• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
So, I'm 30, I've only ever completed my Associates degree in Social Science, my current job pays about the average US salary (Medical Industry- reviewing geriatric patient's opiate usage), but I kinda want more from my life. I've been accepted into Penn State, but due to my work schedule, my time is limited so I plan on transferring to their 'World Campus' (online) which is more limited in their offerings. But economics along with politics have always been an interest of mine. I'm just curious if it's worth my time and money. I want to climb the ladder in my life as I currently feel stagnant. Thoughts?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Are you passionate about it and do you find it compelling at the depth of a career in it?

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Have you looked into the types of careers you can have with an economics degree, do any of them seem interesting, as well a realistic possibility?

If all you're looking to do is climb the corporate ladder, you can't really go wrong with a business degree.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Econ is a great degree for research and banking/community development-type degrees. But I did not major in Econ, just took the courses and briefly worked around a lot of economists.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Are you passionate about it and do you find it compelling at the depth of a career in it?

I really don't know what my true passion is to be honest. But I do find interest in market trends and the influential components found in humanities.

I really just wish to get a broad bachelors that allows me to fine-tune my direction as I go along.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I majored in Econ.

Econ is a great degree for getting into a lot of jobs, people look really highly on it. However, I went into finance and I would have benefitted much more from a Finance degree than an Econ one in terms of actually learning relevant stuff to my career.

In the end, getting the job is more important however, so I'm very happy with the degree I got.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I majored in Econ.

Econ is a great degree for getting into a lot of jobs, people look really highly on it. However, I went into finance and I would have benefitted much more from a Finance degree than an Econ one in terms of actually learning relevant stuff to my career.

In the end, getting the job is more important however, so I'm very happy with the degree I got.

Did you get a BS or BA? I think I'm more interested in real world application so I'm leaning less towards quantitative i.e. BS

Also, thank you for the insight

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Did you get a BS or BA? I think I'm more interested in real world application so I'm leaning less towards quantitative i.e. BS

Also, thank you for the insight

Mine is BA

Edit: And also, a simple answer to my situation I mentioned above; it could have easily been solved if I simply took some finance classes that either worked for my major or towards whatever other requirements I had (or just minored in it), that would have been the best of both worlds

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I really don't know what my true passion is to be honest. But I do find interest in market trends and the influential components found in humanities.
I really just wish to get a broad bachelors that allows me to fine-tune my direction as I go along.
As others have suggested, I would look into what end result you think could suit. Which isn't intended to be picked out and stuck to, but to give you some basis for what roles this road could offer you, and the skills required (as then similar but different roles with them may be explorable too). I would also skim over the course within economics for the topics fo study and get a sense for the areas within the broad spectrum particularly pique your passion and focus.

If it's of keen interest at that level then I'd say go for it. Funnily enough I was in a similar but inversed position to yours. Studying accountancy and economics and realising that despite being really interesting, it wasn't stoking things inside of me and speaking to something that really got me moving. So I wish you all the fortune in taking that jump toward something that does for you.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Mine is BA

Edit: And also, a simple answer to my situation I mentioned above; it could have easily been solved if I simply took some finance classes that either worked for my major or towards whatever other requirements I had (or just minored in it), that would have been the best of both worlds

Got it. Thank you for the help!

As others have suggested, I would look into what end result you think could suit. Which isn't intended to be picked out and stuck to, but to give you some basis for what roles this road could offer you, and the skills required (as then similar but different roles with them may be explorable too). I would also skim over the course within economics for the topics fo study and get a sense for the areas within the broad spectrum particularly pique your passion and focus.

If it's of keen interest at that level then I'd say go for it. Funnily enough I was in a similar but inversed position to yours. Studying accountancy and economics and realising that despite being really interesting, it wasn't stoking things inside of me and speaking to something that really got me moving. So I wish you all the fortune in taking that jump toward something that does for you.

I really appreciate the info and kind wishes. So if I can ask, what direction did you ultimately take?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good degree that people value, just be prepared for an Econ bachelors to only teach you just how much you don't actually know about Economics.

Sudafed51

Oct 27, 2017
I have a BS and a MA in Economics. I love the subject matter and it has helped me immensely in my professional career. I love the subject matter and I try to expand what I know on a daily basis with the economist here at work (I'm at a Fortune 50 company so there are plenty around). If you have questions, I can take the time to answer after lunch. Both of the schools I went to taught the undergrad courses in very different ways so depending on where you go, your experience can change.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I really appreciate the info and kind wishes. So if I can ask, what direction did you ultimately take?
Design 🎨. First graphic design and corporate identity before moving into web design and front-end dev, then into UI and UX. Bits of penetration testing and infosec dotted throughout to boot.

