• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I buy the can of octopus?

• Buy can of octopus

Votes: 175 60.8%
  • Don't buy can of octopus

Votes: 113 39.2%

• Total voters

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
My feelings......I have them.

giphy.gif

I feel like we need an official companion podcast to this thread followed by a live phone in where we can decompress all our emotions on this topic.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canned stuff pales in comparison to the real deal. I'm glad it was edible, but it's not the way octopus is meant to be eaten, at all.

Ideally you would buy the octopus and cook until tender- can take a couple hours. From there it's best charred on the grill/open flame and brushed with some sort of marinade/sauce.

recipe0915-xl-grilled-octopus-with-ancho-chile-sauce-2000.jpg

Youre right about how mild it is though. Even fresh octopus like this feels closer to meat than seafood when done right.
Grilled octopus is absolutely incredible if done right. There's a tapas place I go to a few times a year because they make some of the best I've ever had. I've had to convince some people I've taken to try it and most come away loving it.

Also, I think I've tried some Portuguese stewed octopus that comes in a similar tin to the one in the OP. I wish I knew what it was exactly but I'd try it again in a heartbeat it was so good. It had a really thick, savoury sauce with it, nice and smoky.

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped eating octopus after watching that movie My Octopus Teacher where the dude dives every day and slowly befriends one.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Wholesome and enjoyable thread. Next time try takoyaki OP, definitely worth it

That looks amazing! I will try to fish around for the ingredients and make it in the near future!

You should try making it with a bit of smoked paprika and olive oil (pulpo o feira) next time.

Oh that sounds so good!

Octopus marinated in vinegar is goddamn delicious

I like to drink vinegar so I think I would very much like octopus in vinegar as well!

I felt a sudden urge to wake up at 2:30 AM, and I can only imagine it to have been that subtle pull of fate drawing me back to this tale. I'm glad to hear you liked this new culinary experience, OP! I'll admit I was a bit afraid you would overcook it and be scared off by the resulting rubberines, but it looks like my fears were all for nothing.

As I sit here, with my midnight supper of crackers with brie and fig jam*, I feel pride. May we all have our palates expanded so. Amen.

(*a fantastic snack, for anyone reading this. a small $7 jar of jam with a barely-melted $4 slice of brie will carry you to a surprising amount of servings. choice of crackers is of utmost import in this.)

I only left it in the pan long enough to warm it through because I assumed it was already cooked, being canned and all, so you will be relieved to know that there was very little chance of it turning rubbery!

I never got to try fig jam. I bet it's just like the inside of Fig Newtons!

I will!

Canned stuff pales in comparison to the real deal. I'm glad it was edible, but it's not the way octopus is meant to be eaten, at all.

Ideally you would buy the octopus and cook until tender- can take a couple hours. From there it's best charred on the grill/open flame and brushed with some sort of marinade/sauce.

recipe0915-xl-grilled-octopus-with-ancho-chile-sauce-2000.jpg

What an attractive looking specimen. Did you make that yourself?

This is a cute thread, thank you RatskyWatsky !

🌞

Using this thread as an excuse to post this cool old octopus in a can I saw in a museum in Tokyo last year.

CkQO0Yf.jpg

What a neat can! Hello octopus, will you be my brother? :D

The picture of the opened can is going to give me nightmares

MXVwrH2.png

I read that just like shrimp turn flamingos pink, if you eat enough octopus you get octocamoflaugue. Also super intelligence.

I firmly believe this!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh RatskyWatsky R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

asdf'wetadf Flousn qwertyag'ag'adg !

Good dish idea. Now I want some sardines, though...

Burning question is, will you be buying more of the Octopus bits?

I was going to cook the can of octopus last week but I was hungry for sardines so that's what I ate instead!

I just might - I want to attempt some of the other recipes suggested here in this very thread!

The only kind of steak I've ever eaten was hamburger steak but from what I understand, it is merely imitation steak!

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I am not a vegetarian. I like mean but this thread makes me remember that we are eating other creatures.

I turned the can of octopus into...takoyaki pancakes?!
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Hello friends! How have you been? As for me, I am back with an exciting update!

I have decided to make another dish using the can of octopus!

This time I looked to this very thread for inspiration! PogChamp suggested Takoyaki, but unfortunately I wasn't able to wrangle all of the ingredients and I didn't want to buy a takoyaki pan, a single use kitchen tool, for just a one time recipe (how extravagant that would be!). So I decided to attempt a version of takoyaki using ingredients that I could find (most of them, it turns out!) and in a different shape. At first I thought I could make a sort of meatball out of it, but the batter turned out to be too watery so I opted for pancakes instead.

