• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should price factor into a game's review/score?

• Yes

Votes: 350 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 274 43.9%

• Total voters

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely.

Launchprice needs to be a factor. Is this Ferrari great? Yes it is, but is it worth the price?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in some cases. A good 5h game for 60€ or 70€ might be considered a poor investment by some people out there so I see no issue in pointing that out, even if the price changes down the line. I don't think it should impact the score, but there's no harm in expressing one's concerns with regards to that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely can and should do in some cases.

That street fighter 2 port on switch, for example, had a lot of mentions of how it wasn't worth the price, probably fair given that practically the same game had launched on psn/xbox360 for a fraction of the price (it was something like$15 on psn, $40 on switch at the respective launches), years earlier.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
A kinda good game for 10 bucks > a kinda good game for 60 bucks.
A great game for 30 bucks > a bad game for 30 bucks.

Doesn't mean that a bad game for 5 bucks should be reviewed better than a masterpiece that costs 60 bucks tho.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
No, time is the more important element. Not many games are gonna change my enjoyment on a $30 difference.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, a review should judge the quality of a game. Leave the value judgement to the customer.
Tell me if the game's good, i'll be the judge of whether it'll be worth my money.

Price is too susceptible to change. Like, just because a game dropped in price, doesn't make it "better".

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This is another Gamepass thread really and I mean it has to doesn't it? If the conclusion of the review is if you should play it or not then surely having it on a service like Gamepass versus having to pay $60 makes a huge difference to the recommendation.

The problem is for games like Horizon 4 where it's clearly worth $60 but you can still get it on GP for basically nothing, by that logic it should be a 10/10.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I... don't know what to think about it.

Depends of the intention of the writer. Some just want to talk about their impressions of the game, others want to say if you should buy it or not.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think it should (in my case anyways).

There've been plenty of games that I've been able to excuse their issues for due to their price, I know I'd be a lot harsher on them if they were full priced.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's a gray area for sure. I mean, if something comes out that's great but is only 2 hours long, it's going to get a shit score unless it's $20 or less or has an INSANE amount of replayability. But as others mentioned, it changes so quickly nowadays, it's hard to really make it a factor when reviewing a game.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Unless the price point is completely out of whack with what you're getting, it absolutely should not factor into a review.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Yes -- if a company is charging $60 for a title then I expect a AAA or high tier-AA game. Anything else and I will feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This is another Gamepass thread really and I mean it has to doesn't it? If the conclusion of the review is if you should play it or not then surely having it on a service like Gamepass versus having to pay $60 makes a huge difference to the recommendation.

But that's a value proposition which is far more subjective than a determination of quality, which can be a somewhat objective metric.

To someone who doesn't really have any limitations with regards to how much they spend on gaming (because i buy like 1-2 games a month and make a decent living) i feel like it'd muddy review scores and be somewhat patronizing. Tell me if it's worth my time and don't worry about my bank account, thanks.

Sure, add a value score. But the review should judge the quality of the product itself.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
no.

if a game is full price and doesn't offer enough to justify that price then yeah mention it but i wouldn't lower the score because of it.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
No. What's the point if all games drop quite fast in price?
I dunno... That factor becomes meaningless months/years down the line... Tough one

As time goes by, and the game drops in price, it also gets patched and can itself change as well (hopefully). I believe most reviews are aimed at gamers looking to buy at launch, and then user reviews will help you decide months down the road when the state of the game (and the price) has shifted.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If a game is SP with no reason to replay, then yes. $60 is a good amount of money to drop on something that you will finish and never touch again. If the game is online focused or has replayability built into the core gameplay loop, then judging it on price seems a little pointless.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It should in extreme cases

if a game is low priced compared to what it gives,it should up the score

If its expensive for what it offers,it should get a lower one

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It depends if you see reviews as being about a product, or being about art.