Quite the about turn 😂

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to school later without a specific job goal feels a little risky to me, even if it's a good general degree to have.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I have a BS and a MA in Economics. I love the subject matter and it has helped me immensely in my professional career. I love the subject matter and I try to expand what I know on a daily basis with the economist here at work (I'm at a Fortune 50 company so there are plenty around). If you have questions, I can take the time to answer after lunch. Both of the schools I went to taught the undergrad courses in very different ways so depending on where you go, your experience can change.

Thank you! I'll definitely be reaching out to you!

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some Users on era: Yes this is a good idea

Other Users on era: No, dont become a slave to the machine

Me, the only smart one: Major in big ol anime tatas

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
OP I can some perspective from my experience. I was an Econ undergrad recently. The last few months of my degree I was looking for jobs and didn't find too much that paid well. So I went back for a Masters in data science and have been doing much better than I would have otherwise since completing that. However, I enjoy programming and technical stuff so that influenced my choices too.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, well, I have both a Computer Information Systems degree and an Economics degree - I'm not sure how useful Econ has been for work, per se, but it definitely has its benefits.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My answer would be to try to figure out what you would actually enjoy doing for a career and finding a degree or education that will help you achieve that goal, as opposed to getting a degree and then spending years trying to find a job that you enjoy that your degree will give you a leg up in.

ferma

Oct 27, 2017
La Jolla
Worked for me. Undergrad in International Economics. I got a non-teaching job in Japan before graduation and followed that up with a position in India.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to work as an economist, you'll likely need a masters degree at least. Also you need to be comfortable with the quantitative side of things or your options will be extremely limited. The more math and stats courses you can take, the better. Also, look into taking some basic programming courses too. Most economist positions I see posted want expertise in a variety of data analysis software like R and SAS and also database stuff like SQL.

If you want non-quantitative jobs, you could look into becoming a policy analyst. Economics can be a good foundation for this too, but most in the field these days have a masters in public policy or economics. Most of these jobs are located in capital cities so your location will impact the opportunities here.

What kind of job would you like to get afterwards?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I have BS in Economics (from the Liberal Arts School, yeah that's a thing). Penn State too.

After graduation, I spend a few years being a bit listless after college doing retail work until I wound up in the insurance industry. (the Econ degree first got me a job at a real estate title company that was looking for college grads to process Real Estate transaction paperwork -it was awful- and I left there quickly to work at an insurance agency (I guess the real estate office experience helped me land the insurance job), and I've now been in the industry for 13 years.

Nothing I did in any job really relates to anything I learned in school (not that I really remember anything I learned in school now 20 years later, but that's the way it goes). I guess the actual 'Economist' jobs are mostly in Washington DC, but I never even considered that move or pursuing that- I was a pretty clueless kid back in those days that had no idea what I wanted to do with myself.

Back then I just had a vague notion of maybe working at a bank, but they didn't want to hire any managers, loan officers, or anything making wages above minimum wage unless you had "experience", and I didn't want to be a bank teller making minimum wage when I could just go work retail and actually did a little bit better.

Looking back, sometimes wonder if I really needed that degree, to land the job I have now, but it was part of the path and I wound up OK, so it is what it is.

My advice- if you want the degree, go for it, but don't skip out on job fairs that might be offered prior to graduation- get a good position out of school, and don't be listless like me for the first few years.

Last edited:

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an Econ degree. It's definitely versatile, so go for it if you find the study of it interesting.

If you're not already skilled in it, you should be sure that you get a course in how to properly utilize Excel. That definitely helped me find a job.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have a BSc in Economics - a masters is definitely useful but not completely necessary. If you have the option I think a BSc looks better than BA on paper, plus the extra math/stats courses you take are somewhat useful.

I minored in finance, which for my current profession (health economist) didn't end up all that essential, but it was interesting.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I have a BA in Economics. It's...fine? I had a shit job out of college for 2-3 years but now I'm a manager in Advertising and I love my gig.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I did a BA in Economics. IMO it's a great all around degree. I might be biased but in my experience I think people respect it more than a general Business Admin degree.

You really can do just about anything with it. I ended up in tech - specifically, pre-sales solutions consulting. I love it.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
If you want to work as an economist, you'll likely need a masters degree at least. Also you need to be comfortable with the quantitative side of things or your options will be extremely limited. The more math and stats courses you can take, the better. Also, look into taking some basic programming courses too. Most economist positions I see posted want expertise in a variety of data analysis software like R and SAS and also database stuff like SQL.

