to fully turn-off the LED light
- gesture control on the touch pad to control headphone volume

Oct 28, 2017
DS5 built from scratch for sure. DS4 was worlds better than the unusable DS3, but it's still a PoS. Awful battery life and build quality. Light bar and touchpad totally pointless. Should borrow elements from the xbox elite controller like paddles and profiles as well.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DS5 built from scratch for sure. DS4 was worlds better than the unusable DS3, but it's still a PoS. Awful battery life and build quality. Light bar and touchpad totally pointless.
I think the light is still cool but yeah, either needs to not consume so much power or actually make substantial use with it.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DualShock 4 was pretty good.

1. Battery - Improved battery life would be a nice change, it still surprises me how terrible the battery life is considering that the DualShock 3 had a decent battery life.

2. Touchpad - I personally wasn't a fan of it, get rid of it and bring back Start & Select. However, since the PS5 is BC, I don't see it going away.

3. Sticks - Wish we had asymmetrical sticks, this one doesn't bother me much. I can switch between both easily, but prefer Asymm.

4. Rumble Triggers - When I first heard of this, I thought it was so silly, but I love it on the Xbox controllers. I'd like to have it on the DS5.

Back bumpers, USB-C would be a nice addition too.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017