• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which cat should I get?

• The $1200 cat

Votes: 37 3.5%
  • The $300 cat

Votes: 63 5.9%
  • Both

Votes: 121 11.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 373 35.2%
  • A third, different cat

Votes: 466 44.0%

• Total voters

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Get the cheapest and adopt one. Two cats are better than one. If you are unemployed, don't get neither. You may run through an economic problem sooner than later. Wat a little bit.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
1200 dollars on a fucking cat?

Are people for real? I cannot even fathom that decision. Like power to you and everything if you're just swimmin in cash and it doesn't matter anymore but dude.... guy..... wut?

Adopt an shelter cat or a stray or buy a 20 dollar cat from someone with a surprise litter or something but like... for real - please don't ever spend 1200 dollars on a fuckin cat.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
unless you are looking for something extremely specific like a rare expensive breed, always adopt

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I was taking my 2 mutts to the vet(stray, someone left them in front of my cousin door) and he told me they had a Labrador puppy available for free since the litter was bigger than expected.

Yea, 3 dogs are a handful.

A good thing about mutts are they will outlive a pure breed by a good margin. Something that should be considered.

Yeah, I have only one and if it was for him the whole day would be playing to catch the ball hahaha.

Yeah, probably my next one I will probably adopt, or maybe a cat, they are also cute.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
We never considered actually BUYING a cat when I was growing up. There were more than enough people in the area who would have litters that they were actively giving away every few months.

Jun 2, 2019

Are people for real? I cannot even fathom that decision. Like power to you and everything if you're just swimmin in cash and it doesn't matter anymore but dude.... guy..... wut?

Adopt an shelter cat or a stray or buy a 20 dollar cat from someone with a surprise litter or something but like... for real - please don't ever spend 1200 dollars on a fuckin cat.

Honestly, the way you're giving such low value to a cat because it is a fucking cat doesn't leave you in a better place than OP.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
are there no $10,000 cats available?
People spend as much as they would on a car for Savannahs and Bengals. Asheras can go even higher. I have a non-certified Maine Coon from a shelter, but a certified one would be about $1000. I didn't really chose him for the breed. I chose him because chose me when he ran up to me and said "get me out of here and I will be your bro" with as much of a bear hug as a cat can give you.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

I will never understand it either. My friend drops big money on his dogs and it boggles my mind. I spent 20 bucks for my last dog and I couldn't have asked for a better dog. I will never understand people spending all that money for a dog/cat.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, the way you're giving such low value to a cat because it is a fucking cat doesn't leave you in a better place than OP.

I'm not looking to be in a better place - and once an animal is part of your family it's a part of your family. Doesn't matter if it was free or 20 bucks or 20grand.

BUT - if you're just a normal dude, living a normal life and currently also looking for a job asking a forum if spending 1200 dollars on a kitty comes across as kind of .... i dunno. Silly?

But yah. I'd never go out and spend 1200 on a pet, it's true. And i sware a lot when i talk sure but I'd lose my mind if someone hurt my dogs. I'm not saying cats are useless animals or don't deserve love or anything like that.
I'm saying there are a millions better ways to get a hold of a million better cats than to give some breeder 1200 dollars. For a cat. It is insane to my brain.

Jun 2, 2019
I'm not looking to be in a better place - and once an animal is part of your family it's a part of your family. Doesn't matter if it was free or 20 bucks or 20grand.

BUT - if you're just a normal dude, living a normal life and currently also looking for a job asking a forum if spending 1200 dollars on a kitty comes across as kind of .... i dunno. Silly?

But yah. I'd never go out and spend 1200 on a pet, it's true. And i sware a lot when i talk sure but I'd lose my mind if someone hurt my dogs. I'm not saying cats are useless animals or don't deserve love or anything like that.
I'm saying there are a millions better ways to get a hold of a million better cats than to give some breeder 1200 dollars. For a cat. It is insane to my brain.

I misunterstood then, my bad.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
We just got a cat for our kids and we did so by adopting from the local Shelter. She is a sweetheart and very loving. The kids love her. Save the money and get a kitty from your local shelter. You'd be saving a life.

WkrkVId.jpg

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why everyone is dog piling OP for wanting a 1200 dollar cat. I see nothing wrong with it.

I'm about to adopt (rescue) my second lab pup in a few months, but when I eventually get a cocker spaniel, I'm totally going to have to go to a breeder for one. Those are not the type of dogs that can be easily found in a shelter. This I'll have to pay breeder prices.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why everyone is dog piling OP for wanting a 1200 dollar cat. I see nothing wrong with it.
A lot of it comes down to the OP being unemployed and dropping a load of money on a cat when there are perfectly great cats in shelters. Having a preference in breed is fine, but you need to think of the bigger picture.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
A lot of it comes down to the OP being unemployed and dropping a load of money on a cat when there are perfectly great cats in shelters. Having a preference in breed is fine, but you need to think of the bigger picture.
On that same course, I have to question the decision to get a cat at all in that scenario. Cats are not a one-time purchase...no pet it. That's a new and consistent cost that may not be a good decision to make when unemployed and on a limited to non-existent budget.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Well OP is living with their family. Seems like a stable situation regardless. Assuming the rest of the family is on board.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

I'm about to adopt (rescue) my second lab pup in a few months, but when I eventually get a cocker spaniel, I'm totally going to have to go to a breeder for one. Those are not the type of dogs that can be easily found in a shelter. This I'll have to pay breeder prices.
Considering he's unemployed it's not the best idea when OP could just adopt a cat from a shelter. Cats can be very expensive in the long term.