If you want non-quantitative jobs, you could look into becoming a policy analyst. Economics can be a good foundation for this too, but most in the field these days have a masters in public policy or economics. Most of these jobs are located in capital cities so your location will impact the opportunities here.

I actually live in Harrisburg, Pa- I'd love to get into the political realm. Thank you for all the advice!

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I am growing worried now though.

I wouldn't say I have a passion for Economics, but rather just a general interest. Some of that interest even coming from just the career prospect thereafter.

Blah. I don't know what to do. I wish I had some real passion in life, but I don't necessarily know what that something is.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say I have a passion for Economics, but rather just a general interest. Some of that interest even coming from just the career prospect thereafter.

Blah. I don't know what to do. I wish I had some real passion in life, but I don't necessarily know what that something is.
What career prospects?

You're going to a school that has actual Finance degrees. Do that instead. Econ is for people at liberal arts universities that don't have undergraduate business schools.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
My answer would be to try to figure out what you would actually enjoy doing for a career and finding a degree or education that will help you achieve that goal, as opposed to getting a degree and then spending years trying to find a job that you enjoy that your degree will give you a leg up in.
God- I'm overwhelmed. I just want a bachelors with a promising outlook. It's hella depressing that at my age, I still don't know what I want. I'm too damn indecisive.

I'm really not sure. I work in healthcare now so an analyst in the health care or political industry would be exciting.

I have BS in Economics (from the Liberal Arts School, yeah that's a thing). Penn State too.

After graduation, I spend a few years being a bit listless after college doing retail work until I wound up in the insurance industry. (the Econ degree first got me a job at a real estate title company that was looking for college grads to process Real Estate transaction paperwork -it was awful- and I left there quickly to work at an insurance agency (I guess the real estate office experience helped me land the insurance job), and I've now been in the industry for 13 years.

Nothing I did in any job really relates to anything I learned in school (not that I really remember anything I learned in school now 20 years later, but that's the way it goes). I guess the actual 'Economist' jobs are mostly in Washington DC, but I never even considered that move or pursuing that- I was a pretty clueless kid back in those days that had no idea what I wanted to do with myself.

Back then I just had a vague, notion of maybe working at a bank, but they didn't want to hire any managers, loan officers, or anything making wages above minimum wage unless you had "experience", and I didn't want to be a bank teller making minimum wage when I could just go work retail and actually did a little bit better.

Looking back, sometimes wonder if I really needed that degree, to land the job I have now, but it was part of the path and I wound up OK, so it is what it is.

My advice- if you want the degree, go for it, but don't skip out on job fairs that might be offered prior to graduation- get a good position out of school, and don't be listless like me for the first few years.

I really appreciate the detailed look-back on your decision

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017

If you're unsure, don't do it. What do you mean by general interest? Are you interested in unemployment numbers? International trade? Statistical modelling? How the fed sets interest rates?

Try to picture and end goal. A job that you think you could be happy in every day. Then try to pick a major that will help you get that job.

What kind of things do you like doing? Are there particular tasks at your current job that you really like? Try to picture jobs that have as much things you like vs things you don't.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I say go for it. I majored in resource economics which is actually an agricultural degree because it required one less year of a foreign language. It is generic enough that you can get into a major corporation and then work your way up then. I never had a set job in plan so econ got me to supply chain which has a ton of roles and growth and now I'm in manufacturing.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
God- I'm overwhelmed. I just want a bachelors with a promising outlook. It's hella depressing that at my age, I still don't know what I want. I'm too damn indecisive.

I'm really not sure. I work in healthcare now so an analyst in the health care or political industry would be exciting.

I really appreciate the detailed look-back on your decision

Since you already work in healthcare, have you thought about nursing? Bachelor (BSN) has a great career outlook. You can go pretty much anywhere in the country in the US. If you hate the floor you can move towards an office job. There's a ton you can do with it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Take some econ lessons on KhanAcademy or something to see if you're even really interested in this before committing money to it. You're not too old or too dead to "waste" time learning about what interests you, but you probably have a higher opportunity cost than an 18-22yo.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't have, but from people I know who do they seem happy with their decision. There's varied opportunities with an Economics degree.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel my work has really taken any hard knowledge from my Econ degree but at the same time I've found it flexible enough to branch out into a ton of different fields. Now I'm mostly in data analytics.

Like you, I didn't know what I really wanted to do so that's why I picked Econ for the flexibility and I found the classes interesting. Overall? I don't really regret it, though I could have majored in like Computer Science and probably be better off, but that's OK.