• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm prepping my setup for next gen, and wanted some clarification on whether I'll receive the full benefits of the new consoles plugging them to my TV or my Home Theater Receiver.

My TV is an LG CX, purchased just a few months ago: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6401850.p?skuId=6401850

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V385BL, which I got back in 2018: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha...heater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

Before people say I should always plug directly to the TV, keep in mind I already have a bunch of devices taking up the HDMI slots (including the receiver itself), so the purpose of this thread is to figure out what needs to be directly plugged to the TV to get the full range of picture features vs plugging it to the receiver without any loss in quality or performance.

That's pretty much it: it's hard keeping up with all the fancy new features the new consoles are said to have, so I just wanted to know what I would potentially lose having the PS5 or XSX plugged to that receiver vs directly to the TV.

Also, as far as audio goes, for the majority of the time I'll be playing the games with headphones, so surround sound quality is currently not a factor.

And if there are any recommended HDMI switches that I can also plug some devices to without a loss in quality, I wouldn't mind learning about them as well.

OddSock

Oct 27, 2017
South Africa
You'll lose all of the benefits of HDMI 2.1 plugging the new consoles into your receiver. Variable refresh rate, 120hz, auto low latency plus things like Dolby vision (in the case of the xsx). If surround isn't a factor, then forget your receiver exists.

Plug your receiver in to the arc port, PS5 and xsx into the TV, and everything else can be plugged into your receiver.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If you're using headphones most of the time, you only lose benefits of your display for running it through the receiver.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plug it into the TV and then utilize the Hdmi Arc on your TV and receiver. This way you will at least get 5.1 Dolby. Do not plug it into the receiver, this will make you lose all the Hdmi 2.1 features.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There aren't any cheap hdmi 2.1 switches both consoles should go to the tv.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have mine in the TV and have my receiver on HDMI ARC so that everything connected to the tv goes via the receiver

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'll lose all of the benefits of HDMI 2.1 plugging the new consoles into your receiver. Variable refresh rate, 120hz, auto low latency plus things like Dolby vision (in the case of the xsx). If surround isn't a factor, then forget your receiver exists.

Plug your receiver in to the arc port, PS5 and xsx into the TV, and everything else can be plugged into your receiver.

Thanks, that makes things clearer.

I've tried to get ARC working in the past but could never seem to get it working. That's why I've stuck with optical.

Is there a handy guide to get ARC working on this TV and receiver combo?

I also have an Apple TV (latest model), should that also remain plugged to the TV?

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you'll definitely want to connect both of them to your TV or you'll lose VRR & other benefits of HDMI 2.1 as others have pointed out

I also have an Apple TV (latest model), should that also remain plugged to the TV?

the current ATV 4k doesn't use HDMI 2.1 IIRC, the new rumored models might though

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks, that makes things clearer.

I've tried to get ARC working in the past but could never seem to get it working. That's why I've stuck with optical.

Is there a handy guide to get ARC working on this TV and receiver combo?

seems like that receiver doesn't support arc.

it supports it.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
To the TV, no contest.

You'll lose VRR, 4k 120hz support. basically all the reasons that you want such a TV for a next gen machine

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
According to Yamaha's website it has eARC so you'll lose almost nothing connecting direct to the TV

on LG the arc channel goes through HDMI2 so you connect your receivers HDMI out to that input. Then connect Xbox/ps5 to other HDMI inputs. You may need to enable them as 'full' HDMI in the TV settings

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So someone explain things to me like I'm a toddler . So I have to plug the PS5 into the tv directly to get the 2.1 features? I won't be able to take advantage of my Dolby Atmos system while playing games?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
So someone explain things to me like I'm a toddler . So I have to plug the PS5 into the tv directly to get the 2.1 features? I won't be able to take advantage of my Dolby Atmos system while playing games?

You are limited by the lowest thing in your chain. To take advantage of 2.1, your source, destination, and everything in between (cables, receiver, other) needs to supoort 2.1.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Until AVRs start sporting HDMI 2.1 ports, you're gonna have to plug in next-gen consoles directly to your TV to keep the 2.1 benefits (4K120 etc).

If your AVR doesn't support eARC, you'll lose out on fully uncompressed audio though. Regular ARC is a garbage spec.

