• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I get Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield?

• Pokémon Sword

Votes: 62 51.2%
  • Pokémon Shield

Votes: 59 48.8%

• Total voters

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
So, with Isle of Armor coming later today, I'm finally going to get Sword or Shield. Can't really decide though. Do the version-exclusive features (version exclusive gyms, Pokémon & Klara or Avery) really detract from the experience if you get the opposite version? I know with version-exclusive Pokémon, there's always Pokémon Home and trading so, I'm not super worried about that part. It's the version-exclusive gyms that has me a bit stuck. Might anyone have some suggestions on the subject?

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
Get Shield as majority got Sword

P.S please remember to buy the expansion pass correctly :D

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Which cover doggo do you like better? Do you like swords or do you like shields? That should answer your question.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd choose Pokemon Sword, because Zacian is far better for raids than Zamazenta. Zacian's offenses are like, beyond Mega Rayquaza level with the attack boost factored in. Zamazenta isnt bad at all (and is usable competiitvely as long as it doesn't have the shield, ironically), but Zacian is the clearly superior choice.

All the other exclusives are much easier to obtain than the cover legendary, so I'd highly suggest Pokemon Sword just for Zacian.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you're buying the DLC, get Sword.

Sword_Shield_Klara.png

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sword has the best version exclusive pokemon, I don't want to spoil what pokemon it is but it might be in my avatar.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sword just for Sirfarfetch'd

Why doesn't Nintendo just sell the other version's content as DLC?

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sword may get you Bea, and that's certainly a point in its favor. However, Shield gives you Melony so Shield wins.

Also, Galar Ponyta might be the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Zacian is considerably better than Zamazenta. That's really the only "exclusive" you'll have any trouble getting, so I would go with Sword.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
Get the version that has the Pokemon you want, don't pick based on gym leaders you'll fight 2-3 times.

Also Bea is pretty fucking bland.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Sword is superior.
Like Blue, Silver, X, Moon... But ERA has a thing for celebrating the underdogs, so of course Shield is winning. Happy birthday Dreamcast!! :p

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
It doesn't matter which one you get. Version exclusives can be traded. The story doesn't vary that much apart from the version exlusive gym leaders and the box legendary. Pick one that speaks to you more. The experience is the same.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
A majority of people I know got Shield, so if you have people to play with and you're trying to get a complete dex and all that maybe see what they have before choosing for exclusives access. Really nothing much is lost either way with GTS existing in Home.

On a personal level Sword Dog is better.

OP
OP
celebi23

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter which one you get. Version exclusives can be traded. The story doesn't vary that much apart from the version exlusive gym leaders and the box legendary. Pick one that speaks to you more. The experience is the same.
Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you! Guess I'm going with Sword. I think my coworker actually has Shield so the version exclusive Pokémon won't be a concern. Thanks for the advice all. Really appreciate it!

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Zamazenta (Shield cover legendary) is terrible compared to Zacian.

That's really the main reason to pick Sword over Shield as all the other exclusive Pokes can be easily obtained via trading or raids.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Besides mythical pokemon you can trade for all the pokemon you're going to miss, like Zamazenta by going with Sword.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'd choose Pokemon Sword, because Zacian is far better for raids than Zamazenta. Zacian's offenses are like, beyond Mega Rayquaza level with the attack boost factored in. Zamazenta isnt bad at all (and is usable competiitvely as long as it doesn't have the shield, ironically), but Zacian is the clearly superior choice.

All the other exclusives are much easier to obtain than the cover legendary, so I'd highly suggest Pokemon Sword just for Zacian.

Nah. What you do is get lucky and manage to trade for a zacian :). I got shield and I got a zacian.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So, with Isle of Armor coming later today, I'm finally going to get Sword or Shield. Can't really decide though. Do the version-exclusive features (version exclusive gyms, Pokémon & Klara or Avery) really detract from the experience if you get the opposite version? I know with version-exclusive Pokémon, there's always Pokémon Home and trading so, I'm not super worried about that part. It's the version-exclusive gyms that has me a bit stuck. Might anyone have some suggestions on the subject?

In reality, just get whatever version you want.

If you want to run through the game with a particular team with a particular stat spread/nature, I can provide that along with a lot of other helpful members of the Pokemon community.