• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should they stay distinct or borrow from each other?

• Keep them distinct

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Borrow from each other

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
RPGs come in different shapes and sizes but even beyond their play styles RPGs can vary greatly depending on where they are made. Do you think they should remain distinct or would you rather the genre take the best bits from both and move forward?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I like variety. It's totally okay for them to borrow aspects and make something totally unique. It's also good for a game to excel in it's intended genre. Developers should make the game they want to make.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
yes, i rarely enjoy wrpgs or crpgs. taking some influences from each other is fine tho

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The Western and Japanese distinction was always really dumb.

They can do whatever they want. RPGs are so varied now days.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's very little in JRPGs that western RPGs should take from imo (definitely not sexualización of minors or homophobia) but JRPGs can learn something modern game design and QOL from WRPGs for sure

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with games either mixing elements or doing their own thing. As it stands, JRPGs were already heavily influenced by older WRPGs anyway and there was a brief period where JRPGs were influencing how WRPGs were getting converted to consoles that lead to some amazing conversions.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there has ever been a time when WRPGs and JRPGs didn't borrow from each other.

JRPGs originally grew out of some early WRPGs. You could argue there was a period of isolation between the two stemming from roughly the mid 90's through the start of 7th gen but at all other times JRPGs borrowed liberally from WRPGs, and WRPGs often reacted to JRPGs.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The style and culture representation is not something you can divorce, especially examples like Dragon Quest XI and the Ni Nu Kuni series, the later partly produced by Japan's famous Ghibli studio.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Taking a prescriptivist approach to genres is stupid, and will only serve to produce homogenized games. Games should just be what the developers want to make them. Genre labels are only relevent as after-the-fact descriptors.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can make whatever games they want to make from as many influences as they want.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Quest (and therefore Final Fantasy) was heavily influenced by Wizardry and Ultima.

The jRPG v. wRPG dichotomy is at best convenient shorthand for the emphasis of particularly systems.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I like RPGs and JRPGs in equal measure but they're very different genres with different goals

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. First of all, jRPGs need to move out of the high school setting into college and/or workforce. I don't want to play as kids.

Oct 27, 2017
They already do borrow from one another...you're acting like there are rigid differences that they aren't allowed to bridge when they aren't

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
They should absolutely remain separate while borrowing certain elements from one another that could stand to improve both styles.

There are many reasons I like JRPGs way, way more than WRPGs, though. You can't just take those reasons away and make them all the same, or else they wouldn't be JRPGs and WRPGs anymore.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
going by genre labels alone "jrpg" kind of evolved into its relatively niche thing. i'd be surprised if you could easily fit FFXVI into that column whenever it comes (though if you want to be a semantic gestapo, yes all rpgs from japan are jrpgs, even Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma ect)

will they/should they borrow from each other? sure why not. but i think "the jrpg" will be further relegated into stuff like Tales, Legend of Heroes, Persona ect. not a whole lot of wrpg sensibilities to be found there

Last edited: