• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buy it now?

• Yes, Play Has No Limits

Votes: 530 72.4%
  • No

Votes: 202 27.6%

• Total voters

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
If you want it: buy it
If you don't want it but you like money: buy it
If you dont want it and you don't like money: don't buy it
:)

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I'm lucky enough to have a Switch, Series X, and PS5. Though I've had fun with the PS5, I'm surprised that it's the least used of the three by far. To me, after the novelty of the DualSense wore off, I think I favor the Xbox controller and I'm going to always play multi platform games on Xbox.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of in the same place. I think it you held off for now, you can wait a bit longer. It only becomes a better purchase the further into the generation you go.

That said, if you can easily buy one at RRP, you're not going to lose money while you decide.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Seeing as you're heavily invested in Game Pass (very, very understandable!) the only question you need to answer is whether you want to go though the hassle of trying to find one when God of War does release. It's very likely that stock will still be an issue at that time and you may find yourself wasting many hours trying to get one when you actually want it.

It's a great console, one of it's best games is a pack-in (Astrobot) and you'll get tonnes of games though PS+ should you feel a need to justify owning it by playing something on it from time to time. If you have the money now then I wouldn't hesitate. In the very worst scenario you could sell it on at no loss.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The invite doesn't guarantee you a PS5. I'm really enjoying the exclusives on it and the console isn't going to be getting any easier to get for the next year. At least that's what they are forecasting.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to take a while before you see a price drop.

If you aren't the type to day 1 games, then you probably don't have to grab it immediately.

If you're likely to be annoyed when a game comes out, but you're having issues finding one at that moment, I would just buy it now.

Buying it immediately actually has more upside because there will be less stress and and you can always resell it down the road if you change your mind for a small profit.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
My vote is yes. Supply issues are supposedly going to be around til the end of next year, so I say get the PS5 while you have the opportunity to. I lucked out and got an invite from PlayStation Direct at launch. I've played more PS4 games on it than PS5 games, but that's ok.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
There are already a few great next gen exclusives to play on the system, plus Horizon is in 2 moths and it's only going to get better from here.

I'd say go for it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't really want it now and won't use it, then maybe grab it and keep it unopened for a little while.

If you find you have it sitting there and don't use it, you could find someone who really wants it and sell it to get all your money back and make someone's day.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
But the reason I'm still not sure, is that God of War: Ragnarok is planned for 2022, and I read somewhere that chip shortages may last until 2023. So maybe I won't get another opportunity to buy it so easily between now and then. On the other hand, by the time I really want one, the price maybe will have dropped?
If you are scared of not being able to buy a PS5 on time for God of War 2022, I would say buy it now. I know some people who have being trying to get one for months. So for that factor, do it.

About the price drop, if this source is correct, I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems that it took 2 tears for the PS4 to drop $50 and another 1 to drop more $50 with the slim model. That was without the chip shortage situation. I imagine that maybe we will see a price drop in 2023, but to me it is more likely for it to happen in 2024 and the slim model dropping together with it. But this is me assuming a lot of things.

Also, I don't know if you have played PS4 all or most PS4 exclusives (at least it seems you played GoW 2018), but you would have access to several games with the PlayStation Plus Collection for PS5.

Nov 14, 2017
I vote get it now. The supply is going to be low for at least the six months and I think that's conservative.

There are tons of good games for it that you can play while waiting for God of War and the next ND title. Plus, if you're signed up for PS+ you can dive into the PS+ Collection on the PS5 and play any first party titles that you might have missed out on. Days Gone runs really well on the PS5.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
If you have doubts about purchasing a 500€ device, don't do it.
That said, ps5 is a fantastic console. And won't probably drop in price anytime soon, so if you plan to own it sooner or later... Why not?

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
If there's no must play exclusives on it for you I'd just pass for now. You didn't mention Horizon Forbidden West which is the next big release, and only mentioned God of War Ragnarok which will likely be late 2022 at the earliest. That said, as many noted, I wouldn't count on any price drops until probably 2023-24 as supply is likely to remain limited and sales strong with these new consoles. So if there's any thing you want to play it may be worth just getting the purchase over with while you have an opportunity to save hassle when God of War or something else you're stoked for is out.

Myself, I nabbed an XSX and a PS5 near launch last fall. While I'm glad to have both, I wouldn't feel like I'd missed anything if I had just gotten the XSX as it's gotten way more play time and the Sony console exclusives have mostly not been up my alley so far with all the delays of things I was looking forward too like Horizon. Like you, I'm spoiled by Gamepass as someone who doesn't collect, rarely replays and thus doesn't care about owning games. If I didn't like so many of Sony and Nintendo's exclusives I'd be fine just stick with Gamepass only to be honest.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
No. It's not worth it yet. Currently, aside from maybe 1 game, there is nothing on PS5 that can't be played elsewhere. At least for me I regret buying both the PS5 and the Series X at launch. It was a waste since the gen won't really start until 2023 likely. God of War can be played on PS4 so its not like you're going to miss it waiting.

