• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Modern Warfare or Black Ops Cold War ?

• Modern Warfare

Votes: 170 67.5%
  • Black Ops Cold War

Votes: 82 32.5%

• Total voters

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
For Multiplayer only

The last CoD I played was BO4 and I didn't really like it.

I generally prefer Infinity Ward's games and their more gritty approach, while I always found Black Ops games too colorful and "gamey", but I'm aware that MW is considered "old" now, which will affect player count and update frequency (although I don't really care much about the latter).

I have seen numerous opinions claiming that Cold War seems rushed and isn't really good compared to other CoDs to begin with. I have also read that MW might receive a PS5 update, which would be splendid since I play on PS5.

What's the latest consensus on both Modern Warfare and Black Ops Cold War?

Thanks and stay safe!

JunkoAJ

Nov 6, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Depends what you like - if you don't like more arcadey gameplay, which is what Black Ops series always is, then play Modern Warfare (I think that game is bad outside of gameplay but eh). If you liked previous Black Ops games, then you'll like Cold War. Maps in Cold War are also more traditional 3-lane maps as opposed to MW's design. I think MW's maps are possibly the worst ever but y'know people disagree.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i want to get modern warfare also, but don't want to pay the $60 price tag. Doesnt the game ever go on sale?

i was able to buy cold war at 39.99 i believe a few weeks back and then game is a year newer. What gives?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Modern Warfare is garbage, so many shitty decisions and the worst maps i've ever seen. I'd rather run in real life with a paper gun and shoot trees while doing gun noises with my mouth than playing this atrocity one more time.

Cold War is the better game in every aspect except for how the gun sounds.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think CW is far more flawed but I also had more fun with it. It's definitely the more run and gun friendly game, which is how I like my cods.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I liked MW a lot and when I got Cold War I hated it because it wasn't MW and I had got so used to it.

Now that I have been playing Cold War for a good while, I think its the better of the 2.

I like how certain guns feel in MW and the death animations and overall grittiness of it. But I enjoy the flow of the maps better in Cold War and the weapons have really grown on me. The campaign in Cold War is gorgeous on PS5. I do like both though.

So yeah.. Its close for me but after playing Cold War for a while now something feels off going back to MW and its probably the maps in MP that give it the edge for me.

I'm not sure what I hate more though... Piccadilly or Miami

Last edited:

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Modern Warfare is garbage, so many shitty decisions and the worst maps i've ever seen. I'd rather run in real life with a paper gun and shoot trees while doing gun noises with my mouth than playing this atrocity one more time.

care to explain why? i'm in the same position of the OP and doing a bit of research to buy a COD game, but you coment just shows how much frustrated you are, can you tell why?

and no, i'm not joking, because you're was the only one to say that MW it's not the better one, i want to read the "other" side of it

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cold War is more classic Call of Duty and will grow over time but doesn't have all that much to it right now.

MW has had a year of updates and now has a lot of features for MP, the gameplay and general playability is a step beyond the arcadey Cold War gameplay with useful additions and a more tactile play feel. So it depends what you want, really. I like Cold War, but I love, LOVE MW in a way I haven't loved a military FPS in many, many years.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
CoD at 120fps is really nice. That would be the main point of getting CW. Well that and maybe the 80s aesthetic.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
The weapons sound and feel more realistic in MW. Its the more realistic of the 2. I love that about MW

I prefer the customization of the weapons in CW though. And I like field upgrades and how killstreaks are scorestreaks and is based on score more than kills. So you still get to play with them for playing the objective and not just racking up a ton of kills. And the slide.. *chefs kiss*

Oct 27, 2017
I expect the majority swing to be towards MW here. I actually really like them both and don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd say Cold War feels more "arcadey" or "gamey" and is likely closer to a more old school COD experience. MW is still COD, but it feels like more of a step forward for the series despite being the older of the two.