Yun

Oct 27, 2017
Yup the oleds (and arc in general) is super flaky. Once it worked here then for no reason stopped on its own and never was able to get it back to work. Sigh tried everything for weeks (literally)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You are limited by the lowest thing in your chain. To take advantage of 2.1, your source, destination, and everything in between (cables, receiver, other) needs to supoort 2.1.
Sigh, I'm so not looking forward to that mess. Will keep my "old" TV and receiver a few more years until everything has stabilized. I hear that some TVs and AVRs only have one HDMI 2.1 port, which would mean swapping cables for multi-console gamers :s

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

You need a receiver that has HDMI 2.1 ports on it in order for an HDMI 2.1 signal to get passed through to your TV. Without it, the best thing you can do is go through your TV and use ARC or eARC to pass the audio from your TV to your receiver if you want to use HDMI 2.1 features on your TV. The problem with ARC is it's not lossless sound.

All of this is the reason I've held off upgrading because my AV Receiver would need to be replaced for my whole setup to function and the selection of HDMI 2.1 receivers is currently abysmal. Hopefully that gets rectified in 2021.

Sigh, I'm so not looking forward to that mess. Will keep my "old" TV and receiver a few more years until everything has stabilized. I hear that some TVs and AVRs only have one HDMI 2.1 port, which would mean swapping cables for multi-console gamers :s

Yep there are only two(?) receiver lines out there right now that have HDMI 2.1. Denon only has one port while Yamaha claims to have all ports but it needs a firmware update that doesn't exist yet. Neither is ideal IMO.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Really wish they would de-couple video switching from audio in receivers so that they could be upgraded independently.

While I know eARC is an option, im not too excited about running a ton of wires to a wall mounted TV. I'll likely live without some of the benefits of HDMI 2.1 until there is a suitable receiver.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yep there are only two(?) receiver lines out there right now that have HDMI 2.1. Denon only has one port while Yamaha claims to have all ports but it needs a firmware update that doesn't exist yet. Neither is ideal IMO.
Okay that's even worse than I thought.
And I'm guessing Denon having only one HDMI 2.1 port means that the same goes for Marantz? I have the Marantz SR6012, wouldn't even for a second consider replacing it if it wasn't for HDMI 2.1 features, it's still an amazing AVR.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Very few receivers have 2.1, but more should arrive in 2021 I assume. When it comes to TVs, the high-end Samsung 2020 TVs have only one HDMI 2.1 input. However, the LG C9/B9/E9 (2019) and the LG CX/BX/GX (2020) have four HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish they would de-couple video switching from audio in receivers so that they could be upgraded independently.

While I know eARC is an option, im not too excited about running a ton of wires to a wall mounted TV. I'll likely live without some of the benefits of HDMI 2.1 until there is a suitable receiver.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you want, but I don't see how they really can. The whole point of HDMI was to unify everything to one cable to simplify things. ARC/eARC is really the only alternative if you want to have any type of separation but even then it requires both ends to have the same ARC or eARC compatibility. Otherwise, I don't know how you're going to decouple it without splitting the video and audio into separate cables which would be even messier from a cable standpoint.

Okay that's even worse than I thought.
And I'm guessing Denon having only one HDMI 2.1 port means that the same goes for Marantz? I have the Marantz SR6012, wouldn't even for a second consider replacing it if it wasn't for HDMI 2.1 features, it's still an amazing AVR.

Oh ya, I forgot about Marantz. Ya, it would apply to them too. I hear you though on not needing to replace it if it wasn't for HDMI 2.1 or other HDMI features. I have a Pioneer Elite SC-07 and it's a really good receiver and the only reason I'm planning to replace it is to gain all the 4K/HDR pass through and HDMI 2.1 features. Otherwise, it's still a really good receiver on its own in performance.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you want, but I don't see how they really can. The whole point of HDMI was to unify everything to one cable to simplify things. ARC/eARC is really the only alternative if you want to have any type of separation but even then it requires both ends to have the same ARC or eARC compatibility. Otherwise, I don't know how you're going to decouple it without splitting the video and audio into separate cables which would be even messier from a cable standpoint.

I just mean itd be nice if video switching andaudio amplification were in different boxes. That way when a new standard comes out you only need to update the appropriate piece. It seems silly to spend a ton on a receiver for audio quality reasons only for the video part to go out of date.

Im thinking devices go into 'source' switch, output of switch goes to TV and a box that provides audio processing/amplification.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I just mean itd be nice if video switching andaudio amplification were in different boxes. That way when a new standard comes out you only need to update the appropriate piece. It seems silly to spend a ton on a receiver for audio quality reasons only for the video part to go out of date.

