• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should ice be in drinks?

• Yes

Votes: 270 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 11.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 328 48.8%

• Total voters

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
There are parts of the world where you absolutely don't want ice in your drink as that may trigger food poisoning.
Elsewhere it is to each their own, I guess. I just like having an ice ball in my whiskey glass, otherwise no need.

Oct 28, 2017
Ice is nice to have in some drinks and mean you don't have to drink fast to make sure it stays cool. So it does serve a purpose.

I hate when bars make drinks that are like 80% ice though, it's ridiculous and annoying to get a glass were you can clearly see the room left for alcohol is minuscule.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in AZ. If I don't wanna gulp shit down in like 3 mins, that shit needs ice, outside of like, water.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I don't like putting ice on sodas, but i can't drink my Gin tonic without tons of ice, so, sometimes

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If the drink is already refrigerated, no.

If the drink is only modestly cold (like out of a fountain) or room temp, yes gimme dat ice.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"they only give you ice to increase their profits!" is the most smooth brain take that I've seen repeated for too damn long

I know people who dont like room temp drinks but order everything without ice so they can "get their money's worth". Cope to the max
To be fair, when I was in high school I worked at Taco Bell and the manager repeatedly hounded us to fill the cups up with as much ice as they could fit because it was more profitable for the store.

Oct 31, 2017
No. Ice should be shaken with the drink to make it cold, but strained out so that it doesn't continue to dilute the drink.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A little bit. But, restaurants filling the cup to the brim with ice, and thus watering down the drink, sucks. I will usually say no or light ice to avoid this.

Oct 25, 2017
Most drinks are stored at room temperature, so... absolutely. The only thing stored cold is milk and orange juice. I'd even put ice in a screwdriver since the vodka will warn it up a bit.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Only sometimes.
Ice is frozen water. ANd when frozen water metls, it create liquid water. Thus, diluting the liquid it's in, making it taste much worse.

That said, it's only good in juices and water itself. Imo.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
A&W here doesn't even have ice. They have signs that say "we chill our water so you don't pay for a cup of ice when you buy a soft drink here" or something like that.

On a hot day, my drink is room temperature walking 10 minutes home.

Yeah I prefer ice.

At a bar though? They over do it:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, ice is just water. You're asking if water should be in drinks. Come on, man.
Exactly! Water should never be added to soda, because it waters it down...literally! Ice melts, so as you proceed to drink your drink, it tastes worse and worse over time, just like if you added water to drinks. At restaurants I often order my drink with "no ice". There is only one case where I ever add ice to a drink: if I'm at a theme park outdoors in the hot sun.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
In cocktails? Yes. Most of them anyway. Dilution makes booze much more approachable and often brings out more of its flavours. I sometimes think it is as de-glazing a pan full of fond.

For most non-alcoholic beverages, I would chalk it up to preference as it gets more subjective. For me it really depends on the day and the sensation I want.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're using one of those vaccuum sealed tumblers that's a hard disagree on a drink staying cold for that much longer after sitting out for 10 plus minutes. My condo has no AC so stays around 75 F indoors this time of year and as someone whose ice maker shit the bed recently the chilled beverages definitely don't stay chilled for long once taken out of the fridge.

As for all beverages of course not...even some beer is perfectly fine at room temp. I was aghast at this notion of non cold beer but after trying it I wholeheartedly approve...though I still prefer it chilled :P

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
As a former bartender, I would have very unhappy customers serving room temperature martinis, cosmos, manhattans, etc. The ones that are super cold with ice crystals on the surface get the customers super happy. So OP, you are very wrong. I even shake up arnold palmers and juice combinations.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly! Water should never be added to soda, because it waters it down...literally! Ice melts, so as you proceed to drink your drink, it tastes worse and worse over time, just like if you added water to drinks. At restaurants I often order my drink with "no ice". There is only one case where I ever add ice to a drink: if I'm at a theme park outdoors in the hot sun.

i think it needs to be watered a little.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Ice helps extend the coldness of a drink so it lasts longer, but if left to their own devices drink servers will put in so much ice that it makes the drink last less longer. I always order easy on the ice.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone talking about getting more drink at a restaurant and thus foregoing ice is crazy.

Order the drink without ice, then order a cup of ice separately if it's that serious. Best of both worlds

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Preferably no, because unless it's professional ice made to last much longer, ice will eventually dilute the drink.

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I like to throw some ice(big ones) into like a glass of Coca Cola or when mixing various alcoholic drinks.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, it just wateres the drinks and makes whem taste worse. Cold drinks can be cold without ice.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
all drinks should be hot, especially in the valley where the temperature is 54C.
cold drinks are not allowed anywhere.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Lukewarm soda sucks, but it's an inevitability in Europe. Give me as much ice as humanly possible.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Ice is nice to have in some drinks and mean you don't have to drink fast to make sure it stays cool. So it does serve a purpose.

I hate when bars make drinks that are like 80% ice though, it's ridiculous and annoying to get a glass were you can clearly see the room left for alcohol is minuscule.
Depending on where you live the amount of ice won't change the amount of alcohol in the drink, only the amount of complementing ingredients. Having the glass full of ice also prevents the ice from melting too fast and ruining the drink.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I like ice when it's a part of the drink to keep it cool—not when it's there to take up volume and give you less product.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Usually yes, and when I'm in Puerto Rico, definitely yes. It may be cold right out of the fridge, but it takes no time for the ambient temperature to warm it up...so if I actually want to leisurely enjoy a COLD beverage and not just gulp it down, ice is a must

Nov 30, 2017
I chose sometimes.

If I'm getting fast food 9 times out of 10 I ask for no ice.

At home since I have control over it I usually put a little bit of ice in my drinks.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
As a former bartender, I would have very unhappy customers serving room temperature martinis, cosmos, manhattans, etc. The ones that are super cold with ice crystals on the surface get the customers super happy. So OP, you are very wrong. I even shake up arnold palmers and juice combinations.

I was a bartender too, and we'd manage this by having certain drinks in the freezers, and others in the coldest place they could go otherwise. We would never put ice in Port for example.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
NO, they make your drink watery and bad. Ice should only be in water. Edit: Unless you need the ice to be blended into the drink, like a smoothie or other cocktail.

"they only give you ice to increase their profits!" is the most smooth brain take that I've seen repeated for too damn long
This is 100% legitimately true though, at least in bars. They don't waste as much alcohol when they pile up the rocks.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020

I know people who dont like room temp drinks but order everything without ice so they can "get their money's worth". Cope to the max
Try ordering a drink in the Cinema without ice. They often don't let you do it.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I don't care enough to request no ice at restaurants, but I have a dedicated shelf in my fridge that is just for cans of sparkling water and soda, because I prefer it to just be cold without ice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
make choice of drink. pour into ice cube tray. Freeze.

Make choice of drink again. Add drink ice cubes.

I like ice in cold drinks even if the drink is from the fridge. If I don't drink it straight away and prefer to sip it, the ice helps keep it cold - often if chilled the ice will last an hour or two without melting away

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
No. Aside from having sensitive teeth, I'd rather have room temp drink with flavor than a relatively cold watered down affair.