This is what happened:

First, the recipe I was using as a guideline told me that I needed to buy pickled ginger for the takoyaki. I couldn't find this anywhere, but I searched on the internet and discovered a recipe to make it from scratch! All you needed to do was cut the ginger up into stripes, give them a bath in hot water, towel them off, and soak them in ume plum vinegar.

NQxbxWK.png

Next up, I needed to get some Tenkasu. I didn't know what that is but I recognized the crispy bits - I've seen them before at the bottom of the pan when I cooked something deep fried! I didn't have any leftover from the last time I deep fried something, so I had to make some just for this project.

I did this by getting some panko and mixing it with egg and a little salt. Then I crumbled it up and dry fried it in a tiny bit of garlic oil.

cD99AGX.png

They turned out very crispy! The pieces might look big but they were not.

Now was the time to open up the can of octopus. I had two cans of octopus to open this time and I steeled myself against the possibility of there being no tentacles. I still smarted from the last time when there were none, you see.

sY8cB0t.png

To my great surprise, however, both cans of octopus contained several tentacles each! My dream came true!

All chopped

Egg406R.png

Here is the baby tentacle

RvqwJ6n.png

Now I needed to chop the green onions up into pieces

w4RvQ3v.png

I decided to cut the pickled ginger up too

8Qf0xvc.png

Then all I needed to do was make the batter. I couldn't find any takoyaki flour but from pictures I've seen, takoyaki look fluffy so I thought I could use pancake mix as a substitute! This kind of mix is very good at making things fluffy so I knew it would be perfect.

The box of pancake mix said "use milk" but the recipe for the takoyaki said to use dashi broth, so I decided to try and make some of that myself. I didn't have kombu seaweed, but I had a nori snack pack so I used that instead. I soaked the nori snacks in water and boiled it for a bit. Then I added some bonito flakes.

OzRb5wk.png

After some time, dashi was born!

agS9YG9.png

This is the pancake batter

R06GF8e.png

Once all mixed up, it was time to cook. I cooked each takoyaki pancake in garlic oil for some extra flavor. (Pancakes are usually cooked in butter but I felt that would be inappropriate this time.)

LdcDvr5.png

All done!

AA9Bb75.png

It wasn't until the takoyaki pancakes were done that I realized I didn't have any dressing for them! I frantically looked online and learned that this food is traditionally eaten with takoyaki sauce and Kewpie mayonnaise. I didn't know about takoyaki sauce and I don't like mayonnaise, so I opted for sriracha sauce instead. But first, I wanted to taste one plain.

I wasn't following a recipe, exactly, so I kind of just eyeballed all of the ingredients as I went. Unsurprisingly, this resulted in an uneven taste. (Next time: leave it to the professionals!) I think maybe it could have used a bit more pickled ginger but all in all it was pretty okay! I think I will eat the rest with sriracha sauce though!

I drew a tentacle for this guy.

5jD5PE3.png

Release the Kraken!

82OlgTM.png

They tasted better than before, so I was satisfied. But because these are pancakes, I decided to eat just one bite with maple syrup.

doq4qEz.png

Wow!

Then I put some sriracha sauce on the pancake and covered it in maple syrup

zWQPhEj.png

It tasted so good I couldn't believe it! The flavors complimented each other so well! Sweet and spicy; there's some umami too! All of the tastes were represented and married the takoyaki ingredients in a delightful ceremony in my mouth.

And they all lived happily ever after~ 🐙

Oct 26, 2017
Hello friends! How have you been? As for me, I am back with an exciting update!

I have decided to make another dish using the can of octopus!

This time I looked to this very thread for inspiration! PogChamp suggested Takoyaki, but unfortunately I wasn't able to wrangle all of the ingredients and I didn't want to buy a takoyaki pan, a single use kitchen tool, for just a one time recipe (how extravagant that would be!). So I decided to attempt a version of takoyaki using ingredients that I could find (most of them, it turns out!) and in a different shape. At first I thought I could make a sort of meatball out of it, but the batter turned out to be too watery so I opted for pancakes instead.

This is what happened:

First, the recipe I was using as a guideline told me that I needed to buy pickled ginger for the takoyaki. I couldn't find this anywhere, but I searched on the internet and discovered a recipe to make it from scratch! All you needed to do was cut the ginger up into stripes, give them a bath in hot water, towel them off, and soak them in ume plum vinegar.

