• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
One first party trend that has recently emerged with the Switch, was Nintendo's interest in publishing and producing games from independent developers in the West. Snipperclips from SFB Games, Cadence of Hyrule from Brace Yourself Games, and The Stretchers from Tarsier studios. However, do you think Nintendo should try to do the same and find new indie studios in Japan to publish a game with? Nintendo's worked with many independent Japanese studios before, but I think it could be cool to try and search for Newer, smaller developers to produce a game with.

Nov 23, 2017
I wish there was more press or info or whatever or interest on this forum about Japanese Indies, I'd love to know more of them. All I can think of off the top of my head is Pixel. But that's my own ignorance for sure about the industry, rather than any sort of judgement on them .

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I think Nintendo should subsidise another western developer as a first party studio. Retro Studios quantity output has been awful.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
I would love to see what EasyGameStation, Petit Depotto, or souvenir circ. would do with a budget from Nintendo, though they are probably all much smaller than the kinds of studios you're thinking of?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'd like to see more from Q Games. I know they've been doing stuff, but their output compared to last gen has been disappointing.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I'd like to mention that Nintendo actually did something like this in the N64 days with Marigul Management. A joint-venture with Recruit to find and fund independent studios make unique games for Nintendo systems. I would like to see Nintendo EPD try something similar, without the joint-venture part.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to mention that Nintendo actually did something like this in the N64 days with Marigul Management. A joint-venture with Recruit to find and fund independent studios make unique games for Nintendo systems. I would like to see Nintendo EPD try something similar, without the joint-venture part.

Hey you're looking at the Marigul expert here who contributed much of the info at Wikipedia during 2007. :P

In fact my WEBSITE is named after them! :P

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I would love to see what EasyGameStation, Petit Depotto, or souvenir circ. would do with a budget from Nintendo, though they are probably all much smaller than the kinds of studios you're thinking of?
Let's see if we can get a Switch port of Gnosia first, as far as Petit Depotto is concerned.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Absolutely. It was a genius idea and most of the devs were born from this. Only Saru Brunei had any prior games, it was Jungle Park for the Bandai Pippin (of all things) and PS1:

Agreed. That Said, I wouldn't have it be a seperate entity like Marigul was. Rather, I think Nintendo should have a position within EPD for scouting independent studios domestically and overseas (if they don't already).

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. That Said, I wouldn't have it be a seperate entity like Marigul was. Rather, I think Nintendo should have a position within EPD for scouting independent studios domestically and overseas (if they don't already).

I like the idea of Marigul where it was all part of one group/umbrella. It was like an initiative with a brand of sorts.

Hell Nintendo should literally revive the Marigul brand (if they can just buy Recruit's part in the company/name/IP) for this purpose again if they can. Such an underrated thing from the N64 and early GC era.

With indies being all the rage, I'm sure Nintendo and a revived Marigul can round up all-new indies not yet formed. Some lead by known folks from major companies or from smaller ones, who knows. Onion Games I think could've been one such team as they fit the bill wonderfully with their sheer creativity. That's what defined Marigul's teams. They had this beautifully abstract, creative take on franchises and all-new ones that dared to be different and unique (Doshin and Cubivore for sure).

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I like the idea of Marigul where it was all part of one group/umbrella. It was like an initiative with a brand of sorts.

I'm just think that it'd be better if it was done via a formal position within EPD. That way Nintendo can have everything under its full control, without needing to negotiate with a joint partner. Perhaps they could give Toyokazu Nonoka, who spearheaded Snipperclips and The Stretchers his own special production group for original Independent games. Similar to what Hideki Konno has with his Smartphone-focused group.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just think that it'd be better if it was done via a formal position within EPD. That way Nintendo can have everything under its full control, without needing to negotiate with a joint partner. Perhaps they could give Toyokazu Nonoka, who spearheaded Snipperclips and The Stretchers his own special production group for original Independent games. Similar to what Hideki Konno has with his Smartphone-focused group.

Oh I agree that it should be under Nintendo's full control. I'm thinking Marigul would be a 1st-party subsidiary entirely focused on this idea of forming new Nintendo-owned indie teams.

Aug 10, 2019
I love the idea of Nintendo leasing out their ip's like with Cadence of Hyrule. No need to purchase the studio, just trust from both parties.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
2020! ;)

Also check out Frogger on Apple Arcade if you haven't already :D
Oh no I didn't want to be seen by you guys saying that šŸ˜­ I promise I still love you! I'm gonna check out Frogger for sure when I get around to trying Apple Arcade, your presence on it is one of the more appealing parts of the service to me!

I expect greatness for 2020 now for sure though, so pressure is on.