• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Such controversy.

50%: yes
30%: yes but they won't
20%: yes but they won't because atlus

Deleted member 40335

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Homophobia and Inflammatory Generalizations Over a Series of Posts; Account in Junior Phase
I'm not a fan of western media/gamers telling what developers in other countries/cultures can't do because it doesn't fit into their moral compass.

While it doesn't justify how the game portrays people of the lgbt community, Are we quick to forget that Kevin Spacey was a gay sexual predator? Lets not pretend that people of a different sexual orientations aren't capable of being shitty people.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Some of it is closely tied to the storyline like Ann's chapter for example. Aspects of it could have been done better. The gay guys made me feel embarrassed for the game whenever they appeared. Sure, there are gay guys in the real world who act just as flamboyant irl but feel the game went overboard with the stereotypes and creepiness with their interactions with your characters.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Yes!

But they won't

They probably will double down on those elements like they did with Catherine

Their stans are going to be fine with it as long as they can fuck the counselor

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Such controversy.

50%: yes
30%: yes but they won't
20%: yes but they won't because atlus
Don't know if you noticed that's not the case, but just in case you didn't:

Ok, so if we're going to go this far, should things like Huckleberry Finn be read in schools, or burned out of existence?
Also see this entire thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/do...lly-progressive-themes-in-their-games.110200/

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
People need to understand that this is Atlus

Look what happened with Catherine

One thing to another thing and people will be up in arms about P5 in Smash

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how the game really goes from "Boys will be boys is a bad justification for abuse" and then in the very next story plot, have the cast do some "boys will be boys" shit.

It's baffling.

For whatever reason, the game draws a line between sexual harassment of teenagers from adults and sexual harassment between teenagers and says the latter is okay, whereas the former is not. It definitely undermines the themes of the game.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I know another poster already brought this up, but it'd be classic Atlus to update a game with new textures, spaces, characters, character updates, graphics enhancements, re-create and change previous events/sequences, make significant changes to dungeons, gameplay systems...

but be all like "PRESERVE" about the homophobia and sexual harassment.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Well yeah. It's not like it's hard, it's two completely random scenes with no impact on the plot. Seeing as they're apparently rewriting some stuff to accomodate the Royal stuff, I see no reason not to do away with the worst parts of the original. Just reach out to Sega of America to drop the japanese offices a line about how folks in the West weren't too amused with those gags for good measure.

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing Homophobia
No they shouldn't. If people choose to be offended by something that someone has done or said, that's not the problem of that someone. People are not forced to buy the game. They can choose to ignore it and/or not buy it. Simple as that. Every opinion has a value and a right to exist, even extreme/offensive ones, as long as people with those opinons can also accept that there are other opinions out there as well (which is the main problem. Most more "extreme" points of view tend to paint the world as black and white and justify bothering people with different opinions or even justify violence, which is not ok).

So, no. Atlus should release what they want to release. People can choose to buy it or not to buy it or to ignore it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of western media/gamers telling what developers in other countries/cultures can't do because it doesn't fit into their moral compass.

While it doesn't justify how the game portrays people of the lgbt community, Are we quick to forget that Kevin Spacey was a gay sexual predator? Lets not pretend that people of a different sexual orientations aren't capable of being shitty people.

OMG, are you serious with this BS??!!

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017

Haha, wow. You are either a fucking idiot or a homophobic dickhead. What a brain dead post. Had to get this out there, totally worth the ban.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017

What?!?!?!

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ok but homophobia is bad and isn't a traditional Japanese cultural pearl to be cherished.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017

Fuck off.
I'm Bi and I don't need someone to be "But what about Kevin Spacey" in regards to my sexual orientation

Deleted member 40335

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Haha, wow. You are either a fucking idiot or a homophobic dickhead. What a brain dead post. Had to get this out there, totally worth the ban.

Nice to know this is a place where we can have civil discussions. You must be the type to yell about how shitty right wing people are without realizing you're just as loud.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to know this is a place where we can have civil discussions. You must be the type to yell about how shitty right wing people are without realizing you're just as loud.

....you're gonna both sides this?
sseriously why do i bother existing when someone's going to say i have to respect the viewpoints of the people who think i should not exist

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Oh yeah, homophobes and transphobes should be given equal time as those who advocate equality. Get out of here with that nonsense.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Nice to see you're arguing in bad faith to try and further an agenda to portray progressive thought as regressive. Thanks. Really doing your part.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

The problem with the right wing is not that they are "loud" I assure you. There's a reason we don't refer to agents of the state as "jack-megaphoned thugs"

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
It's not about the volume it's about the content of your words. Yours were homophobic and stupid. There is no civil discussion to be had.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Normal people: Maybe it's actually bad that the only gay man in Persona 5 are portrayed as middle-aged sexual predators, because historically gay men have been stereotyped and demonized as sexual predators
A Wise Poster: actually, kevin spacey was a sexual predator, therefore,

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Normal people: Maybe it's actually bad that the only gay man in Persona 5 are portrayed as middle-aged sexual predators, because historically gay men have been stereotyped and demonized as sexual predators
A Wise Poster: actually, kevin spacey was a sexual predator, therefore,
Wise Poster and Japanese Culture Expert ☝️🧐

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Atlus they don't care they won't change a thing and if they do they would make it worse, better to just remove all gay characters altogether from P5

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
"Kevin Spacey was a sexual predator, therefore it's totally fine for a Japanese developer to include a horrible stereotype in their videogame" is one hell of a homophobic galaxy brain.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Definitely , those scenes were pointless/stupid in the game , so taking them out would make the game that much better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would, but they won't. Atlus is never gonna change unless the people making their games change.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Well yeah. It's not like it's hard, it's two completely random scenes with no impact on the plot. Seeing as they're apparently rewriting some stuff to accomodate the Royal stuff, I see no reason not to do away with the worst parts of the original. Just reach out to Sega of America to drop the japanese offices a line about how folks in the West weren't too amused with those gags for good measure.

That would require the japanese offices to care about western players' opinions, which I am betting they don't. Typically japanese game companies think of the worldwide audience as more of a bonus than anything, and only really care about japanese players' opinions.

The most Atlus USA could do is remove those scenes when they localize the game.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That would require the japanese offices to care about western players' opinions, which I am betting they don't. Typically japanese game companies think of the worldwide audience as more of a bonus than anything, and only really care about japanese players' opinions.

Nothing of value would be lost, on the contrary.

Those scenes are a stain on the game, and completely against the themes of freedom and breaking the status quo they tried to work with. I hope Atlus USA does just that, or that SEGA intervenes and hurls that shit out into oblivion where it belongs.

Man, I love Persona, but it's been shitty with the transphobia and homphobia and tone-deaf scenes since P4 :/

JinxMonsoon

Oct 31, 2017

Can we all just stop with the "it's just Japan" bullshit? Japanese LGBT community exists and raised concerns about those issues as well. Don't erase the existence of progressive, feminist and queer representation in Japan.