Last edited:

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of thoughts OP:
  • It's your money, spend it how you want.
  • We paid $70 each for our two cats, and the cost mostly paid for fixing the cats and any licensing fees. They're both awesome.
  • You said you make enough from project work for food/litter/occasional vet visit. Please please please be prepared for more than that. One of our cats became diabetic (its fairly common in cats), and the expenses went through the roof. Now we pay a few hundred extra dollars every few months for special food, blood tests and insulin. The cost eclipses that of regular costs. It sucks, but we are lucky to be able to afford it and I wouldnt have it any other way. If you dont think you would be able to handle this scenario, please reconsider pet ownership, or take the cheaper cat and bank the rest for when this happens (or spend it on insurance). Its not fair to the pet if you can't afford the extra medical bills if something comes up.

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
It's sad to see so many people jump in and talk about getting a shelter cat instead. I've got no doubt that the OP is already aware that is an option.

We've got two cats, one rescue and one Siamese. We also have no children. If you're looking for a more dog-like pet (i.e.needy, plenty of attention) then a rescue isn't a very good option as their personality is likely to be more of a typical cat (I.e. it's prefers it's own company). Our rescue is gorgeous but like many cats, he likes to be by himself. Our Siamese has way more personality, and pretty much walks alongside me if I ever walk through the village.

Regarding your situation OP....if you want a pedigree cat and not a shelter cat, just get the Siamese. He/She will be loud, needy and constantly want to be picked up and cuddled. A best mate for life.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
get whatever cat you want and can afford, OP

but check your work, you know you'll be responsible for another life.

I've noticed that you've adopted from shelters before, so there is no point in trying to attack animal breeding in this thread. People are not going to make the industry disappear, through their posts, or even through their suggestions to adopt.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad to see so many people jump in and talk about getting a shelter cat instead. I've got no doubt that the OP is already aware that is an option.

We've got two cats, one rescue and one Siamese. We also have no children. If you're looking for a more dog-like pet (i.e.needy, plenty of attention) then a rescue isn't a very good option as their personality is likely to be more of a typical cat (I.e. it's prefers it's own company). Our rescue is gorgeous but like many cats, he likes to be by himself. Our Siamese has way more personality, and pretty much walks alongside me if I ever walk through the village.

Regarding your situation OP....if you want a pedigree cat and not a shelter cat, just get the Siamese. He/She will be loud, needy and constantly want to be picked up and cuddled. A best mate for life.

Anecdotal nonsense used to justify the abhorrent practice of breeding. I have two rescue cats that are loud as fuck and always demanding attention. And they both have wildly different personaties.

So please don't imply that rescue cats don't have personality, because anybody coming across that post might actually believe it and choose not to adopt when making a decision.

i'm actually sorry I came at you and this thread that hard, was a long day.

Mar 22, 2019
We just got our second cat yesterday - a 12 week old rag doll called Obi to be a friend to our 1.5year old rag doll, Smeagle.

Quite an interesting dynamic; Smeagle has no interest in coming into the same room as Obi (who is in her own little tent structure in our living room) and Smeagle, when he does come to see her will just sit and hiss.

All this is normal I think though and the two of them will become friends.

Edit: get the cheaper one; from a breeder if you can versus pet shop!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We just got our second cat yesterday - a 12 week old rag doll called Obi to be a friend to our 1.5year old rag doll, Smeagle.

Quite an interesting dynamic; Smeagle has no interest in coming into the same room as Obi (who is in her own little tent structure in our living room) and Smeagle, when he does come to see her will just sit and hiss.

All this is normal I think though and the two of them will become friends.

Edit: get the cheaper one; from a breeder if you can versus pet shop!

Make sure you take the steps to introduce them properly or they may never "become friends".

https://spca.bc.ca/faqs/​how-introduce-new-cat-old-cat/

A lot of people don't care if their cats ever become close, and eventually if you don't introduce them properly, they'll probably tolerate each other, but if you want two cats that are best friends, and groom each other, and play together...make sure to take it slow and follow the steps. It took my cats about 3 months of being separated almost 100% of the time, to get to a point where they wouldn't hiss and growl and try to attack each other, but it was well worth doing it right.

If5N1Uw.jpeg

7FuoLt6.jpeg

bananab

Oct 27, 2017

I've had cats all my life and only once had one that was the stereotypical standoffish loner type. All were rescues, many were strays, and all but that one had big and hilarious personalities.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see 99% of replies in the thread have it covered. Please adopt. A black cat if you can.

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
An adult black cat, even better. Would've gotten one if SO and Miko didn't click so completely the moment they saw each other.
We took an overweight, black adult cat in from a relative who was going to foster him b/c she couldn't take care of him anymore. I'm so glad we did. He's transformed our life and our home. Literally the delight of my day, every day. Crazy personality on this chonker. I love him.

OP
OP
The Auxiliary

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
An adult black cat, even better. Would've gotten one if SO and Miko didn't click so completely the moment they saw each other.
Funny thing, one of the two cats I adopted in the past was an adult black cat because they have the hardest times getting adopted. Taz was pretty old and very, very sick, but he was an absolute darling. Wouldn't hurt a fly and loved to sleep on your chest at night (which was a bit suffocating since he was pretty big.)

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
If you are unemployed, you should probably reconsider.

If you definitely want a cat, I'd recommend adopting.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Pets are expensive enough as it is, even if you don't pay anything up front. My "free" rescue cat was still a few hundred in the first couple months. Trying to do that without a steady income is a bad idea.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Maine coons are that expensive and they're one of the best purchases I've ever made. They are incredible animals.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
All three of my cats have been free outside of their $20 adoption fees. Just adopt a cat. There's no difference outside of the adopted cats probably loving you more.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is just a ridiculous anecdote to base anything off of, like holy shit. My shelter cat that we got when she was 14 years old wants to be around us all the damn time and has the sweetest personality.