• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So I'm 21 in uni and currently don't have my license. I did HS in South Africa, where the driving age is 18 and I did a rigorous program called the IB, so I didn't really find the time to do it and I turned 18 January 3rd 2016. I then went to uni in the fall and aside from having lived on campus, I live really close to it and the grocery store, etc and usually take the bus or trains to get around. In Uni, I haven't really found the time since it is kinda costly and I focus a lot on my studies.However, my mom really gets on my case about not having my license, saying it's a sign that I'm immature or not responsible and that everyone at 21 has a drivers license. So I was wondering, should I be ashamed of not currently having my license?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Do you need one? Then I'd say no. Lots of folks here on Era live in cities with public transport and I'm sure they'll pop in to say similar.

I live in a relatively rural area where a car is a must. I kinda hate it tbh because of the costs and environmental impact.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the big deal if you don't need one right now. I would suggest getting one when you are getting close to being done with uni because once you are working you may need to drive or be farther away from store but then again if you live in a city and don't need it then it doesn't really matter. I got mine at 16 but I don't live in a big city and did not live on campus during college so I had no choice but to get it and drive if I ever wanted to leave my house. I don't look down on people that don't have it and don't need it.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, but as I said, my mom is really on my case about it and as I mentioned, gives me some grief over it

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cars are a pretty significant living expense, if you don't need one to live your daily life then that's fine.

With that being said, it might be good to learn and get your license because you never know when you might eventually need one.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
No. I don't have a license either. Can't afford one. If you don't need a car then it's not a problem OP.

Jul 3, 2019
I didn't get one until this year and I'm 29, nothing to be ashamed of my dude. Hell it's probably better since you're more equipped mentally to handle the stress of driving compared to a younger teenager.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I got mines at 25 (4 years after graduating uni). Nothing to be ashamed of. If you don't need it, no worries.

I had to get one to increase my job opportunities.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I didn't get my license till 20 and I would have probably waited longer if I didn't develop a need for it for work reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
My sister is 29 and doesn't have hers. We recently hosted some friends of my partner that are in their 30s and don't.

They all live in Toronto and don't feel the need. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares. Plenty of people that have no need for cars (live in cities, for example) don't bother getting them for a while

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I was 21 when I got mine. Spent more time driving with my Learner's Permit than I did with a license.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm 27 and my learners expired like 4 years ago.

Its only value to me is as an ID, I have no need for a car and not really eager to add the expense of owning one.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
21 living in NYC - I have no intention of getting a driver's license for quite a while.
But even if you live in an area where people get around frequently by driving, it's nothing to be ashamed of, lmao.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
This is really dependent on where you live. Where I am, I pretty much literally can't go anywhere unless I have a car. I got mine at 17. If you can get to the places you need to go without a car, well there's too many cars on the road as it is so I'd say you're doing the world a favor.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm 30 and I still don't have mine. I mostly bus or cab everywhere, and it ends up being much cheaper than a car would be. Gas, insurance, maintenance, the car itself, just doesn't seem worth it.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 32, have never required a car thanks to train/bus commuting or being in walking distance of work. It's no longer as much of a sheer necessity in some areas these days, nor the rite of passage it used to be.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Not at all. I remember having an asshole driving instructor bring up that he thought anyone he'd teach who was over 22 without a license was "pathetic" (I was 19), but that was the exception to the rule. My brother (23) and plenty of people I know in their late 20's don't have licenses either and haven't gotten grief for it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, if anything it's better the older you are. Insurance is cheaper the older you are.

I was 25 before I even considered it. My grandmother passed her test at 70.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say though, for those of you saying you won't/don't need it because of insurance, fuel costs, vehicle costs etc. are being a bit ridiculous. Having a driver's license does not mean you need to go out and get all these things, it's just a very handy thing to have in general for emergencies, traveling, renting a car if need be etc...

Again OP, don't stress. But some of the reasoning in here is silly.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I only got it at 27 and my brother is 40 and still doesn't have one (and probably never will because he's too lazy to go pass the test 100m away from his home).

You're fine.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a car? If not, do you have the means to buy one? If the answer is no then it's a moot point

Oct 28, 2017
I'll take the other side and say that, with few exceptions, you should have a drivers' license in most US cities even if you don't own a car. You never know when you might need it.

I wouldn't say you should be ashamed. But you should probably get one.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to be ashamed of it, but I do think it's a good thing to know how to drive and to have one. Never know when you'll need to do something like be a designated driver, use someone else's car in an emergency, or so on.

It's a useful life skill, but hardly something to stress over not having one.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is your mom on your case because you are constantly asking her or other friends for rides? I mean if you not having a license is actively causing other people to be inconvenienced then maybe it'd be appropriate to feel bad. But if you are self sufficient and she is only on your case because of some sort of perceicved stigma around not having it, then no, nothing to feel bad about.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly not a big deal if you have other means of transport or just don't need it at all.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I only got mine at 35, even then only because my work made me and paid for it. There's no shame in it.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, not really. Especially if there is no need for one.

One of my good friends is 23. Doesn't have his license and got married two weeks ago lol.

But still, wouldn't hurt to get it for another form of ID and if something happens to a family member or friend, you can drive and/ or pick them up

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
No, if you don't need it then don't feel bad

i'm 31 and never got my liscence, i tried when i was 28 but hated it, failed the exam 3 times

some people mocked me for it but i don't care, it's not for me and i don't need it