• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Cars are a pretty significant living expense, if you don't need one to live your daily life then that's fine.

With that being said, it might be good to learn and get your license because you never know when you might eventually need one.
Came to say this, don't be ashamed at all but having a license can be really useful in a lot of situations. I currently work with a large number of international staff and me being able to drive is a big help to them. It also opens up a lot of job prospects.

Oct 28, 2017
You should definitely move fast to get your license. The more you put it off, the less likely it will be that you ever get it.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
No. I never had the chance to do it due to doing work study in HS my junior and senior year. It is also expensive to do adult learning classes.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am 22 and also have no license. Live in a city so I have no plans to get one, unless I end up moving to the suburbs or somewhere too far to bus to work.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I had to have a license to get anywhere, so I got mine at 15.

Nothing to be ashamed of though, especially if you live somewhere that it's not needed.

I will never understand how anyone fails the test though. Did it on my first try at 15. My sister failed it 6 times between 16 and 21. Gave up and didn't get one till 32.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Of course not. Relying on public transportation / Uber or Lyft / rides from friends is perfectly legit. And financially responsible, depending on your transportation needs.

Why spend loads of money on a vehicle, gas, and insurance unless the benefit to your lifestyle justifies the cost?

You might want to consider getting a license if you'd be able to frequently borrow a vehicle from your family.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
No shame but you should get it eventually. You never know if you'll need one eventually. It's a basic survival skill, like cooking an egg. You may not be able to make a suffle but you wont starve.

More importantly, which I dont think anyone has mentioned yet, is that practice makes perfect. Getting a license at 30 means losing some 10 years of training. Do you really want to face your first highway exit at high speeds during rain/snow at the ripe old age of 30?

I've had by license since 17 but truly drove by myself on the first year of college. I've done everything from I 95 at peak hours to flooded streets to mountains and cliffs. I'm not sure I'd want to learn to navigate all that for the first time when nearing middle age.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I will never understand how anyone fails the test though. Did it on my first try at 15. My sister failed it 6 times between 16 and 21. Gave up and didn't get one till 32.

There's always one prick tester who goes out of their way to fail everyone they can.

Anywho, I would try to get it soon OP. I wouldn't be ashamed or anything, but you'll probably need one for work reasons sooner or later.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am 21 and still didnt get it yet too

That said here in Brazil you have to be 18yo to get your drivers license

I am waiting until next year when college finally is over so I can start thinking the classes, I literally dont have time this year

Most of my friends did it on their 3rd year of college, I should have made it too but fuck it I dont even have a car

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get it while you're young, you don't want to later on have a family or be in a relationship and not have one, it's a major pain in the ass.

21 is ok, just don't be one of those people that puts it off until they're like 30+ unless you are dead set on never driving.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes if you don't know how to drive . No if it's just a a getting certified thing . You should know how to drive . It's so easy nowadays with automatics (I'm old school think you should know manuals also as that's the harder part about driving but they're getting less common now )

But no learn to drive . There no hurry in getting a license or car if you don't need to but you should be able to once you hit a certain age .

Of course this may change in 20-30 years with self driving cars but for now yes.

This used to be a basic adult life skill but nowadays not so much so that's where your mom is coming from .

Ppl who haven't learnt how to swim however are a different matter . I can never understand that

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Depends on if you need one or not. Just make sure you aren't putting other people out and relying on others to drive you around. My brother still does this, puts my parents out to take him everywhere.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get my license until my thirties. It's fine. Driving can make things easier but if you can get around without it, what's the problem?

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I got mine in my teens but now that I live in Toronto it's useless to me. If you live in a large city with good public transit you don't really need one.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hell no OP, I'm 34 and my DL is expired since I have no reason nor desire to drive. Helps that public transit is amazing though... God I hate driving...

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Owning a car for me feels like nothing but a huge money hole. I hate driving, but you can't live in this city without one so it's a must.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could drive a car when I was 14. I got my learner's at 18 and due to health issues and studies I forgot to get an actual license for a decade lol so it doesn't matter really.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Nope. I got mine at 21, after spending two and a half years taking driving lessons (over 100 hours of driving, plus I failed the test three times before that).