Personally no, I don't think it should factor into things - it's worth mentioning for sure, but the game should stand alone from a variable factor which will change over time and is independent from the game itself

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because what the game's expectations, objectives, etc. are is an important factor. The price of a game inevitably makes it ground for comparison with other similarly priced games. To get a recent example, Crackdown 3 was kinda trashed, but had been an indie game sold for 20$, it would have been rated a lot higher. Prices define expectations as they are also relevant to the game's value, length, production values. If a game lasts 1 hour but is only 5 bucks, I can probably recommend it. If it's a 60$ game, unless it's designed to be endlessly replayed like Rez or a bullet hell shooter, it's probably not worth it and the price will have a factor in the rating.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, in my opinion reviewers are evaluating the quality and enjoyment derived from a game, not the value proposition.

Ufaowl

Mar 6, 2018
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I think there should be two kinds of reviews. Because there are different approaches in choosing a game to play. As for me, I don't need to know price to decide weither I want to play the game or not. Usually there are very few times when price of a game is more than $60. So, if i like the game it most likely costs not more than that. And i don't care if it's $10 or $20 or $60. I don't have much time to play games so it has to be the best I want

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
And what if they patch out major issues a reviewer had? Things change, that's a fact. A review reflects the state of the game on the day the review is released, and price should factor in if it's an issue, of course.

But that's the developer improving upon the product. Not the retailer clearing shelves. Should Fallout 76 review scores be allowed to change if Bethesda patches the game? Sure, why not.
Should they, just because Best Buy is selling it for 20 bucks? Nah, i don't think so.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but, with a price point should come content expectations or even production values, which kinda should influence the how we score the game, don't you think?
And I'm saying if you dock points for not being worth the price on release, how helpful is that review score to someone buying the game a year later or whatever. It's not so clear cut.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I voted no but in reality a review is a review so price is definitely a factor. Now, if someone's doing a critique, then no. Movies don't get rated based on the price of the ticket, do they?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
yes but ditch review scores.

something like "Buy" "Rent" "Avoid" would be a good scoring system.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Review scores are reductionist. If you get rid of the score, there's no harm in talking about the price in the text of the review somewhere. As time passes and the price changes, you can ignore that part.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
As time goes by, and the game drops in price, it also gets patched and can itself change as well (hopefully). I believe most reviews are aimed at gamers looking to buy at launch, and then user reviews will help you decide months down the road when the state of the game (and the price) has shifted.
This is true, but there are some instances where a game gets re-reviewed after significant patches/changes. I don't think anyone has done that for a game dropping in price.

Oct 25, 2017
I have different expectations for a $10 game from a $60 one.
Just because a game might get cheaper in the future doesn't mean one should review it as such.
Kind of like reviewing a game being hopeful patches fix it

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Yes, but only by categories. I mean divided like AAA 60 $ / AA 40 -30 $ / Indie 15 $.
Not like games for full price and on discounts.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I think so, yes. Like for instance, if a publisher sells a port of a years old game for a full $60/£40, it absolutely should be called out on in reviews.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
yes but ditch review scores.

something like "Buy" "Rent" "Avoid" would be a good scoring system.
Karak does "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent or Never Touch" - which is fine, too. (though i personally just translate that to 8+, 6-7, 'super short game' and '5 and below' in more standardized metrics ;)

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No.

Games should be reviewed if they are good or bad. People should decide if a game is too expensive for them, not reviewers.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I voted no because that's the idea I want to convey, though the answer is obviously yes.

No, because I hate it when reviewers assume for me what is my dollar : hours of entertainment ratio. I mostly hate this because they assume I'm a 12 year old with very little money and lots of free time that needs to be wasted for as long as possible, leading to excessively dull and bloated games. In reality I'm 36 and have much, much more money than free time, and any kind of padding utterly destroys the game for me. I can make my own decision whether I find something worthy of my money.

Yes, because I do like that there are different price levels and different breadths of experiences, in that I think it's okay that a student-made $5 game can be judged to different standards.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Absolutely, there's no doubt imo. Reviews are based on the game at that point, not if / when it drops in price months down the line. Expectations for a budget title are often fairly lower than a pricier one - even if it's just from a production value perspective. Price is a major factor for many folks buying games therefore should play a role in the overall evaluation of a product.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it factors into my decisions on buying a game. a 20 dollar price can turn a meh game into a must buy.