• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the original in 2020 and yes, I did legit enjoy it.
Really looking forward to Legion on PS5 dropping here shortly but am wondering if I should hold off and finish 2 first.

What say you?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I would say yes because Watch Dogs 2 is a good game, but there doesn't seem to be any significant story connection between 2 and Legion so you don't really NEED to.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like Legion is closer in tone with 1 than 2 is but also 2 is just overall a lot more solid than Legion.

Just go for 2, dude.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Watch Dogs 2 is a a great game and seems to have a better narrative, haven't played Legion yet so I'am just going off livestreams.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is a a great game and seems to have a better narrative, haven't played Legion yet so I'am just going off livestreams.
I'm skipping legion myself. And I'm somebody that platinumed the first one and pretty much 1 trophy away from platinum on the 2nd. 2 was great as hell to me and I have no idea why they went the direction they did with legion, I'm just not feeling it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If you absolutely love 2 in terms of mechanics, know that legion is very similar in terms of mission structure. 2 has a stronger narrative and just a tighter game overall.

Again, if you aren't tired of the formula after 2, legion may be worth the try when you can inevitably get it for cheap in 3 months like every Ubi game

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Watch Dogs 2 was an absolutely great game and you should play it.
b1bbac58ec1389e3a0cd2652271ac74e87776e4e_hq.gif

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
2 was so close to being a truly awesome game. Sadly it dragged itself down with some maturation choice and tonal dissonance.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I will echo others and say you should play 2 instead of Legion. Unfortunately I didn't warm up to WDL at all, despite the promising concept. Just didn't click for me. WD2 on the other hand was great fun, definitely my favorite out of the three entries so far.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it now and it starts a bit bleh imo but once you start unlocking stuff it's really fun. Based on the reviews, I think I'm just going to keep playing WD2 and get Legion when it's like $30.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
From what I played of Legion on PS5 I say just play Watch Dogs 2. It's a great game, Legion isn't.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with Legion?=O I'm still trying to get through Watch Dogs 2 on PC.

It's really bare bones in terms of side mission structure... Most of the game's variety is in the characters that you use, but it quickly becomes apparent that the character you're playing doesn't change things that much (indeed, once you unlock one or two super-characters and get a few basic types to round out your team you're pretty much done).

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What's wrong with Legion?=O I'm still trying to get through Watch Dogs 2 on PC.
My main issue is that the central gimmick ("recruit anyone!") directly drains the game of any sincerely likable characters. The gameplay itself is totally serviceable, but absolutely not memorable or engaging. You just see countless spaces filled in with the same few activities.

Which is a complaint you can also make of WD2 - but at least that has a compelling narrative to keep you going. If the recruitment gimmick had some more depth & opportunities for emergent gameplay - it could be exciting. But as is, it's just very bland.

That said, I actually don't mind having bought it for full price. It was a very nice distraction for Election week, ironically because it felt so narratively inert that I could just shut my brain off and run through the checklists.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Oh my, what seems to be so wrong with Legion? I honestly didn't enjoy any of WD2, ended up uninstalling after 5 hours of total play.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's really bare bones in terms of side mission structure... Most of the game's variety is in the characters that you use, but it quickly becomes apparent that the character you're playing doesn't change things that much (indeed, once you unlock one or two super-characters and get a few basic types to round out your team you're pretty much done).
My main issue is that the central gimmick ("recruit anyone!") directly drains the game of any sincerely likable characters. The gameplay itself is totally serviceable, but absolutely not memorable or engaging. You just see countless spaces filled in with the same few activities.

Which is a complaint you can also make of WD2 - but at least that has a compelling narrative to keep you going. If the recruitment gimmick had some more depth & opportunities for emergent gameplay - it could be exciting. But as is, it's just very bland.

That said, I actually don't mind having bought it for full price. It was a very nice distraction for Election week, ironically because it felt so narratively inert that I could just shut my brain off and run through the checklists.
Ah, I see. That's a shame. Guess I'll get it on a sale or something, then again I got Watch Dogs 2 on a sale.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
1 is the best of a mediocre series.

2 is okay if you can get past the awful cast of characters.

I would just skip Legion entirely. It's probably one of the least fun games I've played this gen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
WD2 is great, though what is it you really enjoyed about the first? If the combat, be warned 2's combat is different, you are discouraged from getting into direct gunfights and die very quick.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is so much better than Legion that it's not even funny.

I still think it's one of the best games of this gen.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Play it instead of Legion

A decently written cast of characters, mission design tailored around your arsenal and a very beautiful city to explore in while listening to some tunes. DLC is pretty dope too.

Legion is probably the most disappointing WD I've played, extremely disappointed in it and this is coming from a fanboy of the game. Hoping that the DLC is at least decent

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
WD2 is the best of the three games, but you don't need to play them in order or anything. They're all set in the same world and are loosely connected by the organizations like DedSec/Blume/etc. but they aren't direct sequels where you need to pay close attention to the plot. So you can play Legion and WD2 in whatever order you want.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
WD 2 is one of my favourite games ever so yes play it OP, regardless of whether it's before or after Legion.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I liked the first game more than 2 honestly. Like WD1 knew it wanted to be techno hacker Batman and it went for it even if it was wildly uneven it was still really fun at points.

WD2 just took all the complaints of the first game and said "look we fixed it!" but then it just kind of became a mush of suggestions and not really it's own thing.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Play Legion first, WD2 is much better and Legion will feel like a big step down playing straight after 2.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Sooo, what I gather from this thread is Legion is bad? Can someone who played it give me bulletpoint summary of the problems? I went blackout on this game and was hyped by the setting and NPC recruiting system.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo, what I gather from this thread is Legion is bad? Can someone who played it give me bulletpoint summary of the problems? I went blackout on this game and was hyped by the setting and NPC recruiting system.
The best thing it has is the recruiting system and London.

But the story, gameplay, hacking capabilities and in general tone is a huge step back. The AI seems from a decade ago compared to the weird stuff you could do on WD2.

It's not "bad", it's just a huge step back surrounded by cool ideas.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
The best thing it has is the recruiting system and London.

But the story, gameplay, hacking capabilities and in general tone is a huge step back. The AI seems from a decade ago compared to the weird stuff you could do on WD2.

It's not "bad", it's just a huge step back surrounded by cool ideas.
Thanks! Looks like I'll try it when it's 20€ then !

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
At the very least I hope that Legion sells well enough to justify a fourth title, WD doesn't deserve to die

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just installed Watch_Dogs 2 on my precious SSD space but am hesitant to play it because the graphics have become obsolete.