Im thinking devices go into 'source' switch, output of switch goes to TV and a box that provides audio processing/amplification.

There are some that let you do this. NAD receivers have blades essentially that you can swap in and out with new ones. So if a new hdmi spec comes out you can swap in a new hdmi card. New audio codecs, well swap the audio module.

That said I've never upgraded my cards and now that I want to for 2.1. I just kinda want a new one anyways for all the extras.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
There are some that let you do this. NAD receivers have blades essentially that you can swap in and out with new ones. So if a new hdmi spec comes out you can swap in a new hdmi card. New audio codecs, well swap the audio module.

That said I've never upgraded my cards and now that I want to for 2.1. I just kinda want a new one anyways for all the extras.

That's actually pretty cool, never heard of something like that.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
Was in a similar position and because my receiver doesn't support arc I just ran the optical out from the LG to the receiver and it sounds okay to me.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
So I just got an LG CX also.... I have an older AV receiver with ARC. I have set it up with the HDMI Arc going from TV to AV receiver ARC

I then have the following going into AV receiver:

Nvidia Shield TV
Virgin Box
Switch

Currently when I try and watch YouTube from the CX itself, I have no sound, why is this?

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I'm not a very tech guy.. and right now I have my PS4 plugged into my TV one connect box and my receiver is plugged into my one connect box (Samsung) as well.

I get 5.1 channel sound on all the HDMI's, someone that is tech minded, is that ok of a setup for next gen? (if I disconnect my PS4 and just plug in PS5 the same way) (HDMI from PS5 to One connect box, optical cable from receiver to one connect box) am I even getting real 5.1 channel sound this way? I have PS4 set to Dolby Digital via HDMI in PS4 sound settings.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You need to plug it into the TV to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 features.

However, ARC will make you lose out on high quality audio, and I don't think your receiver supports eARC. You'll be limited to crappy lossy 5.1 DD / DTS or 2.0 uncompressed.

So you need a Sharc to send high definition lossless audio from the TV to the receiver over the eARC channel.

www.thenaudio.com

Mar 27, 2018
Assuming you have a decent 5.1 / 7.1 system, you pretty much never need to upgrade again. It's officially good enough. But you've got a brand new, 4K HDR VRR television and a next gen console that needs max bandwidth. One possible (expensive) solution is the SHARC EARC Processor. https://thenaudio.com/elements/pages/fIt

Although it makes the cabling a mess

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
This suggests his receiver has 4x HDMI 2.1 ports, so he should be fine going through the receiver?

i don't think that's true.
It does have eARC But it doesnt have HDMI2.1 features like 4K 120hz, VRR, QMS etc.

i'm thinking of getting the Yamaha RX-V6A, which will be the first amp to have multiple HDMI2.1 inputs (I think 3 inputs out of the 7). There is a new Denon line of receivers but they only have 1 HDMI 2.1 input.

overview_01_v6a_dc6492c1d8003d5f58f613ecd5b45cd7.jpg

usa.yamaha.com

Specs: RX-V6A 7.2 channel 4K / 8K AV Receiver – Yamaha USA

The Highest Resolution. This 7.2-channel, 100 Watt AV receiver boldly explores entertainment possibilities for an advanced home theater with the latest in video and audio, including Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, DTS:X, wireless streaming and more.

www.forbes.com

Yamaha Unveils Two New 8K AV Receivers With A Host Of Advanced Features

Two new AV receivers from Yamaha promise unparalleled 8K support as well as host of gaming features and support for Dolby Atmos in the flagship model.

i haven't been able to find any reviews of the Yamaha RX-V6A though. Anyone seen any?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got an LG CX also.... I have an older AV receiver with ARC. I have set it up with the HDMI Arc going from TV to AV receiver ARC

I then have the following going into AV receiver:

Nvidia Shield TV
Virgin Box
Switch

Currently when I try and watch YouTube from the CX itself, I have no sound, why is this?

check the TV is setting itself to ARC in the sound output, and the receiver is connected to the same one (and any setting In your receiver for arc)

also try a different all because sometimes youtube on my c9 plays video but has the sound from the previous source

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
If your TV has Dolby Digital 5.1 pass through, which I am 99% sure it does, you can plug the consoles into your TV and then optical from TV to receiver.