• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Florida is extremely expensive, the people are mostly unfriendly, and the heat (while good at first) starts to really wear down on you.
Wrong. Florida is really cheap in 97% of the state.

That being said if you wanna scuba you would do best on the South East side. Anything within a few hundred miles south of the St Johns (aka North East FL) is ugly/ brackish nearest to the coastline.

I have no experience in the Gulf Coast (west coastline) so I can't say how the beaches/ culture is there.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just move to the coast of the Carolinas instead. It has the beaches and is slightly less trashier than Florida.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
What's life like in other coastal towns in the SE US? I'm curious about Charleston, SC. It would be nice to live somewhere warm with a beach, but to also have some semblance of actual seasons.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's life like in other coastal towns in the SE US? I'm curious about Charleston, SC. It would be nice to live somewhere warm with a beach, but to also have some semblance of actual seasons.
Seasons are pretty muted in Florida. No snow, and while there are some pockets of cold temperature weeks here and there during the winter, Florida feels relatively same-y year-round. Well, unless you're in the peak of summer, where the heat and humidity are high, but it's prime season for hitting the beach or dipping in a pool.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I'd personally suggest North Carolina, which allows you to live in one of the more liberal city centers like Raleigh/Durham while still being a few hours from the beach and the mountains. I at least loved living there when I was younger and have considered moving back if the opportunity presented itself.

North Carolina is also on my radar. The wreck diving off the coast is good!

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Seasons are pretty muted in Florida. No snow, and while there are some pockets of cold temperature weeks here and there during the winter, Florida feels relatively same-y year-round. Well, unless you're in the peak of summer, where the heat and humidity are high, but it's prime season for hitting the beach or dipping in a pool.
Oh, I'm used to that life. I lived in South Florida for a few years and loved it, but I don't think I could ever convince my wife to move back.

I could probably swing Tampa or St. Pete if I made a good enough case.

Anyway, I never seen to hear much about coastal areas in Georgia and the Carolinas. I wonder why that is.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Moved to the Space Coast from Mississippi about 10 months ago. Ocean called me.
I've never been happier. Absolutely love it here.
And no, it's not really expensive.

central and south Florida are fantastic

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
INB4: "Watch out for Florida Man!" "Get out while you still can!"

I'm in-between jobs at the moment. I'm not happy where I live currently. I've already lived in east Texas, central Georgia, east Tennessee, and central South Carolina. Also, Singapore. (Singapore was my favorite comparatively).

I would love to be closer to the beach and the ocean since SCUBA diving is one of my main passions. I enjoy tropical weather so Florida's heat and humidity are a plus for me.

Tampa seemed like a nice city to move to but I'm open to other suggestions.

Move to Pompano.

I live in Lakeland. Nothing but old white people, but holy shit is it quiet, clean, and oddly enough, lively. First time I've genuinely ever liked Florida since moving from Saint Cloud

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I moved to Miami for work two years ago and I love it. I'm in a really good situation that allows me to avoid most of the negatives of the area though.

- Traffic is awful during typical rush hour times, like horrendously awful if you are coming from the south (Kendall, Palmetto Bay, etc) it will take 1+ hour to go 10-15 miles. I live about 2 miles from work though.
- It's expensive but you can find cheaper areas to live if you look. My work pays for part of my rent and I got a roommate, splitting costs on a 2-br is pretty manageable. 1-br is tough.
- Hurricanes, haven't been in one yet thankfully. Just the near-miss last year and a tropical storm the year before.
+ Lots of things to do, there are essentially 5 different city centers within Miami all with good places to eat, drink, live, etc.
+ Easy access to the Keys
+ Warm weather, it only gets down into the 50s during the coldest parts of the winter, at night. During the day it mostly stays in the 70s. Rest of the year is mid-80s and humid.

You could also look at Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, or West Palm.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Parts of Tampa are really nice, and there are a ton of cool places to hang out at night.

Florida is much like any other state, there are good parts and bad parts. Only with Florida you also get to enjoy feeling like you are living inside in active volcano in the middle of January.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm used to that life. I lived in South Florida for a few years and loved it, but I don't think I could ever convince my wife to move back.

I could probably swing Tampa or St. Pete if I made a good enough case.

Anyway, I never seen to hear much about coastal areas in Georgia and the Carolinas. I wonder why that is.
Savana and Charleston are nice. Myrtle Beach is fine, it reminded me a bit of the Jersey Shore except in the south though.

Nov 7, 2017
Parts of Tampa are really nice, and there are a ton of cool places to hang out at night.

Florida is much like any other state, there are good parts and bad parts. Only with Florida you also get to enjoy feeling like you are living inside in active volcano in the middle of January.
75 degrees and breezy this week. Dont know about active volcano. We have perfect weather all the time except july-september when it is like said active volcano

deftech

Oct 29, 2017
Tampa, Orlando, and Miami are fine. Miami isn't cheap, and Tampa/Orlando aren't far behind. Traffic sucks in all three. What do you do for work, OP?

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
Im right there with you OP. Would love to be able to live in Miami or Tampa and be able to stroll the beach when I have free time. Property taxes and insurance are pretty expensive, no income tax is nice though.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I live in Orlando and I love it. I also have a degree in theme park management so where I can live is very narrow but I really enjoy the atmosphere of the city.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Tampa? Yes
Anywhere else especially North Florida fuck no.
not quite. Jacksonville Beach? Yes. Saint Petersburg (Not surrounding suburbs) Yes. Miami (if you have money) yes. Orlando (downtown only) yes.

for op's interests, St. Pete would be my advice to you. In this city you are both minutes from downtown or minutes from the beach wherever you are. Our beach is one of the most beautiful in the country. Tons of old people there though, living in condos. Downtown is super young and they are currently building loads of new apartments geared to attract even more young people.

