• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like both Fallout-style RPGs (well what I like most are Fallout 1 and 2 but I'll take a New Vegas-like) and JRPGs, been quite a while since I played a classic RPG though. Never played a DQ game but I suspect I'd like it. One point in DQ's favor is that its on the Switch which always is good since I can then play it in more situations than just the one where I can be in front of my TV. Although I had a whole plan to get Game Pass and then play Outer Worlds for like a dollar so that's a point of favor for it. Of course, I ultimately want to play whatever is the better game. People who have played both, what's your recommendation?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apples and oranges. I like Dragon Quest 11 well enough but it has severe balance issues (it tends to be far too easy, unless you use the special difficulty mode in which case it's at times too hard and also still too easy other times..).

I also liked Outer Worlds, but it's kind of limited in scope and the combat is not varied or interesting enough. If you really like the character/dialog side of these games you might like it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest is a much better game. Just make sure to play with the hard settings stuff enabled for at least harder monsters.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Oof, this is tough. They're both great choices. The Outer Worlds is substantially shorter, so that might sway you one way or another. Maybe play The Outer Worlds for $1, then jump into DQXI on Switch after the trial is up?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, how big an experience do you want to get into? Outer Wilds maxes out at like 20 hours, Dragon Quest is at minimum like a 60 hour experience.

You can probably knock out Outer Wilds in a couple weekends, and it's only $1, so that seems like a no brainer to me. But if you want something you can really sink your teeth into for the next few weeks, DQ is your best bet.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds is not really that good. I'm glad I only used GamePass to get it for 1$, if I had paid full price I'd have been really pissed

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DQ XI has Sylvando and Veronica, amazing monster designs and a side quest with my favorite npc Michelle. I strongly suggest DQXI because so much love and care was put into the game and its translation that its a crime it didn't get a bigger recognition.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can probably finish Outer Worlds in the same time it takes for DQXI to finally get going. Play TOW for a dollar, get DQ when you finish which will probably be right around holiday time and it might be on a decent sale.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
DQ XI has Sylvando and Veronica, amazing monster designs and a side quest with my favorite npc Michelle. I strongly suggest DQXI because so much love and care was put into the game and its translation that its a crime it didn't get a bigger recognition.
What difficulty u recommend?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What difficulty u recommend?

Honestly all depends on you and what you want out of the game. The Draconian difficulty system lets you hamper yourself with several options. On my first playthrough I chose half exp from weaker enemies and all enemies are stronger. It was a bit challenging at first but after a little levelling it all balances out.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quest is multiple other leagues ahead. Before I played them both I'd say they were too different to compare but the freedom afforded in OW is too wafer-thin to scratch that CRPG itch. It too has NPCs with purple markers overhead.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI S is magical because you can take it anywhere with you. Both are great games and vastly different but the play anywhere factor makes DQXI the clear choice.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I mean if you really like the portable factor, Outer Worlds is coming to Switch next year.

So wait for that and buy DQ in the meantime.

edit: but at the same time that $1 is hard to beat, lol

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I'm finally getting time to play DQXI, and it's absolutely fantastic so far. While it's obviously much prettier on my PC I'm loving the Switch version.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I like western RPGs more than JRPGs and I like sci-fi more than fantasy and TOW is one of my favourite games of the year.

DQXI is the better game though.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't even be a question. The Outer World is strangely overrated, maybe because of the thirst for a new Bethesda style game. But it's not a good game.

Dragon Quest XI is one of the finest JRPG of this gen.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the combat in DQXI way too easy, it actually put me off from buying the game (I played the 10hr demo). The cute enemies was a minor put-off for me as well. The story sounded good though.

TOW does have easy combat as well but I still found it more fun to play overall and you have more flexibility in play style, depending on what you build your character for.

I'd recommend TOW.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I can't comment on The Outer Worlds, but I recently sunk some time into the Dragon Quest demo and didn't really enjoy it - despite loving a lot of what the game has to offer.

I made a series of posts in the official thread earlier this week which I've included below. There's some minor spoilers here, but nothing major.

I only offer these up as a counter balance to some of the more glowing opinions of the game in this thread.

However, I'll caveat my posts by saying, I liked a lot of the game, so it might be for you.

Started the game earlier today via the generous Switch demo and ploughed a few hours into it... and it's just not for me.

My opinion after a handful of hours is quite negative. There's certainly a lot to love, but sadly, like Persona 5 before it, Dragon Quest just hasn't really pulled me in.

I'm aware I've barely scratched the surface and I'm sure it blossoms into a great experience for those who love the series. It feels like a good place to start for newcomers like me. But it's left me cold and I probably won't continue.

I think both Persona 5 and Dragon Quest have made me realise I'm not a fan of mute main characters.