From your OP it sounds like MW might be more for you, but Cold War is also better than some of the early reaction would have you believe.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just tried playing Cold War again and boy was I reminded why I stopped playing it. It's just such a step backwards. I would only recommend that game if you are looking for a good campaign and zombies though. If competitive is your main thing go for MW.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017

Don't believe these lies

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
If you go for Cold War you'd get the most game support. Modern Warfare's specific battle pass system etc. is over. I enjoyed both personally, I'll say you probably wouldn't be disappointed in either choice. Perhaps flip a coin.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Cold War is basically just another Black Ops game. Faster-paced, arcadey, and generally more zany. Modern Warfare is a bit slower and requires you to be more thoughtful about things. It pretty much just comes down to preference. Both are really fun, just for different reasons. Go for whichever one sounds more appealing to you.

Any other year, I'd just recommend Cold War since it's the latest one and probably has the more active userbase (not counting Warzone), but since both games have crossplay enabled by default, I'm sure the number of players is still fine in Modern Warfare.

i want to get modern warfare also, but don't want to pay the $60 price tag. Doesnt the game ever go on sale?

i was able to buy cold war at 39.99 i believe a few weeks back and then game is a year newer. What gives?
It was on sale for $30 or $40 during the holidays I think. Might've been for Black Friday or something. I'm sure it'll go on sale again in the next few months.

gnilres

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that's better about MW is mounting. Every other aspect, INCLUDING GUN SOUNDS, is better in Cold War. MW guns have too much pop, Cold War's guns BANG

Jun 17, 2018
Both are good games. MW looks a lot better and sounds a lot better. That being said, the maps outside of just a couple are pretty bad. MW is also a bit slower paced compared to other games in the series.

Cold War is a good game but very familiar. It doesn't look or sound quite as good as MW but it's maps are more consistent in their design and its still being supported.

I like them both but I'd give the edge to MW.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
If you liked the first 2 Black Ops games, get Cold War

If not, Modern Warfare.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the playerbase is probably bigger on Cold War

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
care to explain why? i'm in the same position of the OP and doing a bit of research to buy a COD game, but you coment just shows how much frustrated you are, can you tell why?

and no, i'm not joking, because you're was the only one to say that MW it's not the better one, i want to read the "other" side of it
Hello, here what's wrong in MW :

- The map design
I don't even know where to start on that one. Usually, Call of Duty has maps that have been designed with competitive in mind. Which means that you'll have little to no real corners to hide, and a three-lane layout. Here, and only here, the maps are a mess. There's way more corners, some maps are way too busy visually speaking (Hello Piccadilly), and you'll pretty much have to look at like 10 spots in less than a second when you turn around a corner. Which brings us to...

- The neutering of the run & gun
Everything in MW is made to punish players that like to run & gun. There's too many spots to aim & wait, which punish a lot that type of gameplay that is... well, a COD staple. Mounting is also something that counters a run & gun style. The last game that made me feel like they were punishing that type of gameplay was WW2, with the awful regeneration time.

- The spawns
Oh boy. Something is really wrong with the spawns. They made numerous fixes, but it's still fucked up.

To the core, i think MW is simply a broken mess, just by looking at the map design. Getting spawn killed from B on Euphrates Bridge is a really fun experience. But i feel like the game has been really a joy for people that didn't liked Call of Duty before, which is a good thing i guess. I simply hated it, kinda like the rest of the community, and that's not because they're changing things. But because these changes were just awful, in my opinion. (I mean, Advanced Warfare and BO3 are my favs, so...)

If competitive is your main thing go for MW.
I'm sorry what. MW has been the most hated competitive Call of Duty EVER. From Scump to... well, every competitive player.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What I want out of a CoD is a military shooter, so this sounds reassuring.
Yeah, you'll want to go for MW then for sure. It's still a CoD game at its core, but it's the closest thing to a military shooter to ever come out of the series.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Modern Warfare does not have a field of view slider so you should avoid that like the plague. That was ok when we didn't have it before but now that we do it makes MW feel like you're running so damn slow.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Hello, here what's wrong in MW :

- The map design
I don't even know where to start on that one. Usually, Call of Duty has maps that have been designed with competitive in mind. Which means that you'll have little to no real corners to hide, and a three-lane layout. Here, and only here, the maps are a mess. There's way more corners, some maps are way too busy visually speaking (Hello Piccadilly), and you'll pretty much have to look at like 10 spots in less than a second when you turn around a corner. Which brings us to...

