• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I buy the can of octopus?

• Buy can of octopus

Votes: 175 60.8%
  • Don't buy can of octopus

Votes: 113 39.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I have finally mustered up the courage to open the can of octopus!

20210207-175513.jpg

My first impression is unfortunately one of disappointment. It turns out that the picture on the box was a fabrication - they alluded to the can having at least 50% octopus tentacles inside but as you can plainly see, there isn't a single one! The can is entirely comprised of nondescript chunks of octopus meat. This isn't what I was promised.

Anyway, I will now describe the smell for you: mildly pungent seafood smell, not dissimilar to canned sardines! (a treat when paired with a slice of avocado and some lemon juice) The canned octopus smell isn't as strong as the canned sardine smell, however.

One aspect that the packaging relayed beautifully: the color of the canned octopus! It is indeed that purple in real life. Stunning.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I know you haven't confirmed the taste yet and the food may indeed be shady but I am such a seafood-aholic that your open can image already got my traitorous mouth watering...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Now you have to eat it as you have unleashed that eldritch horror

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

20210207-175513.jpg

My first impression is unfortunately one of disappointment. It turns out that the picture on the box was a fabrication - they alluded to the can having at least 50% octopus tentacles inside but as you can plainly see, there isn't a single one! The can is entirely comprised of nondescript chunks of octopus meat. This isn't what I was promised.

Anyway, I will now describe the smell for you: mildly pungent seafood smell, not dissimilar to canned sardines! (a treat when paired with a slice of avocado and some lemon juice) The canned octopus smell isn't as strong as the canned sardine smell, however.

One aspect that the packaging relayed beautifully: the color of the canned octopus! It is indeed that purple in real life. Stunning.

tenor.gif

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017

20210207-175513.jpg

Godspeed.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I have decided to prepare the can of octopus using this recipe from Maangchi as my inspiration.

Modifications will be made, by necessity!

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I don't know that I could eat that one OP if I'm being honest but I used to eat octopus salad as a kid and I remember it being delicious, would love to try again one day.
octopus-salad-horiz-a-1800.jpg

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017

20210207-175513.jpg

That looks nothing like the kind of octopus I've had all my life lol.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
In some countries they sell squid preserved in its own ink.
3d-calamares-tinta-olbwkro.png

The perfect snack for your next Splatoon tournament.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I have tasted the octopus meat! The first thing that struck me was the texture - it was very meaty and not rubbery or soft at all! I expected rubbery due to my calamitous affair with the breaded calamari rings that fateful day, but this felt like I was eating what I image steak to be like.

The taste was mellow and not particularly vibrant. I tasted mainly the spices (ground Thai chili peppers being my spice of choice for this particular excursion) and only detected a hint of seafood flavor in there. I guess if I had to say, I would tell you that it tasted like octopus! There is really no other way to describe it. It certainly didn't taste like any fish I ever had before!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Octopus is only rubbery if done too much OP. Otherwise, octopus has a very soft taste. You should try making it with a bit of smoked paprika and olive oil (pulpo o feira) next time.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I felt a sudden urge to wake up at 2:30 AM, and I can only imagine it to have been that subtle pull of fate drawing me back to this tale. I'm glad to hear you liked this new culinary experience, OP! I'll admit I was a bit afraid you would overcook it and be scared off by the resulting rubberines, but it looks like my fears were all for nothing.

As I sit here, with my midnight supper of crackers with brie and fig jam*, I feel pride. May we all have our palates expanded so. Amen.

(*a fantastic snack, for anyone reading this. a small $7 jar of jam with a barely-melted $4 slice of brie will carry you to a surprising amount of servings. choice of crackers is of utmost import in this.)

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Canned stuff pales in comparison to the real deal. I'm glad it was edible, but it's not the way octopus is meant to be eaten, at all.

Ideally you would buy the octopus and cook until tender- can take a couple hours. From there it's best charred on the grill/open flame and brushed with some sort of marinade/sauce.

recipe0915-xl-grilled-octopus-with-ancho-chile-sauce-2000.jpg

Youre right about how mild it is though. Even fresh octopus like this feels closer to meat than seafood when done right.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Canned stuff pales in comparison to the real deal. I'm glad it was edible, but it's not the way octopus is meant to be eaten, at all.

Ideally you would buy the octopus and cook until tender- can take a couple hours. From there it's best charred on the grill/open flame and brushed with some sort of marinade/sauce.

recipe0915-xl-grilled-octopus-with-ancho-chile-sauce-2000.jpg

Youre right about how mild it is though. Even fresh octopus like this feels closer to meat than seafood when done right.
Damn, that looks good.
IIRC in Galicia to soften the meat, they pound it out on the rocks and/or freeze it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The picture of the opened can is going to give me nightmares