• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I am a big assassin's creed fan, i have played every game in the series except unity and i enjoyed most of them to some extent, i was super excited to play unity ahead of it's release since the french revolution was the historical setting i had wanted to see the most after ancient egypt.

But the game turned out to be a buggy and most importantly unoptimized mess, i got the pc version and tried to play it but the bugs and the fact that it almost bricked my graphics card made my give up on it very quickly, i kept thinking i would get back to it as it got patched and when i had a better computer, but i just kind of forgot about it as the years passed.

While i like the new rpg direction the assassin's creed series has taken i feel an urge to play a more old school ass creed game, and instead of going back to one of the games i have already played i thought that i should give unity another chance.

Have they patched the game to a playable state and is the game even worth playing? And if so are there any worthwhile mods for it.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it´s the last, best "classic" formula AC. Sidenote, i recommend changing the voice language to french too for added authenticity! :D

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
IMO one of the best AC.

It was indeed broken as fuck as launch, but still was good. Now that most of it has been fixed (still has the classic AC jankiness, but I have to say I almost even miss it now), but it's in my top 5.

Paris is still breathtaking.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Yes. though I enjoyed Syndicate more, AC Unity was definitely worth playing. The Interiors of the buildings is the best in series. You can into so many of the buildings and the detail is so much higher than it is in the newer games.

Unlike the newer games it's only something you can complete in a reasonable amount of time.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
So was Syndicate not like the old AC games? I was always kind of interested in playing that one, but never did.

Yes, it very much is. I have no idea why some people hate Syndicate so much. It's one of my favorites.

Also, yeah OP, you should play Unity. It's pretty good. I think it does have the weakest main character though.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Unity is the worst main Assassins Creed game, the only one I rushed the game to get it over with

So was Syndicate not like the old AC games? I was always kind of interested in playing that one, but never did.

Syndicate was basically the peak of the old style (1 city style ones and not the like Black Flag/Rogue open ones), Unity probably hurt it after how messy it was

Do wish you could have played as Evie the whole game, but like 2/3 of it is better then nothing I suppose

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
I liked it quite a bit, obviously there were all sorts of issues at launch but it's mostly good now I believe, especially on PC. I played it on xbox one at launch and despite the bugs I still really enjoyed it. It's classic AC which is what I loved about it. I'm not a Black Flag hater or a hater of the new RPG style per se, but I do just plainly prefer the old AC format in a big city and Paris is huge and gorgeous. It's not the best protagonist the series has seen, but I loved the time and place of the game so much.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I had issues with some of it, but I would recommend it to any fan of AC. I was blown away by how much fun I ended up having with it.

It was the last one I played.

My question is if I should play Rogue or just continue on to Syndicate?

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
I had issues with some of it, but I would recommend it to any fan of AC. I was blown away by how much fun I ended up having with it.

It was the last one I played.

My question is if I should play Rogue or just continue on to Syndicate?

Did you like Black Flag? If so Rogue is mostly similar, it was pretty underrated since it was the "last gen" edition to Unitys "current gen" edition at the time

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Personally, I thought a lot of the quality tanked in Syndicate outside of the main story. The side quests are really shoddily written and for me it definetly feels like a game made by 5 different teams of very different quality or time that it feels notable in this game for me even though all AC's are probably handled this way. Even from main missions there seem to be noticable consistency and continuity issues.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yes. I expect to see a ton of hate in this thread for the game's technical shortcomings, but everything else about it is amazing. I liked Arno and Elise almost as much as I did Ezio. I logged 108 hours before I was done with it, more than any other AC game.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yes, it very much is. I have no idea why some people hate Syndicate so much. It's one of my favorites.
Syndicate is like the old games and it did come out after Unity. FYI, Syndicate is a contender for my favorite AC game. I really liked it's slightly more modern setting and gadgetry.
Syndicate was absolutely classic style AC and I found it much more fun and interesting than Unity.
Syndicate was basically the peak of the old style (1 city style ones and not the like Black Flag/Rogue open ones), Unity probably hurt it after how messy it was

Do wish you could have played as Evie the whole game, but like 2/3 of it is better then nothing I suppose
Oh syndicate is very old school, it's also great imo, i really enjoyed it.
I forgot about Syndicate. As people above have correctly said, it was indeed the last of the old AC style.

