• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it's giving mad corny.

It's very much giving "We're all gonna be clowning this on Black Twitter in 5...4...3...2.." vibes.

It's the "how can you be this obtuse in 2021?" for me.

Actually, tell your friend to go! You should all go!

See you soon.
You a messy bitch, a messy bitch that lives for drama

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Tell her to go but duck all the cameras so she can report the train wreck back to you. Witnesses can only help.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Are they all Beyonce superfans or something? I can see where some would pass, but if they're fans and no ill-will is behind this, just refuse to wear the wig and go along with it 🤷‍♂️

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Wearing a wig is no big deal.

it's not like she's wearing black face. Beyoncé wears all sorts of wigs, many European

edit: oh they are wearing an Afro wig? That's um… yeah I'll pass. She almost never wears that, so it's hard to interpret this as anything other than shitty racial stereotyping .

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if those pictures come out in the future they're all fucked in their professional lives

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I thought we were talking about straight 1a-2c hair because that's what Beyonce wears most of the time. But afro is a no-go.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it one of many wigs? It might be a little better if it's part of a collection of Beyoncé looks from over the years, but if it begins and ends with the Afro wig, it's not really Beyoncé themed at all and your friends would probably do well to stay clear of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting something of this calibre, but even this racist knew Beyonce doesn't really wear an afro.

BHlHaR6.png

OP
OP
Blent

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
OP will you update us on future developments?
I will update on what my friend does. You'll forgive me for not asking for details and images from the party itself, whatever goes down.

I'm expecting something of this calibre, but even this racist knew Beyonce doesn't really wear an afro.

BHlHaR6.png

I can guarantee you there will not be blackface. I know the bride enough to tell you that much at the very least.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I will update on what my friend does. You'll forgive me for not asking for details and images from the party itself, whatever goes down.
Of course, i would not expect that either. I'm only curious about how your friend will approach the issue and if there's gonna be an answer given/what comes of it. Only invested in the issue, not the private life of the people having the party :)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
If she doesn't feel comfortable now, she won't feel comfortable there. On top of the legitimacy of her concerns, which i think are legitimate but other posts itt should make that clear, that should be enough to justify not going and thinking about her relationship with those friends.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would think the wig would probably be fine on its own, but the moment they called it "Beyonce-wig", sus.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
If I got a box cut, put on a visor and a star trek uniform, I don't think anyone would consider that a "Levar Burton" costume. It's fine that they wanna have a Beyonce theme party, but pretending they're wearing a "beyonce" costume and not just a "black woman" costume is where it gets really dicey for me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Could've been anything but chose the afro. Unless you're doing Goldmember cosplay who ever associates Beyoncé with that hairstyle lmao

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
That's a no on the afro unless you want these memories to last more than a night

And who reaches for a wig when you could be going for a goddamn metal glove. You know it's going to be single ladies, so why even play?

DQt9c0rVwAANMYp.jpg

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Afro wig to imitate Beyonce? Nah, that is corny as hell. Tell her to make up some excuse and dont go.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it is an Austin Power Goldmember party, how is an afro wig even representative of Beyonce? Completely sus. A wig would be fine it was something obviously to glam the bride up and was similar to hair styles Beyonce is actually known for.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nah, afro wig immediately cinches what this is "really" about. Beyonce wears straightened hair 99.9% of the time. An afro wig is not dressing up like Beyonce, it's dressing up like a "black" person.
Yuuuup. An afro wig to dress up as Beyonce is racist as hell.

Blent Your friend should tell her friends this, unless she doesn't mind them getting embarrassed as racists on social media later lol

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a white, middle-class English man so perhaps I'm in the wrong demographic to be providing an opinion here, but this sounds like one of those situations where the people involved don't realise the mistake they're making, rather than being actively ill-intentioned.

If you're booking a hen party activity that's totally Beyoncé themed, then that probably means the people involved really like Beyoncé and her music, and the wig probably feels - to the organisers - like a natural thing to do. If I was in your friend's shoes, I'd probably say something like: "hey, I know we all love Beyoncé, but the wig is a bit much and people could easily misinterpret your aims in buying and wearing it, so maybe let's leave that bit out."

Exactly this. They just seem like huge Beyoncé fans. It's kind of sad but yeah, this will get misinterpreted if posted on places. So IMO just make a note of this.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Being a "big Beyonce fan" and immediately picturing an afro is...a reach.

In Beyonce's entire 24 year career, spanning albums, videos and movies, she has worn an afro once, and that was for the movie Austin Powers: Goldmember, that came out 20 years ago. Well, she also did promo for that movie with an afro look dressed as her character. But still, that's such an obscure reference and I doubt it's what your friends are thinking. MOST Black folks are going to find it basic and comical at best, insulting at worse.

That said, if they got a honey-blonde afro, 70s costumes, and went FULL Foxy Cleopatra cosplay, that would be a serve.

BWOowDp.jpeg

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Being a "big Beyonce fan" and immediately picturing an afro is...a reach.

In Beyonce's entire 24 year career, spanning albums, videos and movies, she has worn an afro once, and that was for the movie Austin Powers: Goldmember, that came out 20 years ago. Well, she also did promo for that movie with an afro look dressed as her character. But still, that's such an obscure reference and I doubt it's what your friends are thinking. MOST Black folks are going to find it basic and comical at best, insulting at worse.

