• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should they?

• Yes

Votes: 777 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 792 50.5%

• Total voters

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I frankly don't see the point. Ocarina is a great game, but Zelda games already retread a lot of the same ground with each new installment; this would be redundancy on top of redundancy. It's a completely different case than Final Fantasy games, which have entirely different casts, settings, etc. in each main installment.

And note I'm saying the above as someone who loves Zelda far, far mor than FF at this point.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ocarina 3D satiated a lot of the appetite for Ocarina with a better frame rate, improved visuals etc.
Though that was more of a 1-1 remaster from the ground up.

Ocarina remake with an upgraded BOTW engine, new map based on Ocarina's general layout, loaded with heaps of nostalgia, remixed music and leitmotifs with the same general temples, storyline, may be worth pursuing, but don't go in expecting Ocarina of Time part 2, but just a re-imagining of our beloeved game. It will be a new game with the same general template of Ocarina. But as with anything that is beloved,That may turn some people off, and I expect a lot of hurt fans that had their head canon and cherished wishes and 'obvious' things dashed in the remaster.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Zelda is not a story heavy series there isn't much to gain compared to a new game, plus the dungeons are not impressive anymore unless they change them

BotW cutscenes were horrible

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No.
FFVIIR was a unique thing that the absolute majority of remakes should not, and cannot, try to achieve, and OoT is definitely one of those.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I voted no because I want when that OoT remake happens to be a remake on the same level as FF7. So, maybe for next Nintendo console.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I'd rather have a Skyward Sword remake.

Like, literally re-make the game. Start over.
LMAO

Okay, I think a Skyward sword rerelease with the removal of the stupid text playing every time you got an item would be worth it. Also overhaul the graphics. And the whole flying thing. And redo the controls without motionplus. And stop the robot from talking so much.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Yes, but I only want them to update the graphics and keep everything else as is. And no, the 3DS remake is not enough.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I only want them to update the graphics and keep everything else as is. And no, the 3DS remake is not enough.

While I wouldn't mind this, the 3DS remake is so recent, I feel a lot of people will say its not enough and the game will get critized for being a lazy 'port' of the 3DS version even if its obvious its on a new engine. They'll need to do more.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
OOT doesn't need a remake. If they do one it should include all the things that were dropped during the original development like changing seasons.

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'd love a modern OoT, there are a few of the more recent motion controlled Zeldas I'd like to see get modified to be playable with standard controllers first.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
OOT doesn't need a remake. If they do one it should include all the things that were dropped during the original development like changing seasons.
I'd be down for that, since the original attempt to remake it turned into A Link between worlds.

Re-imagining Hyrule from LTTP may also be less risky from a fan outrage perspective as the original was a 2D game. Though I think I understand the OP's comparison of Ocarina and FF7, as they were both of the same generation. And hold a similar status as the defining game of their respective franchises.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a big reason FF7 remake was so sought after in the first place, outside of just updating the graphics, was because of the direction the series went in. There have been several Zelda games since Ocarina of Time that follow directly in its footsteps.

I personally don't really see the point in reimagining Ocarina of Time like FF7 when you can just make an entirely different game

For a more drastic example there's Yoshi, what's the point of a Yoshi's Island remake when the sequels are all kinda Yoshi's Island remakes anyway
I frankly don't see the point. Ocarina is a great game, but Zelda games already retread a lot of the same ground with each new installment; this would be redundancy on top of redundancy. It's a completely different case than Final Fantasy games, which have entirely different casts, settings, etc. in each main installment.

And note I'm saying the above as someone who loves Zelda far, far mor than FF at this point.

Agree with you two. Ocarina of Time remake isn't needed when so many of the Zelda games follow the same formula. Would rather they work on a new game

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a big reason FF7 remake was so sought after in the first place, outside of just updating the graphics, was because of the direction the series went in. There have been several Zelda games since Ocarina of Time that follow directly in its footsteps.

But then Breath of the Wild happened and everything changed.

If they remake OOT, I'd expect we see it on Switch 2, so PS4 level graphics. Same jump between gens as FF7 and its remake and RE2 and its remake. And just as FF7 and RE2 took influence from the newer entries in their respective franchise, I'd expect an OOT remake to be heavily influenced by BOTW.

Completely open world. Giant Hyrule Field with soooooooooo much stuff to do. Complete dungeons in any order. The list goes on.

But at the end of the day, you're still completing the same 8 dungeons from OOT, freeing the sages, visiting the areas from OOT we all remember, meeting the characters we remember... with new stuff mixed in.

