• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 17, 2021
Was inclined to ask after seeing the Booster Course Pass announced for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, as opposed to a Mario Kart 9.

gumM2SM.png

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't 8 still selling like crazy? Why would they kill the goose while it's still laying golden eggs rapid fire?

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 43.35 million copies as of December 31, 2021, so it's a no brainer for Nintendo to offer DLC with such a massive player base. The question really is what took them so long?

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The game is still selling, this is their best way to go. I'd only argue they should've started the DLC route 2 years ago.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It still sells supremely well. These courses are an indication that 9 won't be here anytime soon, and I imagine we won't see it until at least the next nintendo generation begins.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
More courses the merrier. Quite happy for one massive Mario Kart I can play a massive variety of tracks on online.

And as someone who had a WII U I will now be adding to those massive MK8 sales.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
perfectly fine with it considering how good 8D is
9 needs to be a pretty huge departure or improvement to even be worth making

Oct 25, 2017
"Should" and "OK" are a bit ambiguous. Are you asking people which they'd prefer? Or what makes the most sense for Nintendo as a company trying to make money?

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
My guess is that Mario Kart 9 is going to be such a departure gameplay wise for the series, they figured to let 8 be the "ultimate" Mario kart for another 2+ years.

I expect Mario Kart 9 to be announced before the end of 2023

OP
OP
electricmastro
Jul 17, 2021
Isn't 8 still selling like crazy? Why would they kill the goose while it's still laying golden eggs rapid fire?

Interesting, because of how issue may be taken with constantly building on what's essentially a nearly 10 year old Wii U Mario Kart game as opposed to making a brand new one for the next generation.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Why would they announce Mario Kart 9, a game that can carry an entire lifecycle of a console, when the Switch has maybe 2 years left and MK8 still sells gangbusters?

Save it for the launch year of Switch 2, and just continue support for MK8. Absolutely no sense in releasing it now.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want a Mario Kart 9 solely because I'm bored out of my skull by 8's item set after all these years

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, because of how issue may be taken with constantly building on what's essentially a nearly 10 year old Wii U Mario Kart game as opposed to making a brand new one for the next generation.

I think that's why Mario Kart 8 DX is getting DLC this late in the game, because Mario Kart 9 will be an exclusive on whatever is next (most likely a Switch 2).

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure releasing 9 on switch would have much of an upgrade outside of any gimmick. Expansion pack is the way to go but it would have been nice to have a new set of unlockables to go along with it.

Plus launching the next system with 9 basically guarantees high sales numbers from the get go.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I expect MK9 for the next system at this point.

The install base for 8 is huge and they can keep making money off of it this way, from folks who already own it AND people who don't yet own it but might now see the game as a larger value.

It's got to have great cost-to-dev value compared to making a whole new game as well. It's just smart business.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Meh this way, we're getting the same number of new* courses for a lot less money. MK9 will still come out eventually so it's fine.

*okay remastered or whatever, not fully new.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Makes much more sense to continue getting sales out of 8 and prep the next big Mario Kart game for the Switch 2.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, 8 is till in the number 1 spot in the weekly charts and is the most selling first party game.

People are still buying MK8, either as a game or in Switch Bundles, Maaaaybe after they're done with the whole 8 waves of DLC.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I've said from the announcement I wanted and assumed Deluxe would be the only Switch Mario Kart and that seems to be happening. MK10 on Switch 2 makes more sense, and they can shake things up more since 8 will probably still be playable on it.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for more content being added and it is a fairly large amount, I've actually been asking that they do a mario kart ultimate type deal with every track and character from the past for a good while now and it's getting closer to that so I'm happy for that, but I wish they'd add more battle mode arenas. The only mode I can actually play with my wife, family and friends is battle mode because they don't enjoy the racing modes. We play battle mode weekly as a group and only having those 8 stages, 1 of which sucks so badly we skip it everytime, is really disappointing when they're adding so many more racing tracks.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Why would they announce a Switch 2 game before officially announcing the Switch 2?

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm fine with the DLC. I do think Nintendo should have released these extra tracks a few years back though.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'm personally fine with MK8 getting more content.

The game is still a ton of fun.
Me too but I would like some extra stuff not just tracks. Some extra single player modes and a better online system.

For example instead of the constantly going back to track select after each race, it could work like small cups, selecting the next four tracks, playing those and then going back to room.
Or an online mode where you just keep playing random tracks non stop. Generally the online works pretty well but it's barebones imo.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
In terms of business it makes sense for them to keep making DLC for MK8, it's still selling so why not.

I myself wish them to release MK9 because I simply don't like the driving physics of MK8, no amount of DLC can help on that.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
we're like 5 years in. we should have gotten this MK8 DLC like 4 years ago. I do hope they don't announce MK9 for Switch tho. that shit should be Switch 2 exclusive.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I mean it's clear to me the only MK10 (9 is Tour and people will have to accept that when the next MK is called MK10) we would have gotten on Switch would have been called "Mario Kart Tour Evolved" or something. Taking the tour formula and bringing it to a console with a mix of Tour's courses, new courses in the same vein that Tour has done, and the same kinda retro/reto update courses Tour has done. I think people would have hated that far more then MK8D DLC even if at the end of the day the tracks in this dlc are what would have made up like 80% of that new game.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
If these 48 tracks don't include all the Rainbow Roads I'll flip some tables

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that MK8 DX is the Mario Kart of the switch so naw, I think it's fine that they're just adding courses to it.

It's if the Switch successor comes out and they just bring out Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultra where it can be seen as a problem.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda think they should turn MK8 into an "Ultimate" type of game where every Mario Kart course is available.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Adding more courses is ok.

Mario Kart 9 should get a generational bump and keeping that aside while having the single most course heavy Mario Kart on this Switch is great.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
9 was never plausible for this gen. would be nice but doesn't make any business sense. I would expect it to be on Switch 2 and have a unique twist like smash kart or whatever else they wanna do

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm guessing development on Mario Kart 10 hasn't gone as fast as they would've expected, and they are doing this to tide people over.
No matter how many copies a game sells, announcing DLC for a complete edition port that launched 5 years prior is pretty unusual.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point there just isn't any reason to make a sequel unless they really shake things up. So say they have a cool new mechanic but are shelving it just to sell dlc, then that would be objectionable to me.

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
On the technical side, a new MK wouldn't be much of an upgrade on the current system.
In terms of mechanics MK8 is still satisfying and it is installed basically on every sold Switch.

So DLC is a good strategy, even if they could have started way earlier.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Mario Kart 8 isn't my kind of game so I'm saying this from an outsiders perspective, but frankly I see too many games I do like or see potential in get dropped like a hot potato sometimes even days after they are launched and it gets frankly disheartening. It was really neat just how much additional content Crash Team Racing got post launch, so I can't see why anybody would be disappointed with MK8's constant ongoing support and frankly truck load of new (technically) content, everything about this looks really cool. You don't have to keep doing yearly installments, sometimes what you have is a good base for more content, helps cultivate a long time player base.

If only I could say the same about another popular legacy franchise's racing game.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
'Issue taken' by who? A few internet nerds? The millions of people still buying MK8 every year clearly don't have an issue with it lol.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
If they cannot add anything to the MK formula with a MK9, they should just add courses.
I have been asking for more courses for a few years. And now MK8 is finally getting some new content.

I am quite happy with the decision.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I don't think the graphics of a potential Mario Kart 9 would look drastically different on the Switch. I love an all-in-one Ultimate Mario Kart package. I actually expected this DLC years ago.