• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Metroid a Metroidvania?

• Yes.

Votes: 122 23.7%
  • No, it's just a straight up Metroid game.

Votes: 393 76.3%

• Total voters

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Similarly, are Castlevania games Metroidvanias, or are they just Castlevania games?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I despise the term "Metroidvania."

Metroid invented the genre, why does it have to share credit with Castlevania?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
this is a superb illustration of why Metroidvania is such an exceedingly stupid term

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'd say it's just a Metroid game in this case.

Nintendo, however, calls 'em Metroidvania's.

2s6XbYB.jpg

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Metroid was first so they should just be 'Metroid' inspired. The Vania addition would work if all Castlevania's had a similar design philosophy like most Metroid's do but they do not.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Metroidvania's definition is a 2D action platformer with exploration and ability-locked areas, so every 2D Metroid game would absolutely qualify as one — I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise.

Everyone voting "no" isn't confusing etymology with definition, are they?

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if you call a game a metroidvania, 99% of people that play games know in general what you mean

stop this

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "vania" implies some sort of rpg component, which Metroids don't have. So they're Metroids, duh.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvania's definition is a 2D action platformer with exploration and ability-locked areas, so every 2D Metroid game would absolutely qualify as one — I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise.

Everyone voting "no" isn't confusing etymology with definition, are they?

That's missing the -vania part that SotN added in more RPG cruft like exp/currency and gear.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I answered yes.

Its pretty clear to most people that metroidvanias include games like:

Hollow knight, Axiom verge, ori, super metroid, and castlevania symphony of the night.

Doesn't really matter who did what first anymore.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Not a fan of the term Metroidvaina or rogue like. Not a fan of "soulsborne" as a descriptor either. Doesn't seem like these are going away anytime soon so best to just deal with it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They should be called metroid-likes. Me and my friends figured this out years before sotn when we were 12.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvania is a type of Castlevania game, in the strictest sense.

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
I think it's just become an all-encompassing term for the genre now, whereas before I think it was used to separate Metroid like games, to ones that also include RPG elements, ala Symphony.
Eww people combine Castlevania and Metroid now? How are they alike? Yeah, they're both RPGs, well then if that's the only comparison, is it ok for anyone to combine Undertale and Final Fantasy? Didn't think so!

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people even call them Metroidvanias? Please explain.
Metroid, and some of the Castlevania games, share a lot of similarities: relatively intricate, non-linear 2D maps for the player to explore, the gradual acquisition of power that enables access to previously unreachable areas, the flow of platforming and combat is fairly similar, etc.

It's just a genre name, but what I find odd is the assertion that Metroid is a Metroidvania game... because really, where are the "vania" parts of Metroid? Metroid is just being itself, not bringing stuff in from Castlevania. It's just nitpicky semantics, really, but I was curious about this after having a disagreement with my friend.

Oh, and Metroidvania is just a lame sounding portmanteau in general to me, because of how clunky it is: you're taking the full name of one series, Metroid, and haphazardly affixing half the name of another series onto that. If we were inclined to give it a band-aid fix, I think Castletroid sounds better (at least then you're taking half from each), but the wider, more prevalent problem is that the genre name doesn't actually tell you anything unless you know Metroid and Castlevania. "First-person shooter" tells you that you shoot from a first-person perspective, "platformer" tells you that you jump on platforms, "survival horror" is self-explanatory... but "Metroidvania" tells you jack shit about these games if you're not already familiar with them.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
That's missing the -vania part that SotN added in more RPG cruft like exp/currency and gear.
That was the part that's unique to Castlevania, not necessarily a requirement for the whole genre.

Hence why people call things like Hollow Knight and Ori metroidvanias despite not having the RPG part.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really slow Q1 huh?

Short and simple answer is yes. Long rambling answer to follow.

At the end of the day, it's all pedantic semantics (that would be a cool band name). Shit don't matter. Language is organized gibberish meant to convey meaning. There's no high council that officiates WHAT GAMES ARE WHAT GENRE. It's community driven.

If someone understand how a game plays when I say "x is a metroidvania", then it's a metroidvania... Metroid and a lot of Castlevanias included. The only reason Rogue-like isn't technically a Rogue is bc the name of the genre itself means "games that play like rogue". And to say "rogue plays like rogue" is just funky English. Bad kinda funk. Rogue has the criteria to be a Roguelike, but it technically isn't a Roguelike. Again, none of this matters. Love y'all.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Eww people combine Castlevania and Metroid now? How are they alike? Yeah, they're both RPGs, well then if that's the only comparison, is it ok for anyone to combine Undertale and Final Fantasy? Didn't think so!
Yeah, I hear you. I've never been a big fan of the genre name, but hey, it works (somewhat), and it is what it is. People will have a good understanding of what you mean if you use it as a descriptor.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Only Castlevania games that play like Metroid should be called Metroidvanias but I know that's a lost cause.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
That was the part that's unique to Castlevania, not necessarily a requirement for the whole genre.

Hence why people call things like Hollow Knight and Ori metroidvanias despite not having the RPG part.

While not as indepth as SotN, Ori has an exp/leveling system and Hollow Knight has NPCs with quests, currency for vendors, and gear in Charms.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Similarly, are Castlevania games Metroidvanias, or are they just Castlevania games?

What do you guys think?

Why do people even call them Metroidvanias? Please explain.

The term "Metroidvania" was coined specifically to differentiate SotN and its ilk from classic-style Castlevania ("Classicvania"), as the mapping/backtracking/ability-progression systems were so reminiscent of Metroid (and Zelda) and very unlike what the series had previously featured (although some elements briefly surfaced in Castlevania II). And that's largely all the term applied to for the better part of a decade. And all was well.

It's only people began referring to non-Castlevania games -- the whole genre -- as "Metroidvanias" (as opposed to, say, "Metroid-likes" or "Metroidvania-likes") that the problems arose. Either we choose a better genre name or we just live with it.