That said, if they got a honey-blonde afro, 70s costumes, and went FULL Foxy Cleopatra cosplay, that would be a serve.

BWOowDp.jpeg
Yeah and she had like 2 other hairstyles during that movie as well.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
i honestly dont get it, maybe its the sign of times....but if they learn the Beyonces dance moves and want to dress like beyonce to honor her because they like her....how is that a bad thing? Unless the person has had issues with racism in the past i dont know....im arabic and if a friend wants to dress like one of their favorite arabic singers, i wouldnt see a problem.
The people are wanting to wear afro wigs which isn't even accurate to Beyonce and it doesn't seem like honouring her if they're just picking stereotyped black things. It would be like white people cosplaying as Arabic singers by wearing shemagh/keffiyeh and doing the zaghrouta while dancing around in a thoub with a sword.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The people are wanting to wear afro wigs which isn't even accurate to Beyonce and it doesn't seem like honouring her if they're just picking stereotyped black things. It would be like white people cosplaying as Arabic singers by wearing shemagh/keffiyeh and doing the zaghrouta while dancing around in a thoub with a sword.
I understand that...if it would happen id laught them off a room or maybe teach them a thing or 2....i would certainly not call them racist based on that alone. But thats just me

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I do not understand why Black hair continues to mystify people so much. This shit is so basic. lol

Like...would you wear a blonde pixie cut to dress up as Princess Leia? No. Because she never wore her hair like that.

It is THAT simple.

Seeing Beyonce and thinking "afro" is JUST AS OBTUSE! With an extra dollop of racist.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I understand that...if it would happen id laught them off a room or maybe teach them a thing or 2....i would certainly not call them racist based on that alone. But thats just me
I don't know about you, but to me it would be a mockery. Especially if the Arab singers don't do any of that. Oh and throw in a little Allahu Akbar and make a blowing up sound.

Mar 29, 2018
The wig issue depends on the wig really - if it's hair that is most typically associated with women of colour than that would be a pretty bad call.

If it's just long hair as Beyoncé wears in that video then it might be okay, but this is one where I could easily be seeing it as okay when it's not, as women's hair is an issue that I don't know much about and to me it does just look like long hair. And as Loudninja said they don't really need the wig at all to enjoy the drinking and dancing part!
This seems like the crux

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If it was fairly straight hair that Beyoncé generally has, then whatever, that's fine.

But going out of their way to use a 70s afro? That's one small step away from blackface and they need to be called the fuck out.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't know about you, but to me it would be a mockery. Especially if the Arab singers don't do any of that. Oh and throw in a little Allahu Akbar and make a blowing up sound.
Theres a big diff between screaming allah akbar and wearing an affro trying to immitate beyonce....one tries to immitate a terrorist, one tries to immitate a singer. Watever dude. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and not judge them based on 1 action (of course obviously that action is clearly racist, which in my eyes, this is not).

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Theres a big diff between screaming allah akbar and wearing an affro trying to immitate beyonce....one tries to immitate a terrorist, one tries to immitate a singer. [/B]Watever dude. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and not judge them based on 1 action (of course obviously that action is clearly racist, which in my eyes, this is not).
What makes you think you're in any position to tell us what we should and should t find offensive?
Maybe learn some fucking history before you open your mouth and spew out ignorant bullshit.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
I'm a white, middle-class English man so perhaps I'm in the wrong demographic to be providing an opinion here, but this sounds like one of those situations where the people involved don't realise the mistake they're making, rather than being actively ill-intentioned.

If you're booking a hen party activity that's totally Beyoncé themed, then that probably means the people involved really like Beyoncé and her music, and the wig probably feels - to the organisers - like a natural thing to do. If I was in your friend's shoes, I'd probably say something like: "hey, I know we all love Beyoncé, but the wig is a bit much and people could easily misinterpret your aims in buying and wearing it, so maybe let's leave that bit out."

Exactly this. They just seem like huge Beyoncé fans. It's kind of sad but yeah, this will get misinterpreted if posted on places. So IMO just make a note of this.

Can ya'll not do this? Presumably, nobody here aside from the OP actually knows these people. Also, nobody here - not even the other black era members that I'm aware of - are actually calling them explicit racists. It's frustrating to see things like this brought up only to guaranteed see people preemptively downplaying shit. These presumably grown ass women don't need coddling, let people call out nonsense without twisting your backs trying to find excuses.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I would say something rather than just not go. It would be awful for the bride to be if she felt humiliated afterwards if people called her out after they see photos. Let the organisers know you should change the type of wig (or no wig) to avoid potential embarrassment for the bride
This, there are so many better and fun things to do. Inform the people if they ever do some public work or political they'll be thankful.

I bet Justin Trudeau wished someone warned him back then.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah I'm sure they didn't have any bad intent when choosing to do this, but if they're told how bad it looks beforehand their reaction to that is key.

If they go "actually you're right, let's not use an afro", then great!

If they go "lol we're using an afro anyway" then they can fuck off into the sun.