• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Under what circumstances is it ok for a white person to wear an afro wig? Asking for a friend.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Of all the things to try and defend, putting on an afro wig so you can 'play Beyonce' as you learn to perform her dances isn't one of them. It's pretty obviously rooted in stereotypes and is more 'dressing up Black' as a costume than trying to imitate Beyonce herself. It's particularly gross when you consider the focus of Beyonce's output the past few years too.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Only if its for Foxy Cleopatra because she is a whole lot of woman!

I can't recall a single video with Bey with an Afro or ever having one. Would be best to reconsider.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah getting an afro wig and calling it "the Beyonce wig" is an immediate red flag. I'd call that out, try to get them to stop, and bail if they're that insistent on it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Only if its for Foxy Cleopatra because she is a whole lot of woman!

I can't recall a single video with Bey with an Afro or ever having one. Would be best to reconsider.

The video for her single Work it Out (still a bop, too).

But again, this was more Austin Powers promo. All instances of Beyonce in a fro is tied to this one movie from 20 years ago that nobody talks about anymore or remembers. lol

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Boycott? Is your friend going to picket outside with a catchy chant?

I'm a Beyoncé super fan though and I agree, Bey in an Afro is 100% an Austin Powers thing. There has been one or two times since then she wore her hair in a way you could possibly describe as an Afro, but not the perfectly rounded and massive version the word Afro brings to mind for most people.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The video for her single Work it Out (still a bop, too).

But again, this was more Austin Powers promo. All instances of Beyonce in a fro is tied to this one movie from 20 years ago that nobody talks about anymore or remembers. lol

What if she wore the afro and said she was Michelle Williams?

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Racist trolling over multiple posts and arguing in bad faith; account in junior phase
Boycott? Is your friend going to picket outside with a catchy chant?
Surprised no one is calling out the store that sold them the wig in the first place. They really should be more diligent about not selling costume supplies to people who are the wrong etnicity.

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
You don't think businesses should be responsible for the products they sell if they're culturally insensitive?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
You don't think businesses should be responsible for the products they sell if they're culturally insensitive?

...are white people who have hair textures course enough to naturally form "afros" themselves culturally insensitive?

I don't think this is the drag you think it is.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Surprised no one is calling out the store that sold them the wig in the first place. They really should be more diligent about not selling costume supplies to people who are the wrong etnicity.
better-be-good-watch.gif

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Why

Why would someone like that need an afro wig?

It's to point out that, although afros are synonymous with Black people (as one of the more common hair textures among Black/African people naturally forms afros), Black people are not the only ones who can have them. There are non-Black people with hair textures that can form afros. Believe it or not, there are also Black people with hair textures too loose to naturally form afros. So why would it matter that a costume shop sells afros to non-Black people?

The problem isn't "white people wearing afros." The problem is "white people wearing afros to represent a Black woman who never wears afros."

Like, I really want to stress how unintelligent this is. It is a racial association so basic I would honestly expect it from a 6-year-old.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
That might be the quickest backpedal to a JAQoff I've ever seen.

Edit: Maybe JAQ is not the right term here, but it's dead obvious the poster is upset that white people can't freely use black culture as a costume, so feigning outrage at the costume shop apparently sounded smart to them.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021
Are you for real or is this satire? Who, pray tell, is going to be in charge of analyzing a customer's ethnicity to properly judge whether they're, I don't know, black enough (or whatever the metric is) to be able to buy a specific wig from them? Can't you see how quickly that'd build into a massive mess?

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
It's to point out that, although afros are synonymous with Black people (as one of the more common hair textures among Black/African people naturally forms afros), Black people are not the only ones who can have them. There are non-Black people with hair textures that can form afros. Believe it or not, there are also Black people with hair textures too loose to naturally form afros. So why would it matter that a costume shop sells afros to non-Black people?

The problem isn't "white people wearing afros." The problem is "white people wearing afros to represent a Black woman who never wears afros."

Like, I really want to stress how unintelligent this is. It is a racial association so basic I would honestly expect it from a 6-year-old.
I feel like the line you're drawing doesn't exist. A white person in an afro can only really be doing it for the purpose of cultural appropriation. Like under what circumstances is it ok for a person to paint their face black?

Are you for real or is this satire? Who, pray tell, is going to be in charge of analyzing a customer's ethnicity to properly judge whether they're, I don't know, black enough (or whatever the metric is) to be able to buy a specific wig from them? Can't you see how quickly that'd build into a massive mess?
I'm not saying that I'm saying why sell afro wigs in the first place if they're insensitive?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I feel like the line you're drawing doesn't exist. A white person in an afro can only really be doing it for the purpose of cultural appropriation. Like under what circumstances is it ok for a person to paint their face black?

...So, you're segueing to blackface and skin tones. In an argument. With a Black person.

At what point do you think you should just...I dunno...listen?

