• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
Miles has a much, much better vibe to it and is a much tighter game. I couldve skipped the first and been happier with the return on my time investment.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
They're both worth playing, but Miles Morales is the better tighter game. I'd say play that first and if you're looking for more, play the OG.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you could absolutely play Miles first, then the first game after if you want more Spiderman. Miles should be more impressive (and fun) if you haven't spent 15 to 20 hours playing an extremely similar game right before it just to get the story presented in chronological order. I enjoyed the story in Spiderman, but you'll be able to get what you need out of Miles with or without that background. If you enjoy Miles, you can then go back and play SM:R, which is a bigger game in both good ways and bad ways.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I got the ultimate edition and replayed the original. Started Mikes Morales but fell off. Probably due to burnout of the formula. As suggested before, maybe go reverse order. Otherwise my plan was spider man, then miles morales, then back to spider man for the dlc

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me I have to beat morales...I keep getting distracted by Demons soul. I say skip 1st Spidey so you don't get burned out and just play Miles.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
I'd recommend pacing yourself if you decide to play both titles. Miles Morales is a sorta expansion pack to Spider-Man (2018), and as such it comes along with largely more of the same gameplay loop which can easily get tiresome if the games are played back-to-back.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Nah do the story justice and play them in order. 60fps and raytracing await. You can take a breather between games if you feel you'll burn yourself out.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It would be like playing Uncharted: Lost Legacy or Infamous: First Light without playing the preceding games. You could play it alone, but it works better as a companion piece.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Skip it. The gameplay is too similar and Spider-Man has some really weak sections. You said you prefer Miles so if you only end up playing one, it should be that one.

The only reason to play Spider-Man first is if you are a huge Spider-Man fan because many of the classic villains only pop up in the first game and those fights are mostly really good.

Just don't settle for the "Previously on Spider-Man" at the beginning of Miles, find a more complete summary of the story and watch that before you play.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SM is longer and has more stuff to do. The story is also miles (heh) better.

However, Miles sort of cuts some of the ridiculous stealth missions from the first & is a little more fluid in some ways. The abilities build on Peter's abilities, even if some stuff is missing.

I'd play both, but I'm a big Spider-fan. But the first is absolutely *worth* playing if that's all you wanted to know.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely play part 1 first. It directly connects to Miles and it's an amazing (no pun intended) game.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely don't skip the first game as it has Miles origin story in it. That being said Miles is the better game and has the better story.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I didn't play SM and went straight to MM, and have no issues nor regrets. There's some context missing, like the whole world is already aware of and cool with two Spider-Man's so you sort of miss that set up, but the game does include a recap video. And it's not super important anyway since the game isn't really about MM origins

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Play Spiderman, but only the main story stuff. THe side content is junk.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I had never played spiderman before the remaster and I have to say it is comfortably in my top 5 games of all time, it's incredible imo.

I did everything there was to do in the game, including the DLC and I got the plat trophy and I just want more! Starting Miles today and I can't wait tbh.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Play the Spider-Man main missions only or try only some side-stuff that seems interesting to you but don't bother completing the crimes or enemy camps. The game can be tedious if you try to complete it even when not playing it back to back with the sequel. Then play all of whatever you like in Miles Morales. It's much shorter and the side-stuff is just the right amount, imo.

I enjoyed to platinum them both but would probably not do it back to back.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
I didn't play SM and went straight to MM, and have no issues nor regrets. There's some context missing, like the whole world is already aware of and cool with two Spider-Man's so you sort of miss that set up, but the game does include a recap video. And it's not super important anyway since the game isn't really about MM origins

Thank you for your opinion. I think I'll go directly to MM. There is something about the MM atmosphere I just prefer over SM.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who recently played SMR before MM, I'd say play remastered first. Gives you the backstory for the whole MM game, and improves on the combat. Maybe don't play them back to back though

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's a port. I mean new hotness.

But it seems that the original is getting a lot of praise.

I also prefer Miles since the Spiderverse film.
It's kinda weird to see this stance when Miles Morales is also on the PS4. I think a lot of the tech upgrades that went into Miles Morales also went into the Remaster. So since both games share the same tech and both games are on both the PS4 and PS5, they're going to be a lot closer than you're giving them credit by saying one is a port while the other is next gen. Play the Remaster first.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter which order you play it in really, even though Miles is the direct sequel and there will be spoilers.

The problem with not playing SM1 at all is SM2 will be a direct sequel that picks up on loose plot threads and a cliffhanger. Miles' plot is pretty inconsequential overall and if you have any attachment to Spider-Man villains and lore, it's not close which one of those two games uses that stuff better (it's the original).

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't make a lot of sense to skip it. Both are great but the original is a better and more well rounded game.

You're also likely to have less appreciation for some narrative elements in Miles if you skipped Spider-Man.

So, you'd be skipping the better game while also making the expansion harder to appreciate.

If you only play one, play Spider-Man and skip Miles. Otherwise play both, perhaps take a break between the two though as the gameplay isn't really that varied.

Oct 30, 2017
I played Spider-Man first and loved it. I've just got the platinum trophy for it.
However, after grinding through the last bunch of open world fights have burnt myself out and am yet to start Miles Morales.
Shame because I wanted it to feel like a Christmas game due to the setting.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I am in the same boat bought MM Ult Edition but my plan is to definitely play MM after the first. Got some other stuff to finish up before I get into them.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering the same and decided to play the Remaster of the original first. I think it makes sense to play it before MM due to the narrative elements concerning Miles in the first game. If you want to play them back to back, you should definitely skip the open word filler content in Spider-Man. It's really not worth it (aside from the Screwball challenges which I found quite entertaining). I've burnt myself out on the gameplay mechanics due to all the dull hide-out and city emergencies.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely play the original. The story is more than worth it and it sets up Miles' story and the inevitable sequel.
Miles is good but it's not worth skipping the first game for when you could experience both.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The only thing it does better is the story... and has more suits
I also prefer the pacing, the villains, and I'm not a fan of how MM immediately throws in your face that you can collect hundred of these, craft sixty of these, upgrade twenty these, your bonus score went +12 because of what you just did and fill this bar to get that. Game developers really need to stop being insecure and stop gamifying their games. It's okay if players can just *be* in the world, we don't need twenty checklists to feel busy.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd say play the original first. Miles is super streamlined, as you said, but it really rattled through the abilities/progression to match that short playtime. There's a lot of meat and side stuff to Spider-Man 2018 but I think it gives space to the progression in a way that makes more sense for a new player.

Miles is super satisfying to play through if you already know Spider-Man and how it plays (because cuts out all of the chaff) but I think it might be a bit too lean for a new player. It's really short.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Play the original first. The story in Miles Morales continues from the first game, so it will make more sense if you don't skip it.

Just finish the main story and the bigger side missions involving the other villains, you can always skip the general open world stuff, unless you really enjoy the game and want to 100% it.

Also both games are remastered on PS5, with 60fps and Ray Tracing, so should be a great first time playing the game.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Please don't. Not only would you be missing out on one of the best games of the generation, but you'd also not have the complete story going straight into Miles Morales.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
See through the original but don't dedicate yourself to any side stuff that doesn't inspire interest.

The sequel is much more focused, and more successful at fleshing out its side stories.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I wouldn't skip it. The original game is fantastic and longer than Miles Morales.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yes, 100%

Miles Morales is everything Spider-Man is and more in a tighter package. SM is like a 6.5/10 and Miles is an 8.5/10. SM has worse combat encounters and can be a slog.

save your time & play only the best

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen this question being asked multiple times and I do not understand it.

Why would one skip the first game? It is basically the same but MM is shorter with some improvements.