Apr 3, 2020
If we were in normal world or a non covid world, I would definitely would recommend to do not buy it yet

unless you need the money for something else, buying the PS5 at RRP is a rare opportunity. Even if you don't use it or used for a little time, you still can sell it for a good price, or even same RRP.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's honestly not really needed or worth it if you're all in the Game Pass — I almost never turn mine on and Returnal is interesting but didn't blow me away. With that being said, I don't think the price will drop next year due to the shortages and demand, so it is probably worth buying now vs later just to have it in your pocket.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'd just buy it, I don't see a price drop anytime soon. Doesn't hurt to lock it in even if you don't plan on using it a ton.

I have both XSX and PS5 and have found (so far) that they have alternating dry spells so it has worked out perfectly. XSX had a packed 2H 2021, PS5 appears to have a packed 1H 2022. Can't go wrong owning both.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has both and definitely played more XSX last year because of Game Pass - the PS5 was totally worth it. Returnal is absolutely amazing (and I am older and not great at "hard" games). By far the best solo experience of the past year. And honestly, the performance increase from PS4 Pro is worth it too.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Granted I only bought two games for mine all year, and that's about how many PS5 exclusives I'm interested in 2022, but when I do need it for something new or to revisit the PS4 catalog I'm certainly glad to have one. If you can afford it and don't have more pressing entertainment upgrades(like a television), why not?

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Get it and if you change your mind sell it to someone who really wants it, trust me there will be someone. These things are like gold.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
If you're into jrpgs and first party exclusives then you should definitely get a PS5 sooner rather than later considering the chip shortage will continue to last at a couple more years.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's the console I've played the most this year so yeah, go get one. BC helps a lot too.

Oct 28, 2017
I jumped on one despite having a PS4 Pro and only playing PS4 games because I am scared Sony will take out the SSD slot in a revision. It's the exact sort of thing they drop when it's time to cut costs, like they did with PS3's PS2 backwards compatibility hardware.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, people on this forum are always going to tell you to do the thing if you ask.

My opinion: do the thing, OP!

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
Mate, trust me, wait till they release a slim model, by then, you'll have enough 1st party games for reasonable price, you just have to be a bit patience. If you already have series x like i do (given you have gamepass), you can easily manage to see out the handful of sony 1st parties till the slim release.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It sounds like there are no PS5 exclusives that you want to play right now. You probably shouldn't buy the PS5 tomorrow. Would be better if it went to someone who will use it.

I wouldn't spend $500 on a dust collector.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Given how much you can sell / trade your PS4 in for its a no brainer to get it now.

at worst you're getting it some months ahead of GOW when you were gonna get it anyway. But it's likely your PS4 value drops by then?. It also lets you play the best versions of Horizon and Miles; while also giving you access to Demon's Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and some other smaller games too.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
It won't get any cheaper within the next 12 months, minimum. So if you plan to get it by then and have the money to spare already it doesn't make that much of a difference, does it? Except that you are guaranteed to have one if you take the opportunity now. Who knows how long the chip shortages will last.

And yeah, used PS4s sell quite well.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
If you plan on getting one before 2024 then there's literally no reason to not get one now. It won't drop in price.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Id buy it if i were you OP (i already did, heh), theres enough exclusives games that justify getting one now. Also, i think its the right moment to sell an used PS4.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
PS5's are hard to get, it has great exclusives already, and it going to have its greatest year yet next year. Idk why anyone would say no unless you hate Sony exclusives.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
It's not even a guarantee you'll be able to secure one anyway even with an invitation I thought? I saw some people saying they still couldn't get one despite having an email.

And yeah, don't expect a price drop for a couple more years.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
If you can, I say yes. It's a great system and the upcoming games are about to get even better.

Xbox Series and PS5 compliment each other well this generation because there will great first party games for both and as you stated, you have GP until 2024. You are in a good position.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Picked one up a few days ago because gamestop had some ridiculous trade in promo, where a ps4 pro covered $450 out of $630 (too bad I had to bundle it with a $90 controller and $60 R&C that I could've bought for $30 from almost anybody else). If it wasn't for the trade-in, don't think I would've bothered.

Sitting in the box, there's nothing that stands out to me.

Maybe if there was a game pass equivalent, I'd play.

Series X has been one of the better gaming purchases I've made in a while, purely because of the value from game pass.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
If you are a game pass subscriber and are now used to the idea of not spending $50+ for a game, i'd wait. Chances are you wouldn't use the PS5 until a title comes out that you absolutely have to purchase.

it will definitely get easier to buy a PS5 as time goes on, chip shortage or not. At some point the market will get saturated enough where it isn't impossible to get one.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As always, buy it if you feel like there's enough games already available or in the nearby future that you're excited to play soon. If you don't, you should wait. There's no reason to spend money on something you don't really want at the moment, right?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
With stock and scalpers....any time you get a chance to get one at retail price, take it.

Like, ppl that plan on getting one with Twitter and Discord stock drop info should have started trying a few month ago if they wanted one this year.

An email from Sony about a Direct is a very good shot at getting one.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
In this case, you probably want to get one and not open it until you are sure you want to 'buy' it.