Jun 24, 2021

I'm not saying that I'm saying why sell afro wigs in the first place if they're insensitive?
A white person in an Afro is so not even in the same solar system as a a white person in black face. What. The. Fuck. I'm not even sure you're arguing in good faith anymore.

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
...So, you're segueing to blackface and skin tones. In an argument. With a Black person.

At what point do you think you should just...I dunno...listen?
I'm in agreement that white people shouldn't wear afro wigs, it just seemed like a natural comparison to make.

Edit: Maybe JAQ is not the right term here, but it's dead obvious the poster is upset that white people can't freely use black culture as a costume, so feigning outrage at the costume shop apparently sounded smart to them.
Maybe I should have said the manufacturer instead? If people are using their products inappropriately don't they have some kind of responsibility to try to mitigate that?

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in agreement that white people shouldn't wear afro wigs, it just seemed like a natural comparison to make.

Maybe I should have said the manufacturer instead? If people are using their products inappropriately don't they have some kind of responsibility to try to mitigate that?
afro wigs are guns now? a bit smokey in here i can't quite make out what you're doing.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I don't see a problem with a wig. As long as no dark makeup is involved, it sounds just fine to me.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
A) Talk to people involved in private
B) Make decision based on the response and having full context that we on Era can't have

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
alternate: tell friend not to go. but you show up with cameras and share with the thread

Oct 29, 2017
You really shouldn't with white people.
Can ya'll not do this? Presumably, nobody here aside from the OP actually knows these people. Also, nobody here - not even the other black era members that I'm aware of - are actually calling them explicit racists. It's frustrating to see things like this brought up only to guaranteed see people preemptively downplaying shit. These presumably grown ass women don't need coddling, let people call out nonsense without twisting your backs trying to find excuses.

Literally the next comment after this.

I'm sorry but exactly for this reason I won't make assumptions about people. Beyoncé is adored by millions of people worldwide regardless of color.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I'm sorry but exactly for this reason I won't make assumptions about people. Beyoncé is adored by millions of people worldwide regardless of color.

She is. Did I say otherwise?

We both seem to have different life experiences. Then again, im Canadian.

Possibly. Or maybe people need to stop giving passes and the benefit of the doubt to white people?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Idk. It's just a wig? Are they planning on applying make up for a "black face?" If so, that would be a hard no. If that person genuinely loves Beyonce and just wants to have some fun, I don't think its too bad, but what do I know.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Their only experience with Beyoncé came from watching Austin Powers from the sounds of it

I don't believe that at all. How can you watch the single ladies video enough to learn the dance moves so you can imitate them; but you never somehow SAW Beyonce in the video you watched enough to learn the choreography🤔

Mmmmm-Nah... Let's keep it honest here. There ain't no way in hell their only view of Beyonce is 1/3 of a movie from a decade ago.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019

What are you doing right now? Do you not understand that doing/saying a racist thing is not the same as being a virulent racist?

Exilexc

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Black person here. This thread has really gotten in the weeds. Beyoncé is an icon so the event sounds like fun. As far as the wig, I'd probably just avoid it.

Your friend knows if the wig ( an Afro for Beyoncé? SMH) was bought with negative intent behind it. She also knows if the people going are likely racist or not. The wig will not be what breaks the camels back at the party. If they are truly doing something wrong, there will either be more stuff or comments. Either way, it sounds harmless until it isn't.

sounds like your friend is worried about latter. I'd probably start there and ask why.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I like how OP was picking up racism hotspots on their sensor before even they knew about the afro part of the story.

A truly valuable lesson in never giving the whites an inch.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Theres a big diff between screaming allah akbar and wearing an affro trying to immitate beyonce....one tries to immitate a terrorist, one tries to immitate a singer. Watever dude. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and not judge them based on 1 action (of course obviously that action is clearly racist, which in my eyes, this is not).
Wearing an afro isn't trying to imitate Beyonce, it's imitating a stereotype of black people. She doesn't wear afros usually so it's not an imitation of her. You're giving these people way too much benefit of the doubt.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
z1jKeM8.jpg

This is basically what i thought when i was reading and then I saw the edit lol. I think it's fine to do the whole theme and everything, but Beyonce never really wears an afro (like once??). The first thing that came to my mind was blonde straight hair or a pony tail or something which is still fine because I mean people dress up as others all the time and I don't think there is a problem with that. But if the first thing you think of when you see a black singer who rarely wears an afro is an afro wig makes me think you got the wig to make your white friend look more black without full on dropping black face on her. That's when I think it ends up being a bad idea lol.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
White people in the UK are really oblivious to stupid racist shit like this. There's definitely no malice in this. Just ignorance. If you tell them they'll definitely get all defensive, so I think just making an excuse and not going is the best bet.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's more than enough out there about the myriad ways black women are infringed upon solely over their hair (let alone everything else) that a wig in general is a bad idea. That it's an afro is not only just inaccurate as to the person they're attempting to portray, it's cartoonishly stereotypical.