Watching Ann breakdown as she tells Joker about her abuse at the hands of a teacher in Persona 5, only to see him offer little to no reaction completely took me out of that game.

And that moment came much earlier in Dragon Quest when a tearful Gemma realises her childhood sweetheart/friend has to leave. She talks about how she thought they'd never be apart, recounts the legend of the luminary and runs off crying. But our hero does nothing. He doesn't really react at all. It hurts more here because NPC dialogue in the beginning really wants you to believe in this relationship. But this sad moment feels totally unearned.

It comes after a bizarre cutscene where your 'mother' reveals you're the reincarnation of the luminary - much to the shock of our hero and Gemma. It's a big secret she's sat on for years, but she doesn't mind spilling the beans in front of your mate. She then brushes it under the carpet in seconds to get tea on the table, while also telling us we need to leave to pursue our destiny. It's just weird.

Then there's little things. Gemma is gobsmacked that I can call lightening down from the sky, but didn't bat an eyelid when I was throwing fireballs around minutes earlier. It's a world in which magic exists and is accepted, so why is she surprised? Then again, she quickly forgets about it.

Later on, Erik doesn't even question if you're the luminary. He believes you straight away, starts knocking out guards and puts his life on the line to help you escape.

Add it all together and its hard to suspend your disbelief. I'm aware that our hero being the centre of the universe is a classic JRPG trope but it's so transparent here. If the protagonist had a swagger, or any kind of charisma, you could understand it. But, in the early game at least, he's a non character. I'm not a cynical player either - I can roll with a 'power of friendship' style adventure. But they lay it on really thick here.

Even early combat progression feels equally 'gamey' if you know what I mean? A few levels in I can use a fireball, turn my sword into a blazing weapon and cast a healing spell - but why?

I'm a huge Xenoblade fan and I really like how those games contextualise your combat abilities in the story. The monado is a magical weapon that, through various cutscenes, we learn can grant it's user a vision of the future. So when that mechanic is added into the combat, it feels natural. In Xenoblade 2, Rex's hook shot ability gains extra utility when he is shown how to use it properly by a mentor character. A cutscene introduces the topple concept (which opens up driver combos) and the player then uses it in the following battle. It opens up more combat options and makes sense in the story.

It sounds like a tiny thing to harp on about. But that kind of cohesion between storytelling and gameplay mechanics just make an experience all the better for me. It feels like you can throw a fireball and cast a healing spell because it's a Dragon Quest game. You might say he's the luminary but, early on, that's such a nebulous concept.

The voice performances are great - but due to the way the game handles on screen text, you get these cutscenes with lots of unnatural pauses. Scenes don't flow as well as they could and it gives the impression exchanges are more stiff than they are. Though I will say, Erik's accent is strange. He's a Brit putting on an American accent and, at least initially, it sounds off.

There's plenty more I don't like too, but I'll leave it there.

The small selection of towns I've experienced are really good, the dialogue is fun and bursting with character, traversal and map navigation feels smooth, combat is cool too, etc.

This post has turned into something much longer than I intended and I hope no one takes offence to my ramblings. But when I say a game isn't doing it for me, I like to explain why. It's just my opinion and I'm sure plenty of people will disagree.

I've barely played it, relative to its overall length. But, like Persona 5, I'm sad that I can't appreciate it as much as others. :(
Thanks for the response and enlightening me!

I deleted the demo, but actually found myself itching to give it another go yesterday, so I downloaded it again and jumped back in.

I put a few more hours in before I gave up. But it's such a shame. I love the way it controls, and I like the combat and the world. As I said previously, the voice work is good and I like the game's sense of humour. I also like traversal and really enjoy the fact that the game makes it part of the gameplay. Going into a back garden, climbing up some boxes, walking along some ropes and confronting Derk made the act of navigating the world feel much more involved than most JRPGs I've played. Add in great on foot movement and a satisfying sprint, and I like just roaming the environments. Moving around in combat, while superficial and a missed opportunity, adds to that sense that I've got control at all times.

I also love the customisation options in regards to game speed, text progression and the like. It feels like a super polished experience across the board.

Heliodor feels like a fantastically realised place and the praise I've seen for the game's towns seems more than justified from what little I've played.

As you can probably tell, I've got conflicting feelings about the game. There's lots I really like, which is why I've been reluctant to let it go. I researched this game endlessly, watched loads of reviews and can see why so many people love it. My positive experience with the Xenoblade series has really encouraged me to give other JRPGs a go and I'm glad I've tried it.

But there's something about the overbearing, looped music, the framing of the plot and mechanics and the way it all comes together that just turns me off.

Revisiting a certain location early on took an unexpected turn that I appreciated - though why our hero has a voice then, but not now, doesn't make sense. I'm sure people know what I mean. He also didn't really react to quite a big revelation about his past, which just made the whole scene jarring. Link in Wind Walker is how you do a mute main character. He's incredibly expressive and brims with character throughout.

