• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Im very conflicted by this, she is 6 and still believes but adding that image would make her belief stronger, but I worry down the line when she figures it out she may feel betrayed by me, other kids picking on her if she is one of the last to figure out, etc.

Anyone with older kids, have you ever had those doubts? Also how was that transition of them figuring it out?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have a 2 year old and my wife and I don't really care if he believes in Santa or not. The whole idea of naughty kids getting the shaft and good kids getting rewarded doesn't sit well with us. We're just pointing at the presents under the tree and saying "this one is from X, that one is from Y."

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think 6 is still young enough where believing in Santa is still an innocent part of childhood. Now if she still believes 4 years from now, you may want to intervene.

Just my 2c. I have a 7 month old so I still have a bit until I get to cross this bridge.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Im very conflicted by this, she is 6 and still believes but adding that image would make her belief stronger, but I worry down the line when she figures it out she may feel betrayed by me, other kids picking on her if she is one of the last to figure out, etc.

Anyone with older kids, have you ever had those doubts? Also how was that transition of them figuring it out?

my son was very analytical, but also believed in Santa. The gig was up this Christmas at the age of 10, he basically asked us and we told him the truth, the magic of Santa/Christmas is just different now and he gets to help move the elf for his sister.

he does not hate us for lying to him

we also don't use Santa to make kids behave.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a picture of the tree and a sticker have to do with anything?

i think the idea is to make it look like a photo of Santa visiting their house

i say if you're doing it because it's fun for you and your kid go for it. If you're doctoring photos just to reinforce her belief or whatever that's weird. Likewise not doing it just to avoid reinforcing her beliefs

In short, don't overthink this

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad, but it's part of growing up. My oldest knows and has for a couple years and he has a blast helping us put the presents under the tree. I also have twin siblings and the boy knows thanks to his older brother, but my daughter is still holding on to that belief, but this may be the last year. Let them grow and find out themselves.

My kids are 11 and 7, btw.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Just let her find out when she finds out, she'll be old enough to handle it just fine. This is probably the last year for my 7 year old, she's already starting to question things, and if she asks and really wants to know then we'll tell her.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
If a kid is old enough to realise Santa isn't real, they're old enough to realise you did it for their benefit. If she's teased for it, the kids will move on 5 minutes later onto the other billion things they pick on other kids for.

OP
OP
Browser

Browser

Apr 13, 2019

i say if you're doing it because it's fun for you and your kid go for it. If you're doctoring photos just to reinforce her belief or whatever that's weird
Yes, thats it they have an app for that, very easy and fast to do, but she will see it and reinforce that santa is real that much more. I think this changes the game just because I never had this when I was a kid, but if my parents showed me a picture with santa in it, I think that would blow my mind as a kid.

Its for fun, to see the look on her face light up and all. I just worry about after when she finds out, if she will think it was too much I guess.

I think you may be over thinking this.
Oh yes absolutely, I 100% am overthinking this. Thats why Im asking you guys, other perspectives.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
My daughter is eight and I had the conversation with her a few days ago when she asked outright. It went fine, especially since she gets to help with her younger brother now.

Oct 25, 2017

i say if you're doing it because it's fun for you and your kid go for it. If you're doctoring photos just to reinforce her belief or whatever that's weird. Likewise not doing it just to avoid reinforcing her beliefs

In short, don't overthink this

Oh, that sounds like a bit much, but we didn't do the shelf elf thing either. Just good old cookies and milk, they figure it when it's right for them. Our youngest is 12, and playfully keeps up the Santa thing, and only came out and admitted it tonight since the power went out while we were still wrapping, and he came downstairs.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Why do anything extra? If she still believes, I doubt that not seeing photo evidence will change that. And if it does, then she was already on her way to no longer believing. Let her take it at her own pace.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I believed in santa til I was 12. I learned he was fake in the middle of class when the teacher asked if anyone "still believed" for some reason. Everyone laughed at me.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Kids usually don't feel betrayed about this when they stop believing. It's often a soft transition, with them becoming more curious and observant, unless it's by revealed by other kids or abusive adults.

Christmas will still be fun, and kids might even be more grateful for what their parents (and older siblings) are doing for them.

Keeping doing whatever you've been doing in past years.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If the normal tricks of secretly eating the cookies and milk and putting some last minute presents out on the night before start to fail, then it is just time to let go IMO.
Just keep doing it as usual and let the the transition to skepticism happen as it will.

Nov 26, 2018
No need to reinforce, let them come to their own terms in their own time. When they decide to not believe in Santa, just explain the other reasons why Christmas is special (family, selflessness, etc)