• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Trying to decide. What do I really lose besides what's essentially two more hours of battery life?

I don't think much. Undocked the original model is 5.5 hours (using BOTW as a benchmark). That's sufficient for me.

Any reason to wait? Is there a less of a chance of JoyCon drift with the newer iteration?

Decisions.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There's literally no reason not to. And there's no way BotW is 5.5 undocked. Closer to 3.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When I play my Switch undocked, it's plugged in to the wall with an extension cord.

I think that the poor battery life on the base Switch holds it back from being what it truly should be and would recommend you wait for the revision. Especially if you're the kind of person who usually plugs in when you hit 25% or so.

Also this:
And there's no way BOTW is 5.5 undocked. Closer to 3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What region are you in? It's already out in Australia apparently, it's supposed to be out in NA in "mid-August". September for Europe I think.

So I'd wait a couple more weeks.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Wait

You might not need to wait more than a couple of weeks. The new model has been spotted in other parts of the world already.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.

It won't be much longer and there's an obvious improvement. We don't know if there's any other (less obvious) improvement - early reports suggest that the screen may be better but the Switch has variable screens anyway.

We also don't know about the Joycons. It should shortly be clear whether they've used a new type of stick, but if they have then it won't be clear for a while whether there's an improvement or not.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you live in a region where the Switch is more expensive than in USA? Maaaaybe. Here in Mexico I don't expect retails (not even Amazon) will keep sensible prices for the newer model and the Lite, for months. But if you are in USA... wait lol

Oct 25, 2017
New model comes out in like 20 days. Will probably include build quality fixes like joy con (drift/rails).

It's the same price to, might as well wait

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How will I know it's the newer iteration? I don't think it will say it.

The box art is new and it has a new serial number.

1vVRrCn.png

HjkLcsX.png

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only reason to get the old one is the guarantee of hacking it. For me I can't be bothered to buy a new one and transfer over all my data, in part because simply affording that is basically off the table. I'm not too mad since I suspected an upgrade would occur at some point, and although the newer model will surely be hacked at some point, it will probably be through a software exploit only, which means I'd have to put it on ice (not ever update it, and thus basically never play it, the same fate as my Vita met), or have those exploits be patched.

I suspect a true upgrade with better performance (which would definitely be worth upgrading for) will come in the next two years, so I'm willing to sit this out and use my current Switch as an emulation machine once that upgrade comes out. As for you however, just get the new one, wait a few weeks and avoid kicking yourself every time the battery interrupts a gaming session.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd wait

honestly I'm amazed that the Mini has barely better battery life than the original while this new original bumps it up significantly

Oct 26, 2017
You might as well wait, seeing as it's only a few weeks away and has considerably better battery life and might have some other improvements too. Oh and, hey, if you're willing to wait a bit more, there are bound to be at least a few deals or bundles during Black Friday for a Switch, assuming you live in the US

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You could start buying games for it (unless you plan on going digital), but I would wait for a new model if you don't have one already.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Trying to decide. What do I really lose besides what's essentially two more hours of battery life?

I don't think much. Undocked the original model is 5.5 hours (using BOTW as a benchmark). That's sufficient for me.

Any reason to wait? Is there a less of a chance of JoyCon drift with the newer iteration?

Decisions.
Lol no. Botw on current model is 3 hrs. You got your numbers mixed up. Botw is 5.5hrs on the revised model. Just wait for the revised one. Who knows about joycon drift being addressed, but there is a slight chance Nintendo could unlock higher clocks on this model.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

Decisions.

You have your numbers mixed up. 5.5 hours is how long the battery lasts in BOTW on the new model. It's estimated at 3 hours with the original model.

I say you should wait. The new models will be on store shelves in the next month or two, and you'll have a significantly more efficient system. As others have said, you'll be able to tell which one you're buying because the new system has new packaging.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait! That's an easy call imo.

I wonder if any shops will do trade in deals for the old Switch. I might consider the upgrade then

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I got mine last week, and for playing on the couch after work while my wife and stream shows is perfect. Now if I needed it during a commute I might wait, but for my situation it's perfect. Battery never comes close to draining.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
If you waited this long, just wait the few extra weeks.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's not a long wait and you can get it for the same price as the original. It's a no brainer.

The only caveat is whether or not you want to eventually hack your Switch, since it's apparently easier to do that with the original.
To clarify, needs to be an original released before summer 2018 or so I think. Current Switch models are safe from exploits.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify, needs to be an original released before summer 2018 or so I think. Current Switch models are safe from exploits.

It's now safe from the extremely easy hardware exploit but IIRC there are other slightly more involved methods which currently work. Dataminers are saying the new one will be a lot tougher to crack though.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've bought mine last week but I got it for 50€ less with 35€ to spend on eShop. Maybe I should have waited :(

Wait if you can OP.

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait a week or two. They're are already being sold in some regions. Nintendo said by mid August in US. Could be a week from now.

It's literally the same price, has nearly double battery life and a revised SOC. It's the superior model in every way.