• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should I buy the can of octopus?

• Buy can of octopus

Votes: 175 60.8%
  • Don't buy can of octopus

Votes: 113 39.2%

• Total voters

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Once upon a dream I was perusing an isle at Safeway for some SPAM when I chanced upon a can of octopus! (it was situated right near the SPAM, which is really what I was after, you see) I was surprised to find this treasure but I reasoned that people are canning everything these days so it really wasn't all that unusual after all. The packaging was very attractive, decorated with little red tentacles on the front, but my last incursion with Cephalopoda (frozen breaded calamari, to be specific!) left me despondent. In the end I walked away empty handed (to my dismay, they were also out of SPAM. I chalked it up to COVID-19 related food rationing but also cautioned myself against making a definitive assumption one way or the other). On the way home, I kicked myself for not taking the plunge and ever since then, my mind has been consumed by this can of octopus! What must the flavor be like? Is it rubbery or soft? How many tentacles are in each can? I googled all of these questions but found no answers. So I'm thinking that I should buy this can of octopus to find out for myself!

But I have an eerie feeling so I thought I would ask for feedback.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You've not had octopus? It's good, but you should probably look up some recipes and not just eat it right out of the can.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I miss good buffets. Long before the pandemic, and before the three Chinese buffets whittled down to just one, one of the better ones occasionally had spicy little baby octopi as one of the dishes on the cold/salad bar. They were quite tasty, even though I felt bad about eating baby animals.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Only if you turn the can upside down and plop the contents directly into your throat, film it, and post the video here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You should have checked the freezer, OP, they keep that vile SPAM shit in there too nowadays.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
There's little cans of octopus chunks in ink-based sauce over at Market Basket here. I assume it must be common.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
CharmingUnnaturalAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I miss good buffets. Long before the pandemic, and before the three Chinese buffets whittled down to just one, one of the better ones occasionally had spicy little baby octopi as one of the dishes on the cold/salad bar. They were quite tasty, even though I felt bad about eating baby animals.
I never felt bad about eating baby animals, they usually taste better than the adults and it would be almost impossible to roast an entire adult pig.

2bafff1c-7bb4-45aa-bw1k95.jpeg

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
If you are ok with SPAM, you're probably down to eat anything so have at it.

Personally I'd rather buy it from a fish market and grill some with lemon and garlic.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I lived underwater chances are an octopus would be my pet, so I can't eat them anymore. Even grilled, the only flavor is the flavor of burning. I'll get that flavor from other grilled stuff.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eating them is probably our only hope of preventing octopuses from challenging our dominion of the seas.

They are just too smart to be left to their own devices.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to take a moment to respond to all of my friends

Why not just go to an Asian market and buy them instead?

I live in a small place and do not have access to special markets like the one you describe.

You've not had octopus?

No, can you believe it?

It's flavorless unless you know how to cook it

imo

Please tell me how to cook it!

Only if you turn the can upside down and plop the contents directly into your throat, film it, and post the video here.

I believe it is coated in an oil so I think that would be quite messy!

You should have checked the freezer, OP, they keep that vile SPAM shit in there too nowadays.

As you might have gathered, I wasn't on the lookout for octopus - I happened upon some while searching for SPAM - so that's why I didn't go into the frozen section. (SPAM isn't found there to my knowledge!)

There's little cans of octopus chunks in ink-based sauce over at Market Basket here. I assume it must be common.

These ones are coated in an oil. I wonder which is more common, do you think?

If you are ok with SPAM, you're probably down to eat anything so have at it.

Personally I'd rather buy it from a fish market and grill some with lemon and garlic.

I've never been to (or even seen) a fish market before but I would very much like to explore one someday!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As you might have gathered, I wasn't on the lookout for octopus - I happened upon some while searching for SPAM - so that's why I didn't go into the frozen section. (SPAM isn't found there to my knowledge!)
Nope, as my comment says, they sell that vial SPAM shit in the freezer these days.

Check your local Iceland, for your sins.

Oct 25, 2017
Canned octopus is very common wherever latino food is sold. I used to eat it straight out of the can all the time. I'm mostly plant-based so I miss it a lot.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Hello friends! I have an exciting update! But first, the bad news. My can of octopus thread didn't go viral like I anticipated. I am not so proud that I can't admit my disappointment, but at the same time I'm just thankful to have as many responses as I did!

Anyway, onto the good news! In accordance with the most popular poll choice, I went ahead and bought the can of octopus!

20210131-193946.jpg

I will open and prepare it the coming days! Please look forward to it! šŸ™

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I don't think I've ever seen a can of octopus (then again never looked). Plenty of fresh octopus to be had at the store down the street though āœØšŸ™. It is delicious unless you get a rubbery one.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
How's the salt content according to the can? Last canned octopus I tried, the saltiness was overwhelming. Oh, just noticed it's in olive oil, so you are in the clear I think.

I would recommend buying some octopus-based dish from a local restaurant. Squid will do, if no one serves octopus around you