• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The 1989 film starring Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen, my parents loved this movie back in the day and I've been watching some clips and they are quite funny.

Apparently, there's three films, but the first is considered to be the best.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun movie, especially if you like baseball, and yes the first is the best.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's pretty funny and easily worth a watch especially if you have any appreciation for baseball.

The sequels aren't great. The second has its moments though.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
It is an enjoyable romp. The plot is predictable, the typical underdog team. But the comedy is decent and there is some rather good baseball choreography

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
All time classic sports movie. Everyone in this movie kills it. From the owner, coach, players, etc.

Just stop with the first though. Instead of watching part 2 just watch Bull Durham instead.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed watching it with my older brother so many times when I was a kid. Quality laughs

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Just be aware that it's a product of its time, and has sensibilities to match (i.e. there's a bit of sexism and racist caricature in it that I don't think would fly now).

Definitely a baseball classic, though. Doesn't beat A League of Their Own in my book but it's pretty close.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Just be aware that it's a product of its time, and has sensibilities to match (i.e. there's a bit of sexism and racist caricature in it that I don't think would fly now).

Definitely a baseball classic, though. Doesn't beat A League of Their Own in my book but it's pretty close.

All movies inevitably are when you think about it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have always disliked Sheen. Now knowing that he might be a rapist... I'd pass on watching his shit. At the same time, it's not like he'll really benefit from you watching it now. And we gotta do something to pass the time.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Major League is an absolute classic. It's an underdog sports story wrapped in a comedy. The second one is good, too, but not as much.

Avoid the third.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely watch the first one, if you really liked it you can watch the sequel but it's not nearly as good, I like the third movie but it's pretty bad.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Watch it and then track down the alternate ending they wrote and shot for it. It's an interesting piece of movie history.

Oct 29, 2017
Stay away from the sequels. My wife and I tried to watch the second movie a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't finish it. Even the cast members collectively agree it's terrible. The PG rating defanged the humor by a good deal, and the plot point of
them being hungover from the past season's success
is bizarre considering
they didn't win the Series in the first movie.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This and Rudy are probably among the best sports movies in my book. Rocky is another obvious choice.

"Necessary Roughness" is my guilty pleasure but I wouldn't advocate that it's a great movie or anything.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gentle Ben 2 was on Pixl this morning but I woke up too late. I was pretty distraught. Sequels are normally terrible but I don't have to tell you guys that GB2: Care Bear Squared, is considered The Godfather 2 of misleadingly safe ursine companion cinema.

if Criterion didn't play it so safe there'd be a 4k remaster by now.

L2iMlBD.jpg