Last edited:

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I'd recommend it. I moved down here from Ohio a few years ago and I love it. I currently live in Tallahassee (moved here from Tampa for work). The city is lame but the weather is mostly nice. I wish I could move back to Tampa. Loved the city and it was relatively close to all of the nice beaches.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
OP said he was into scuba diving... so.
I can't swim. When I go scuba diving, I just sink to the bottom and stay there until someone on the surface hauls me up. /s

I feel like moving towards tropical regions is not a great idea with the threat of climate change looming.

Climate change is definitely on my mind. I currently volunteer at the aquarium as a diver but I'd like to do work in the field helping out in any way that I can. I'm just one person but I hope I can make a small bit of difference. (Even if it's just picking up trash.)

As a life long Floridian, no, don't move here. In fact, can I move in with you so I can get the fuck out of here?
Well, I don't know about that. Maybe we can just switch apartments. I hope you get the chance to move away though. That's how I felt about East TN.

Tampa, Orlando, and Miami are fine. Miami isn't cheap, and Tampa/Orlando aren't far behind. Traffic sucks in all three. What do you do for work, OP?

My degree was originally in digital media (photo and video editing etc.) but I went through a coding boot camp so now I'm getting into web development. Currently, I work as a tutor in math and sciences from elementary to college level while I study code. (I've also worked in aquariums as a hospitality person but I'd rather not do that anymore...).

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
not quite. Jacksonville Beach? Yes. Saint Petersburg (Not surrounding suburbs) Yes. Miami (if you have money) yes. Orlando (downtown only) yes.

for op's interests, St. Pete would be my advice to you. In this city you are both minutes from downtown or minutes from the beach wherever you are. Our beach is one of the most beautiful in the country. Tons of old people there though, living in condos. Downtown is super young and they are currently building loads of new apartments geared to attract even more young people.
Any particular issues with the suburbs around St. Pete? This thread had me looking at houses in Gulfport that seemed very affordable. Is it just a lack of things to do? It seems pretty close to downtown St. Pete for fun activities and St. Pete Beach for the water.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Any particular issues with the suburbs around St. Pete? This thread had me looking at houses in Gulfport that seemed very affordable. Is it just a lack of things to do? It seems pretty close to downtown St. Pete for fun activities and St. Pete Beach for the water.
Gulfport is actually great. It's one of the oldest areas of the region and there's a nice market street there right on the water. By suburbs I was thinking more about the hellscapes of Largo, Pinellas Park, places north of St. Pete

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I just moved back up north from Florida. Unless you have a good job waiting for you, I'd say no. This is coming from someone who lived there for 14 years. Not going to miss Tampa, Orlando, Gainesville or Miami.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
is there really a big gator problem?
As long as you have a cat to protect you, you're good.

33XG9wi.gif

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Tampa's only flaw is it's public transportation or lack of. Other than that it's not a bad place to live and is experiencing a downtown boom.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa is great, speaking as someone who moved here 3 years ago from Indiana. Don't listen to the guy who said it's expensive to live here, it's not.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Moved from MI to Tampa 4 years ago and love it down here. But please listen to the shit post, and don't move down here. Traffic is getting a lot worse with the huge migration of folks, we don't have room lol. Keep on hating please, it's helped scare a few people away but shits slowly not working anymore.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
is there really a big gator problem?
Yup they'll rob you blind at traffic lights. Come up and bite you in the ass when you're sitting on your toilet minding your business. It's very scary down here all over the the big ass state, it's everything you've read and feared over on the internet. The gators a pretty racist, and as a black man I fear for my life every time I see them at the Tampa zoo.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
In the next few years Florida is going to have like the fastest private rail connecting all the good cities. Tampa I pay like 1800 2 bedroom luxury apt close to downtown and the airport. I saw singles were like 1300 or so

Oct 25, 2017
Beach areas tend to be, which is the OP's goal. Somewhere like Tallahassee would be cheaper while still being a good sized city with plenty of job opportunities, but probably isn't what they are looking for.
We live less than a mile from the beach here in Pensacola and the houses were mostly cheaper than Birmingham AL suburbs besides beachfront houses.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Florida is ok for the most part. Just be aware that Florida has one of the fastest growing populations in the country(approx. 900 people move to the state every day) This contributes to a lot of problems. Especially in the cities you'll find increasingly terrible traffic, water supply issues, increasing housing prices, among other things. Even in the five years I've lived in central Florida I've seen things getting worse. But overall it's still pretty decent.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. I kind of miss how green everything was and how it feels like a resort state. Don't miss the heat or humidity and the job market never felt great.
I live in Tampa Bay right now. A small two bedroom apartment near me is 1500 dollars per month at cheapest, and I'm in a less crowded area of the region.
2bdrm apartments where I live in Cali are $3800, 1bdrm $2400. I grew up in SoFla and had a really nice apartment 1bdrm in Palm Beach for 850. I'd die for a 1500 2bdrm

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Be advised, places are cheaper, but employers are therefore cheaper and pay you less. If you can get the job, go for it, might as well enjoy the state before climate change completely fucks us.