• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So in FFVII Remake, I had a hell of a time with Rufus in Chapter 17. Probably took me about 10 times to beat him. I was able to take out Darkstar easy enough, but I was never able to attack him while he's reloading, and he interrupts all my big attacks. Finally, I'm able to stagger him with a Braver while he's reloading, and take him out with my Limit Break. It takes him out in one hit, but I feel dirty that he was able to beat the crap out of me so easily, it makes the win feel undeserved.

Another example is Titanfall 2, the fight with Richter. Again, he beats me up pretty handlily, so with no other options, I switch to Ronin loadout and just spam my sword attack, eventually winning, but taking a ton of damage in the process.

In Spider-Man, during the 2nd part of the DLC campaign, I face off with a particularly difficult Hideout mission. In the end I have to contend with two Chaingun grunts, and this was before you could use finishers on them in part 3. Finally once I've beaten everyone but them, I stick and move, running away when they start firing, wasting my time and building focus until I can take them out. Probably took me 10 whole minutes to beat both guys when a skilled player could do it much easier.

So in the end, I'm noticing that when faced with difficult fights I'm forced to either fight cheap or fight dirty, neither of which is an honorable or skillful way of winning. I gain nothing, and I learn nothing, and the victory is thus hollow. Am I worrying too much? Or should I be ashamed that I'm not doing things the "right" way?

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
If you're having fun doing it, then no.

At the end of the day, its a game. Play how you want, and have fun doing it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
finding fun ways to break the game is more fun to me than playing it "right" in a lot of cases tbqh
dark souls boss fell of the bridge? excellent and hilarious

also

who cares? it's not like the gamer cops are gonna arrest you over that

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Yeah, figured this was coming. Yes, using cheat codes or lowering the difficulty level are more common ways of doing this, but even doing it they way I do, I feel bad.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I usually try to find ways to break battle systems and fights, just to see if I can do it.

Don't sweat it for single-player stuff, as long as ya still having fun it's all good.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
No, one of the interesting aspects of games is figuring out how to cheese something. I remember in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles my friends and I got through most boss battles by having two people constantly casting Curaga, one person acting as bait, and one person acting as dps in battles that took 3 times as long as they probably were supposed to because of how underlevelled we were.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The "correct" way to beat something is never gospel. So you cheesed a boss, and that's that. The developers gave you the tool and you used it. Don't ever feel bad about winning in a game because of some weird, unspoken, groupthink rules about how you can and cannot beat a game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I never play through Assault on the Control Room straight. I always use Banshee skip or Shade skip, fucking cavernous snoozefest of a level.

Also, I cheese Maneater number one because that fight is trash and a half, even by From standards.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Cheesing is fine if you don't enjoy the segment, but sometimes it negates the intended challenge to where you might have missed out on an experience you'll now never have.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should only feel bad about cheesing if you want to. Your experience with a game is yours to dictate, and if you think you'd find it more fulfilling to be challenged then maybe go back and try again. If not, easy breezy, who cares! Just enjoy yourself.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never feel bad about it. If the devs truly don't want it there they'll patch it out.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Rufus' Assess mentions that using a certain move on him (Cross Slash) will cause him massive damage/stagger, so, I wouldn't feel too bad on that one, the game tells you about it

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Dude, fuggetabouit, "cheesing" is not a bad strategy; even though it feels cheap. The computer always cheats anyway, so why not exploit it's flaws?

Oct 28, 2017
"Winning is winning, doesn't matter if it's by a inch or a mile"
lol of course not who cares I beat dark souls 3 by summoning npcs and running from boss to boss. I'll still tell people I beat dark souls 3 to see them squirm

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
If a game allows you to do it, even unintentionally, I don't see the harm. Sometimes it's really fun to see an otherwise tough enemy die laughably fast.

Especially when it's a really fun cheese method. Phoenix Down -> Death on that one boss in FFX is a good example

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
In doom eternal there is a chance for sort of common glitch to happen with the double doom hunter boss fight. One of them gets stuck in this spot. I won when it happened.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Never feel bad, OP. Ever.

Also see "there's no such thing as a fair fight" and "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying".

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
With Rufus they seem to have made it intentionally hard to hit/stagger him compared to like every other boss in the game, so I think being able to win after one limit break or so is intentional. If not they would've gave him more health/defense and extended the fight.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
What do people even consider cheese these days? For the souls/BB/sekiro games they were calling certain op spells, weapons or abilities cheese because they trivialize certain bosses but that's always seemed wrong to me. You're literally just using an ability as intended. Weirdos still called it cheese.

So in the end I concluded that kind of "cheese" does not matter. As long as you're not bugging/glitching something (imo "actual" cheese) you're just using a strat as intended. To hell with everything else.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
In Sekiro, I couldn't beat the demon of hatred after 50+ tries so I went to YouTube and found a cheesing method where you lure him off the cliff and he kills himself. I felt bad about it but I couldn't stand facing him anymore and wanted to be done with the game. Do I need to go back and Git gud?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
One trick with Rufus is he won't interrupt you if you cast magic before attacking.

It's a stupid battle because it forces a totally unfamiliar approach to combat with no warning, but at least the idiot is predictable. Slap an ATB Block materia on Cloud, keep Barrier up, and Rufus is no problem.

In Sekiro, I couldn't beat the demon of hatred after 50+ tries so I went to YouTube and found a cheesing method where you lure him off the cliff and he kills himself. I felt bad about it but I couldn't stand facing him anymore and wanted to be done with the game. Do I need to go back and Git gud?
I did this and I still feel great satisfaction at the memory, lol.