• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I'm am quarantined and have tons of time to kill. So for one way of doing it, should I give G-Gundam a chance? I've heard things about it and watched it as a kid but not the full thing. Is it worth my time during this period?

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I adore G Gundam. It's one of those series I regularly do a rewatch of. It's not perfect by any means (there's a fairly predictable pattern to the whole that quickly becomes apparent among other things) but if you can get past that and the general silliness it's a lot of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this even a question.

One should ALWAYS watch G-Gundam*

unless you were given the choice to watch Seed/Destiny, then I would suggest Seed. Cause Shinn Asuka is the best.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Grab some snacks, turn the volume way up, and let the insanity wash over you. Also remember its not indicative of the franchise just a parody of the time it was released thanks to the popularity of Fist of the North Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, and of course Dragon Ball lol.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
G Gundam is the Metal Gear Rising of anime. Well it's the other way around but you know what I mean.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
If the phrase "Tequila Gundam from the Space Colony NEO MEXICO" doesn't sell you, then nothing will.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_p6m7l74AGo1r3k4sq_540.gif

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's still very much a Gundam show, thematically, but it's also a lot of fun, and delivers a plot that actually goes somewhere. I'd recommend it for sure.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
There only a few Gundam series I enjoyed watching and G Gundam is defiantly one of them.

Feels like it does something different that sets itself apart from the others.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP just ask yourself this: When you're watching gigantic humanoid robots lumbering across the battlefield to destroy their enemies are you more concerned about the grim reality of war and the effects its having on those pilots and the populace at large... or do you wanna let a hot blooded monologue and flaming punch that fucking robot into the next city over? If its the latter G Gundam is for you.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it is the first gundam to watch, but I will say it is a gundam you should watch.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best Gundam series.

It's also the most unGundam Gundam series. It's essentially a magical girl show under the trappings of mecha.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely. The resolution of one of the main arcs in the story is still one of the best ever.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
YES. What are you doing--you should've watched this yesterday!

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can deal with casual 90s cartoony (but not OVERLY offensive) country stereotypes, absolutely.

goshou

Oct 28, 2017
THE WINDS OF THE KING!

And yes, as long as you know what you are getting in to, you'll probably love it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, absolutely. It's tropey, it's absurd, it reuses animations every episode, it's not really representative of the gundam franchise as a whole, but damn if it isn't entertaining as hell. Mecha and martial arts shouldn't go so well together, a giant robot on a robotic horse shouldn't work, but somehow does in this wonderfully crazy series.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes. Watched it a few years ago wondering if it would hold up to my nostalgia.

Turns out it owns even harder than I remembered.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I randomly started watching G Gundam 2 years ago without any previous knowledge of it (didn't air back were I lived, no idea about memes, that people loved it etc).

Fuck, what an entertaining ride that was. It is absurd, but not like Gurren Lagan - it is a more melodramatic soap opera shonen, which I love as a fan of JoJo. It is simply amazing, and I found the 1st part of the anime to be better than the 2nd (both are really good though!). By the way, I watched it with jap dubs which were superb. Go for it OP!