• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Been itching for some good old dnd type gameplay and was gonna get divinity 2 but noticed balders gate is coming to switch too.
I enjoyed the fuck out of pathfinder kingmaker on the pc so just wondering which I should get.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Baldur's Gate will be more in line with Pathfinder: Kingmaker , in terms of RTWP, classes, spellbooks, map design, etc. It will definitely fit the "dnd gameplay" more, obviously.

But Divinity OS2 is a much better game than BG1, imo.

So basically I would go with BG collection first if you're looking for something that feels really familiar to what you enjoyed from Kingmaker, and Divinity if you want something a little bit different (turn-based, more environmental interaction, etc).

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
I consider DoS:2 to be one of the best if not *the* best RPG I've ever played, and also heard that the Switch port is very competent, so I'd say: Get DoS:2 for Switch.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DOS2 would rank somewhere in between BG and BG2 for me, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Of course I thi k the BG collection price is absurd, so I'd probably get DOS2 first and grab the BG collection on sale later.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
The BG collection coming out is not a remake. While they are great RPGs, the technical side is very dated and the price on Switch is ludicrous. DOS2 on the other hand is by many considered the gold standard for modern CRPGs. It depends on what you are looking for.

Visuwell

Jan 22, 2019
I havent pleayed BG but Divinity is a brilliant game, easily top 3 all time for me. I actually just double dipped and got a second copy on the switch and it runs amazingly. Yes the resolution and effects are times down but that's to be expected but the ability to take such a wonderful game literally anywhere substantially outweighs any negative

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
are these SRPG's? I have never played them

They are party-based computer RPGs. You explore towns and dungeons from an isometric perspective, take on quests, and build out your characters' stats and abilities. Combat in Divinity: OS2 is turn-based and in BG it's real-time with pause. The former sort of resembles tactical RPGs, although you've only got four characters, and the latter takes inspiration from RTS games.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If you liked Pathfinder you will love Baldur's Gate. They are amazing games and very similar. Divinty is very different style. I've only played the first one but it is not in the same league at all. I know OS2 get's a better rap but OS1 was pretty uninteresting except the gameplay whereas Baldur's Gate world building is fantastic and personally I love RtwP gameplay. The turn based in OS1 was very slow for me and the dialogue is cringey and weak with a pretty poor story.

Last edited:

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend Divinity 2. I have over 100 hours in the switch version and the game is great, but be warned that the switch version has alot of technical problems. The frame rate can tank really low I'm guessing blow teens or lower when some effects are on screen in fights, some sound effects sometimes won't activate when doing spells during fights something with dialogue but that is more rare, and the music will stutter and sometimes just stop and reset. I manage to look past those things and enjoy the game, if you can it's a great game.