• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Backstory:
My sister goes to school in upstate NY and left because her college went online. The problem is that she only brought back about half her things (even though I told her she needed to ship all her shit back because she there was no way she was going back to in person classes).

Now I'm wondering if she should just fly back now to grab all her shit or wait until May. Her apartment lease ends on May 31st so she has some time left, but I think we're just worried that she might not be able to fly back in May. Is this risk worth it now? Things are only going to get worse from here, I assume.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Are the items absolutely essential? Also is it a driveable distance?

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
her stuff isn't worth bringing the virus back to your family, now or then. It's probably best to see what happens in May. She's not the only one who had to leave their stuff behind

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Upstate NY is a little close to be risking it if you ask me, especially if it's all non-essential items.

Best idea is to make a plan for May, and make it a good plan to mitigate as much exposure as possible.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I would absolutely avoid getting on a plane now unless you are OK with the fact that you'll likely contract COVID-19 in the process. Airports/Planes seems like they are extremely high risk to me. If you can self-isolate without concern for 14 days afterwards, and don't have or need to be in contact with anyone who is at risk you could just go for it.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
There are a number of companies in school towns that are provding pack up and ship services if you can get them access. Try the school community website and forums. I found tons of info on University of Michigan's subreddit for my son when we moved him out. I was also going to wait and go back to pack him up but my wife insisted that we move him out right away which was the right call.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Backstory:
My sister goes to school in upstate NY and left because her college went online. The problem is that she only brought back about half her things (even though I told her she needed to ship all her shit back because she there was no way she was going back to in person classes).

Now I'm wondering if she should just fly back now to grab all her shit or wait until May. Her apartment lease ends on May 31st so she has some time left, but I think we're just worried that she might not be able to fly back in May. Is this risk worth it now? Things are only going to get worse from here, I assume.
Stay the fuck away from Cornell. Confirmed cases on campus. All faculty were notified.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Pay movers or friends to pack up all of the stuff and store it somewhere or have it shipped back. Flying would be crazy talk at this point.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this should just be locked immediately with the mod's reason being "stay at home"

OP knew the answer to this question before asking, it's not even worth the conversation

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am seriously confused by this question. She needs to get her stuff. Okay, makes sense I guess.

But apparently "her stuff" is so insignificant in quantity that she could carry it with her on a plane trip back.

So why can't you simply have that stuff shipped via US Mail?

OP
OP
wisdom0wl

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I am seriously confused by this question. She needs to get her stuff. Okay, makes sense I guess.

But apparently "her stuff" is so insignificant in quantity that she could carry it with her on a plane trip back.

So why can't you simply have that stuff shipped via US Mail?
Because her friends left the state as well, and the other girls in her apartment left their shit there too. She doesn't have anyone to pack her stuff up. She brought 3 check in bags worth on her way back, but she's got about 2 suitcases worth of things left.

I'm asking this question because it's obviously bad now, but it's definitely gonna be shit in 2 months. Is that risk worth taking?

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
A sealed tube with recycled air and dozens(?) of other people seems like the last place you'd want to be.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Because her friends left the state as well, and the other girls in her apartment left their shit there too. She doesn't have anyone to pack her stuff up. She brought 3 check in bags worth on her way back, but she's got about 2 suitcases worth of things left.

I'm asking this question because it's obviously bad now, but it's definitely gonna be shit in 2 months. Is that risk worth taking?

What kind of stuff are we talking about? Unless it's insulin or Animal Crossing what would be worth risking her health and those around her just to fly across the country for some stuff?

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pay the landlord or the janitor to ship it to you? Bonusdeal: He could start renting it out this april again instead of waiting till the end of may

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world is full of unemployed people cooped up in their homes, looking for some way to find money. It seems to me that you (or more likely your sister) could probably find someone local & trustworthy to go to her place, pack up her things, and ship it all out. Mail them the apartment key and pay them $250, and it will still be cheaper than a cross-country plane trip.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
What kind of stuff are we talking? Unless it's valuable jewels or something, I'd leave it.

OP
OP
wisdom0wl

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What kind of stuff are we talking about? Unless it's insulin or Animal Crossing what would be worth risking her health and those around her just to fly across the country for some stuff?
Funnily enough she did leave her Switch there (idiot). It's half sentimental things and clothes/shoes, but the important stuff is her ADD meds, some jewelry, and her other wallet.

It's not like I'm looking to fly right now, and I've already gave her the big brother scolding of a lifetime. I'm just trying to see what I can do to get my sister's shit back.

If he's in Ithaca then good luck trying to rent out that apartment right now. Everyone has fled en masse.
Yepppp. She says no one is there.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
If it wasn't important enough for her to take with her when she first left then there is no way in hell it's important enough to go back and get now.

Oct 28, 2017

Just ask her if it's worth dying for or causing your parents to die for. If yes, she should go get it.

Call the landlord and ask them to ship it or hold it til August.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Millions of people are making these types of decision everyday and I'm not sure why it's such a hard choice for some. Stay where you are.