It's an interesting game. One that I'm glad exists and would recommend to those who like classic JRPGs. I'm also glad I got to try it out for nothing! I'm sure I'll take a good look at the next one when it comes. And fingers crossed I'll love that one.
I totally get your mindset and appreciate the tip, but it's not something I'm really good at - at least not anymore.

I remember being annoyed that Rockstar chose to give the protagonist of Vice City a voice after the mute hero of GTA 3.

However, I've changed a lot since then and have really come to dislike main characters who don't speak.

Link in Wind Waker (and to a lesser extent BoTW) works because he's very expressive and the game is written in a way that acknowledges he doesn't speak. I recently played and adored Astral Chain, but the playable character's lack of voice acting hurt it. In fact, your sibling is a much more interesting character in that game simply because they can speak. However, Platinum just about gets away with it because it's primarily an action game and you're framed as a rookie officer, taking orders from more dominant characters.

Dragon Quest, at least from my very small taste of the game, puts you in a relationship-driven, sprawling RPG, where you play as a specific character, with his own backstory and friendships. Worse still, he's put in cutscenes where people talk to him in such a way as to almost demand an answer he can't vocalise. He's meant to galvanise people, but can't speak and scenes where we get a 'XXX told so and so about the plan' just feel like such a weak alternative.

During a fateful trip back to his home town where he discovers his heritage via a worn-out, old letter, he's got Erik stood next to him, kinda of guessing what it's all about because the hero just can't tell him. He says 'don't worry, you can tell me about it later' but we know as players we will not get to see that moment play out naturally. I also don't think the character is particularly expressive enough to get away with it.

I suppose I'm not actually good a role-playing. I'm not in any way saying my above thoughts are 'correct' as it were, just that I feel there's a massive disconnect for me, created my a voiceless protagonist.

Curious to hear if fans would like to see the next pre-defined hero have a voice or if they'd prefer it to stay as it is...

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They're both great. You can't do no wrong here. But I'd say DQ because it's just such a huge chunk of an awesome game. You will have a lot of fun with it. If you don't want to invest 100+ hrs in a game right now then go with TOW

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'd say The Outer Worlds. Not that is an amazing game, but it's a short and interesting RPG, which sadly I can't say about DQ XI.

Combat is rather bad in both games (ToW has an unbalanced FPS-RPG system that is too easy to break, and DQ XI has the most basic and boring turn-based combat I've experienced in years), music is far better in ToW, graphics are nice in both games but DQ XI looks better IMO, main story/writing is far better in ToW even if it's not that good.

If you really like long, classic (in a bad way) JRPGs, go with DQ XI, but I think ToW is a more fun game and at least it has some good conversations and dark humor.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Dragon Quest XI but I can't recommend The Outer Worlds. The first 10 hours or so are great, but then the quests begin to get ultra-repetitive and the character stat building starts to feel like it has no discernible impact on how you play the game and you can spec out any way you want and still not be restricted too much in how you handle a situation.

Plus a most of the side characters have glimmers of promise but their stories fall flat. It's just not very good and doesn't live up to what it's trying to be.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There is a free 10+ hour demo of the Switch version of the game. Why don't you try that out and see how you like it?

My personal recommendation for the Draconian modifiers is to at least turn on Stronger Enemies (this does make the beginning of the game significantly tougher, up until you get your first party member), but you can choose however you want to play it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
DQ

I played the outer worlds for about 15 hours, it started to get a bit samey.

Not saying DQ is perfect either but it has quite a compelling story to be honest; I didn't expect to be invested in it at all even if it's probably super predictable.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI is the biggest and baddest JRPG money can buy right now. If you enjoy the genre play it immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Dragon Quest XI. It's one of the best games I ever played. But I love JRPGs. Especially old school ones.
I haven't tried Outer Worlds yet but I still wanted to chime in that DQ is perfect if you like the genre.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason my TOW hard playthrough is 50+hrs and going.

This thread has me very interested in DQ11 now.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Outer Worlds. Dragon Quest XI is easier even with its hard mode despite OW criticism, has a poor story and writing, ruins its character development (Characters being one of the best things about DQXI, this is a huge shame), dragons on too long, has a lack of combat depth, a poor endgame that relies on trial and error as difficulty, quests are mostly bland in comparison to WRPGs, and awful music you need to turn the volume down on if you are on ps4. Oh, and you will be supporting the composer.

Outer Worlds is flawed, some of those criticisms of DQXI can apply to it, but it's an ultimately more enjoyable shorter experience to me. Some great characters, dialogue, and world building while being acceptable in other departments. It's no Bethesda open world game so don't go in expecting that.