- The neutering of the run & gun
Everything in MW is made to punish players that like to run & gun. There's too many spots to aim & wait, which punish a lot that type of gameplay that is... well, a COD staple. Mounting is also something that counters a run & gun style. The last game that made me feel like they were punishing that type of gameplay was WW2, with the awful regeneration time.

- The spawns
Oh boy. Something is really wrong with the spawns. They made numerous fixes, but it's still fucked up.

To the core, i think MW is simply a broken mess, just by looking at the map design. Getting spawn killed from B on Euphrates Bridge is a really fun experience. But i feel like the game has been really a joy for people that didn't liked Call of Duty before, which is a good thing i guess. I simply hated it, kinda like the rest of the community, and that's not because they're changing things. But because these changes were just awful, in my opinion. (I mean, Advanced Warfare and BO3 are my favs, so...)

everything you said is on point with the opnion of a close friend, yeah, that's bad, i guess ill wait for the next cod since i have no interest in CW campaing and ill not pay full price on a MP mode.Thank you for the clarification!

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Oh, yeah Cold War is not a military shooter like really at all. It's a jump around a shoot while jacked up on caffeine - shooter more than anything. Either that or camp in a spot with poor visibilty so you can't be spotted.

If i play on Shipment or Shoot House i do prefer MW do since the movement and gun play is so much more polished in that game. Cold War visuals is a big step back and for me also perform worse on my pc.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They play pretty differently and people generally prefer one franchise or the other. So whichever aligns with your tastes more. I, for example, vastly prefer the BO style of COD and bounced off MW super quick so I was really happy with Cold War. I have multiple friends (and more of them) that are the opposite though and don't care for BO at all.

The last CoD I played was BO4 and I didn't really like it.

I generally prefer Infinity Ward's games and their more gritty approach, while I always found Black Ops games too colorful and "gamey"

You should buy Modern Warfare.

May 13, 2018
Modern Warfare does not have a field of view slider so you should avoid that like the plague. That was ok when we didn't have it before but now that we do it makes MW feel like you're running so damn slow.
I was just about to post this. I like MW, but after playing black ops with a raised FOV idk if I could play MW again without a fov slider

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i play on Shipment or Shoot House i do prefer MW do since the movement and gun play is so much more polished in that game. Cold War visuals is a big step back and for me also perform worse on my pc.
Yeah after a few weeks, i played nothing but Shipment and Shoot House on MW, which were the better maps on the whole game (Yeah, Shipment...)

Yeah sounds like MW would be more what you're looking for. If only they hadn't shit the bed so much on most of the maps, I'd still be playing that instead of CW.

Yeah, Miami is the only map that i hate on CW, because it feels like it's a MW map.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cold War is more fun to me in the multiplayer and the campaign. The story backdrop with the Russians feels authentic and the realistic locations help a lot, that faux-ISIS thing Modern Warfare did in a fictional Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan fell flat on its shallow face. Even the Russians don't feel like Russians in that game.

Last edited:

Quigoon

Jan 28, 2021
I am not a Call of Duty player at all, but I'd go with Modern Warfare for its game feel. My favourite thing about Modern Warfare is that it lets you experience its core combat outside of multiplayer. I loved the weapon handling, gunsmith, movement and overall feel of that game, but I hate COD multiplayer. Most of my time playing MW was spent in the co-op modes and the campaign, which may sound weird to most, but that's how I got my fun. By comparison, BOCW's core doesn't satisfy in really any way so I only turn it on to play Zombies with friends here and there.

In case you didn't know, you can (somehow) earn Battle Pass progression playing Modern Warfare, including the co-op modes. You obviously won't be able to use any of those guns and operators in Modern Warfare, but you know, it's another XP bar that gets filled.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm sorry what. MW has been the most hated competitive Call of Duty EVER. From Scump to... well, every competitive player.