Haven't driven since then and I'm 25 now. I'm scared I'm not a good enough driver to actually go places, even after all of that I never got the confidence that I was actually good enough to drive. I would actually save a good deal of money if I drove but I don't. Luckily it's not a big deal since I live with my parents so I don't have too many expenses, plus my job pays for my rideshares sometimes. I'm hoping that I'm going to get a job soon that has a really easy bus route from my house which would help a lot (fingers crossed).

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason to get a license if you don't need to drive is if it makes your insurance cheaper from being licensed longer. I've seen rates as much as $3500 a year for a 10 year old car for someone that just got their license. After 6 years and no accidents/moving violations, it would be less than $1k for a similarly aged car. The best part is it'll go down even if you didn' have insurance in that time frame.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't hurt to get one unless you have really good public transportation where you live. Nothing to be ashamed of though. My cousin didn't get her license until she was in her 30's.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I would get your License anyways just in case if you do need it in an emergency and your insurance will go down if you are registered longer.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
A licence is convenient, but not strictly necessary. I've seen a lot of people get one just for having a permanent form of ID, but never actually drive.

The real question is if you should own a Car. And if you can avoid it, absolutely do not own a Car.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
No. I technically have a car as the main one my family used got totaled in a car accident and my father couldn't drive for a while (I needed something to help with building credit also, as I graduated with no student loans thankfully, so I couldn't do it the "normal" way).

My mother uses it, though, I have really bad anxiety and stress issues due to trauma from the accident, so I haven't wanted to even try going down that route of relearning and doing the test.

I live where buses and Uber's are easy to come by, so it hasn't been a necessary thing to pass the test.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to have a license to get anywhere, so I got mine at 15.

Nothing to be ashamed of though, especially if you live somewhere that it's not needed.

Driving isn't easy for everyone when they first start

What's there not to understand?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
No, I didn't get one until I hit 30. I had plenty of opportunities to get it and even got my permit on my 16th birthday I just was never feeling it. I almost got it at 24 but had to cancel my schedule for a family emergency and never rescheduled it.

I'm glad I got it now, it really is nice to have that kind of freedom instead of waiting on bus schedules and shit.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Driving isn't easy for everyone when they first start

What's there not to understand?

I suppose this makes sense if the first time you ever drive anything is your test. Between video games, gocarts, and dirtbikes..I had like 1000+ hours of experience at 15 🤣.

This is why I let my 11 year old daughter play Forza (which she loves) and I plan to get her and her sister a go-kart for Christmas. Have to get some practice in.

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose this makes sense if the first time you ever drive anything is your test. Between video games, gocarts, and dirtbikes..I had like 1000+ hours of experience at 15 🤣.

This is why I let my 11 year old daughter play Forza (which she loves) and I plan to get her and her sister a go-kart for Christmas. Have to get some practice in.
Sigh ...

Just work on thinking outside your own perspective more. My point makes sense regardless of anything.

Why would someones first time driving be when they take their test?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 27 and haven't gotten my license. I'm just going to allow myself to feel superior for bussing everywhere.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
37 and I still never got it, its a good thing. Theres enough cars around, why the fuck do I want that shit plus payments and insurance? No thank you, I'll ride my bike and take a Lyft when needed.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
No, you shouldn't be ashamed, but depending on where you live it can be nearly impossible to do much of anything (including work) without one.

I work a lot in NYC and I know quite a few people much older than you who never got theirs and it doesn't matter at all.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
No, but if you want to get one someday you should do it soon. Everyone I know who waited until their late 20s and beyond had a really hard time.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. I know some very mature people in their 30s who have had families and careers and still never a license. If you don't need it or particularly want it it's not a priority.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm 26 and have no intention of getting one, I dont need to drive and dont want to

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
As long as you don't constantly ask for lifts off of friends then I don't see the problem.