A legit OOT remake inspired by BOTW would be massive.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sure why not?

I'd be 100% fine if they never do though, the game already has a great remake and even with the iffy framerate the original is still as amazing as it ever was.

But sure, why not? Everything else is getting remakes anyway so why not one of the greatest games ever made?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No. The strength of FF 7 is the narrative and its characters. It makes sense to do a remake like the one they did because they can keep those things.

Ocarina of Time's narrative is indifferent. There is little of interest in expanding or changing its story. Neither Zelda, Link or Ganondorf have a strong personality that distinguishes it from other games.

If you make changes to the story, you change the world (which is just "generic Hyrule"), you change the dungeons, and you change the gameplay ...

It is literally a different Zelda game. A remake of Ocarina of Time like FF7 would be basically a new Zelda. The only type of remake that makes sense is like Link's Awakening or Crash and Spyro.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally yes. They should borrow some stuff from BOTW like no loading in the surface and this time it must have a secret quest to get the triforce. I really enjoy Oot narrative.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is not a story heavy series there isn't much to gain compared to a new game, plus the dungeons are not impressive anymore unless they change them

BotW cutscenes were horrible
lol Forest Temple, Water Temple and Spirit Temple are still some of the most beloved dungeons in the series. Fire Temple and Shadow Temple also have their fair share of fans.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if grezzo can do it, sure, but i dont Aonumas team wasting their time on it

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd buy it, but I don't need it.

Please do the Links Awakening remake treatment to Oracle of Seasons/Time first please.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Split it into 3 games: kid link, adult link, and post ending arc with multiple timelines affecting other Zelda games. Nomura should write it.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
- Both games are masterpieces, but Ocarina doesn't have the same glaring faults that FFVII does. There's nothing as silly as the Popeye-armed character models or "This guy are sick" translation in Ocarina. What problems there were (blurriness and framerate) and even some that weren't (the Water Temple) were well addressed in the 3DS remake.

- FFVII was designed and marketed, even more than other games of its era, as a visually spectacular title, and as such is in more need of updating to keep that characteristic spectacle alive. Ocarina is more about puzzles and dungeons, and still has the best dungeons in the series when it comes to challenge combined with thematic weight.

- Ocarina's plot, though effective, is based on simple archetypes that wouldn't benefit much, if at all, from expansion. FFVII covers much more complex topics that are as relevant as ever and thus worthy of further elaboration and discussion.

Also, apropos of nothing: Midgar was the easy part of remaking FFVII. Given how superfluous yet still lacking SE's treatment of that small area has been, I have grave doubts about their readiness or willingness to render the vast remainder of the game in any reasonably faithful or coherent manner. Be careful what you wish for.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say no, but in the spirit of positivity I'll instead try to answer the question: "What could an OoT remake do in order to make me to be excited about it?" Here's what I'm thinking:

- Graphics that really drive home the Studio Ghibli aesthetic. BotW is already kind of doing this, but we could go further.
- Completely redesigned dungeons. Not that OoT's are bad, I've just already played them. Give me new layouts and puzzles.
- Fully voiced, every single line of dialogue in the game, even random NPCs.
- Female Link option

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about this recently and I decided that I would want an OOT remake. Not broken up into pieces like FF7R, but a full reimagined game. Doesn't have to have "extra" content, though that'd probably be impossible. However, I'd love it for the dungeons and puzzles to be redesigned.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no point. FF7R is a complete reimagining of the world and story of the original, and we already got something close to that with Twilight Princess

Also, I saw this earlier today:

🤢
Someone shared it on a discord saying that it was incredible that a fan did a better job than Nintendo, because "it looks so much better than BOTW"
Ugh

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I don't need another split in the timeline.

Just take Ocarina of Time 3D and make it Ocarina of Time HD.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would prefer a 3d remake of lttp instead

Yeah, this. LttP technically not actually getting a remake due to LBW going in a different direction and becoming a sequel could be a blessing in disguise for a total re-imagining of LttP. Though it'd probably be more likely that they do a game that tries to recreate LttP's artwork like the way BotW recreates Zelda 1's artwork.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would take an HD version of the 3DS port any day. It looks great from what I've seen here from emulated screens and is still so close to how people remember the N64 game looking.

This game doesn't need a remake though. The classic look is fine for the scope of the game.
I would rather let them remake older games in an interesting style and develop new Zeldas that branch out. OoT will always be there and aged way better than FFVII from a visual standpoint too.