Vocal minority. The game was a big success among the general audience. I never hear complaints except from the kind of people that would hang out in a COD subreddit. So yeah, my opinion stands, MW competitive is way more enjoyable. I couldn't stand CW for more than 34 levels. Personally don't really have a developer preference among COD games because before MW my most played one was BLOPS3.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you prefer slow or fast CoD gameplay? If the former, go with MW.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Modern Warfare is the best COD in a looooong time.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've been a huge MW multiplayer guy since the game launched. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I recently bought CW (reluctantly) because i wanted to level up some of the warzone meta CW weapons without resorting to the brain dead plunder contract spam that was my alternative.

The feel at 120hz in CW multiplayer is superior to what I believe is supposed to also exist in MW/Warzone.

The FOV slider on these new gen consoles has also completely changed my experience.

I'm not a fan of some of the mechanics in MP like visible health bars, scorestreaks glitching out etc - but man, it feels great. And that has had me come back to it much more than I intended.

This has become the first CoD i've owned where I'm so far along the multiplayer (Prestige 2) without having completed the campaign. I've not even tried Zombies yet. Given that prior MW, I was a CoD 'complete campaign and then uninstall' guy, that's an entirely unexpected outcome for me.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
play the free warzone first, no reason to pay

if you like it, you can wait till one of the free multiplayer weekends (they have a LOT) for Black Ops Cold War and see if you like that mode. No way of knowing if its gonna click with you or if you'll hate it.

the campaign for both games is fun, I enjoyed them both and it basically comes down to modern story (MW) or 80s nostalgia (BOCW). They are both incredibly short, like 10 hours tops if you try to 100% the campaigns.
BOCW has zombies, both have multiplayer, I'd guess multiplayer is still fairly active in both. I played a few hours a week of MW mp for months, now I play a few hours of BOCW mp every week -- just nuketown 24x7 -- and it scratches that "i wanna game for 20 mins then go do something else" itch I get. It might as well be Fortnite or Minecraft or Tetris honestly, but COD fills that itch.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Map design are terrible in MW. Whenever a content creator plays MW it's always Shoot the Ship playlist which IW likes to remove every week so they play Warzone instead.

That's just a tip of the iceberg.

Also the lack of a proper mini map and you have a compass instead that shows a red dot.

There's no dead silence perk so you're forced to wear headphones and crouch walk through the game

Maps are not designed for 6v6 and again in why people only play Shoot the Ship

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
My buddy and I went with MW. It just sounds like BO was a step backwards in so many ways. Felt weird to have to go out of our way to find any kind of discount on a game that old but that's CoD for you, I guess. From everything I've seen and heard, MW just seems more well realized.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I would suggest Warzone right off the top. As far as MW goes, Modern Warfare is miles better. Cold War is a multiplayer style that's stuck in the past, honestly.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Modern Warfare has a good Multiplayer Mode with a few good maps. Camping as a playstyle is rewarded though (I haven't experienced that too many times in my lobbies though). I went back to it a few days ago to level up some weapons for Warzone (my account got hacked and Activision doesn't care) and gotta say it wasn't too much fun. That being said I clocked round about 200 hours into the MP mode with my old account and had plenty of fun.

Cold War's Multiplayer mode is heaps of fun. I like most of the maps (Cartel not so much), playing in 120fps is awesome and the movement feels a bit more fluid than in MW. It is just a good vibes game for me.

One thing I noticed while playing both games a ton with my buddies over the last months/year - everyone was swearing and complaining the whole time playing Modern Warfare, while playing Cold War we are just having fun and laugh a lot. But that's just my take.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Map design are terrible in MW. Whenever a content creator plays MW it's always Shoot the Ship playlist which IW likes to remove every week so they play Warzone instead.

That's just a tip of the iceberg.

Also the lack of a proper mini map and you have a compass instead that shows a red dot.

There's no dead silence perk so you're forced to wear headphones and crouch walk through the game

Maps are not designed for 6v6 and again in why people only play Shoot the Ship
Fuck i completely forgot about the compass lmao. What the fuck were they thinking