Worth playing too, but was fairly by the numbers compared to Unity imo.
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies, but I appreciate it!
It's good to know that Syndicate is very well-liked. I really like the old-style AC games and I find the 1800s England setting and dual protagonists thing very appealing, but the game came out during the time I was heavily addicted to Destiny, so I never got around to playing it. I'll have to correct that!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
haven't played this in awhile but back when I played this (which was waaaay after it's broken launch) I thought it was a solid entry.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I say this as someone who bought Unity and launch and hated it constantly up until last year. Then on my maybe 6th attempt of giving it a chance it really clicked. I played it non stop until I got the platinum and once that happened I was a little sad that it was over lmao. Did the DLC and everything as well. So yes, you should play it!

OP
OP
KrillinLikeAVillan
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for all the advice, i have decided to play unity starting this weekend, i am weirdly excited to play it despite it being a eight year old game.

I did not like black flag, the last part sounds interesting.

Lots of naval combat?

Yup you spend a lot of time out on the sea, i really like the setting of rouge, a lot of artic settings, dodging icebergs, surviving snow storms and staring in awe at northern lights, the city parts are a bit meh but the seafaring part is top notch.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Yes, really good game. One of the few games I would have loved to see remade, this game was simply too mabitious for its time.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody kept saying Syndicate was the better game, but I felt it was a huge step backwards from Unity's content, side quests and all that. I really enjoyed all the stuff you could do in Paris.

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Unity, though it has some performance issues.
On console at least.
Seemed like the natural evolution of the series, and there was a ton of stuff, like the number of indoor areas, and the curated assassination missions that were leaps and bounds ahead of what came before.
Really feels like the direction the series was supposed to go in, rather than what it's been since Origins.

Syndicate felt like a step back.
A perfection of the older style.
Maybe my favorite game in the series, but I did miss the things from Unity.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah it's actually not bad at all after the patches. I'd say it's just too much Ass Creed, but if that's your jam, then you'll have a great time.

The atmosphere of the game is one of the best accomplishments in gaming, and I'm not even kidding.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Story has it's issues (big one) but it was still good AC game and parkour is simply amazing in that game.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Another yes for Unity. I enjoy my time paying. The city is beautiful. Also, the game still looks great today.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it´s the last, best "classic" formula AC. Sidenote, i recommend changing the voice language to french too for added authenticity! :D
Nah, Syndicate was also classic formula and better. Grapple Hook was a fantastic addition and I liked Evie.
Unity is still a very good game. I finished it last year and had a lot of fun with it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's decent. Not sure how anyone can say it's the best in the series though. Unity doesn't come close to AC2 or Black Flag. I think people have started looking back on Unity with rose colored glasses because it and Syndicate were the last of the older style of AC games. For a long time it was seen one of the worst of the series along with AC3 and I think that's still apt even after they patched it. Neither of those are bad games or anything but they're just not nearly as good as the higher points in the series.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I played Unity for a bit some time ago on PC and man, its still a really demanding game, put my 1060 on its knees.

What really bothered me was all the multiplayer missions. They all have a little storyline but I couldn't find anyone to do them with me (or at least no one that didnt just go speedrunning everything) and I couldn't solo them.

Wanderish

Jan 5, 2019
It's in the top 3 in the series for me. It has a good interesting story combined with the best parkour mechanics and a perfect representation of a revolutionary city of Paris, everyone with interest in the series should try it!

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I intend to play it too soonish. I know that I also should play it in French. Ubisoft have pretty good voice casting for French and the darn game is set in Paris

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I played Unity at launch on PS4 and while yes it did have problems, in my experience it was never anywhere near as bad as its reputation. The worst bugs I had were NPCs doing odd silly things like trying to walk through walls or floating down the street instead of walking. And of course the issue where LOD would change NPC character models completely- different clothes, different hair, etc. There was the infamous stained glass window where if you climbed on it the framerate would drop 100000%. The lame locked chests that could only be opened if you signed up for some crappy Ubisoft Online membership or whatever. Nothing game breaking, and it was all dealt with via patches. All of the famous glitches of inside out faces and players getting stuck on architecture etc, none of that stuff ever happened to me in well over 100 hours of gameplay. I eventually came to suspect those vids and jpegs were sourced from people playing early leaked PC versions with no patches and bad drivers.

Anyway, IMO Unity is a fine AC game and definitely worth playing if you like AC. Definitely underrated.

EDIT: the 4-player co-op might have been legit buggy, but I never played that mode so I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this too and I've been enjoying it for the most part. Economy is broken tho. Got the second highest tier of gear after like the second sequence with some grinding + co-op lol

Anyone have some tips for parkour? It feels really janky and I get caught on things so damn much.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah definitely worth playing for old school AC fans.
Definitely in my top five ACs and I recently purchased it again on XSX; dream of a upgrade patch :(