NQxbxWK.png

Next up, I needed to get some Tenkasu. I didn't know what that is but I recognized the crispy bits - I've seen them before at the bottom of the pan when I cooked something deep fried! I didn't have any leftover from the last time I deep fried something, so I had to make some just for this project.

I did this by getting some panko and mixing it with egg and a little salt. Then I crumbled it up and dry fried it in a tiny bit of garlic oil.

cD99AGX.png

They turned out very crispy! The pieces might look big but they were not.

Now was the time to open up the can of octopus. I had two cans of octopus to open this time and I steeled myself against the possibility of there being no tentacles. I still smarted from the last time when there were none, you see.

sY8cB0t.png

To my great surprise, however, both cans of octopus contained several tentacles each! My dream came true!

All chopped

Egg406R.png

Here is the baby tentacle

RvqwJ6n.png

Now I needed to chop the green onions up into pieces

w4RvQ3v.png

I decided to cut the pickled ginger up too

8Qf0xvc.png

Then all I needed to do was make the batter. I couldn't find any takoyaki flour but from pictures I've seen, takoyaki look fluffy so I thought I could use pancake mix as a substitute! This kind of mix is very good at making things fluffy so I knew it would be perfect.

The box of pancake mix said "use milk" but the recipe for the takoyaki said to use dashi broth, so I decided to try and make some of that myself. I didn't have kombu seaweed, but I had a nori snack pack so I used that instead. I soaked the nori snacks in water and boiled it for a bit. Then I added some bonito flakes.

OzRb5wk.png

After some time, dashi was born!

agS9YG9.png

This is the pancake batter

R06GF8e.png

Once all mixed up, it was time to cook. I cooked each takoyaki pancake in garlic oil for some extra flavor. (Pancakes are usually cooked in butter but I felt that would be inappropriate this time.)

LdcDvr5.png

All done!

AA9Bb75.png

It wasn't until the takoyaki pancakes were done that I realized I didn't have any dressing for them! I frantically looked online and learned that this food is traditionally eaten with takoyaki sauce and Kewpie mayonnaise. I didn't know about takoyaki sauce and I don't like mayonnaise, so I opted for sriracha sauce instead. But first, I wanted to taste one plain.

I wasn't following a recipe, exactly, so I kind of just eyeballed all of the ingredients as I went. Unsurprisingly, this resulted in an uneven taste. (Next time: leave it to the professionals!) I think maybe it could have used a bit more pickled ginger but all in all it was pretty okay! I think I will eat the rest with sriracha sauce though!

I drew a tentacle for this guy.

5jD5PE3.png

Release the Kraken!

82OlgTM.png

They tasted better than before, so I was satisfied. But because these are pancakes, I decided to eat just one bite with maple syrup.

doq4qEz.png

Wow!

Then I put some sriracha sauce on the pancake and covered it in maple syrup

zWQPhEj.png

It tasted so good I couldn't believe it! The flavors complimented each other so well! Sweet and spicy; there's some umami too! All of the tastes were represented and married the takoyaki ingredients in a delightful ceremony in my mouth.

And they all lived happily ever after~ 🐙
So instead of takoyaki, you made okonomiyaki

nicely done

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you friend!

Oh! Is that what okonomiyaki is? I have heard of that but I did not know it was made with octopus~

What an unexpected discovery!
There's common ingredients used like cabbage but it means something like 'whatever you want grilled/cooked' so putting anything in a pancake like batter I guess would count.

I turned the can of octopus into...octo roll!
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I saw another octopus thread the other day - one where people were talking about different kinds of octopus-in-a-bun from a restaurant called Chaval in Portland, Maine

www.resetera.com

Has anyone ever tried out the "Octo-Roll"? It looks yummy.

Stumbled upon this in a Youtube comment. There is a local pub/brasserie called Chaval in Portland, Maine in the US, that specializes in Spanish and French cuisine. One of the entrees they have is called "Grilled Spanish Octopus", or shortened as "Octo-Roll" over there. And this is what it looks...

I don't live there but I would like to try this octopus meal very much!

So I decided to make my own using the can of octopus!

I based this one of the second image in the OP of that thread.

MgXdwZs.png

I put chimichurri on top of it because that's what it looked like on the picture that inspired me. I really liked the way this one tasted you guys, and the smaller chunks made it easier to bite! I think I will experiment more with octopus and chimichurri in the future!

Please try this one for yourselves and visit that restaurant if you can!