• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which cat should I get?

• The $1200 cat

Votes: 37 3.5%
  • The $300 cat

Votes: 63 5.9%
  • Both

Votes: 121 11.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 373 35.2%
  • A third, different cat

Votes: 466 44.0%

• Total voters

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If you can afford a $1200 cat, put that $1200 aside and adopt a cat. Then, if you need to pay for veterinary treatment, you have $1200 to take care of your cat.

Magni

Had a traumatic experience taking care of a very sick cat from the local animal shelter, and adopted another one after that who had health issues. Decided this time I'd search for cats online instead

Our first cat when I was a kid was from a breeder. It died super young from genetic issues. Only adopted cats since, with the elder lady cat turning 16 in a couple of weeks.

You are being unreasonable.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My two rescue kitty's are better than any $1200 cat...so I'd say just adopt a cat. $1200 cats get sick and die too.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Spending more than $50 on a cat just blew my fucking mind.

Shit two years ago I got an orange tabby, and a orange and white long hair for free. lol

$1200 would get me my dream dog.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like the position I'm in. I feel like I'd be just as happy with the mixed cat, but the allure of a fancy looking cat is strong.

Totally get the allure. But I decided against it because I was really getting this pet to give him a good home and to have a companion. I came to the conclusion having a breed dog or a mixed dog wouldn't change that outcome.

Now I have this cute, pointy nosed, pint sized labrador and I love him!

Good luck with your decision. :)

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
We've always had rescue cats and they were great.
Anyone paying for a cat when they're giving them away is a sucker (that and you prevent said cat from being eventually killed).

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Ethical breeding is fine, there are some great breeders out there who do good work and help preserve some breeds that were almost lost.

But there are a shit ton of shit breeders who do terrible things and don't care for the animals or their well being, always do very thorough research if you go with a breeder for a specific breed.

Ethical breeding is a misnomer. Anyone that intentionally brings more cats into this world, where there are already incredible excess populations, is not acting out of any duty of ethics. They're acting to making money, pure and simple. The way they treat the animals they sell for profit isn't what makes one ethical vs not ethical; the entire business is unethical.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to buy a cat, go for it, nothing wrong with that, but you have to think about medical expenses and food as well, will you be able to cover all that? If not, you are doing the cat a disservice.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Go to a shelter and let a cat pick you.

Spend some of the $1200 on supplies. Cheap $1 toys are all you need. Invest the rest into a couple of ETFs.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If your unemployed you really shouldn't get a cat. If money becomes tight, are you really going to put your pet through potentially having no food/litter. What if you get hit with a medical bill?

And if you really are going to do it. Adopt. It's cheap and you will be providing a home for a pet that really wants/needs one.

OP
OP
The Auxiliary

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Totally get the allure. But I decided against it because I was really getting this pet to give him a good home and to have a companion. I came to the conclusion having a breed dog or a mixed dog wouldn't change that outcome.

Now I have this cute, pointy nosed, pint sized labrador and I love him!

Good luck with your decision. :)
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah the breed doesn't really matter in the end does it? I should just go with my heart on this!

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
As the owner of a rescue dog I'm just going to tell you adopt from a local rescue or shelter. So many amazing pets are in those places and sure they might be "no-kill", but they all want a place to call home and a warm bed to have all to themselves. Those expensive cats will most likely be bought by someone soon, where as a shelter cat might be stuck there for months or even years and sometimes it's no fault of their own.
They do want a home. 5 years ago I got a cat that had been in the shelter for two years. She wasn't the one we picked, but she came and picked me. She is the most cuddle loving cat ever. We went for one cat but left with two.

Iggelich

Aug 31, 2019
You shouldn't expect a breed cat to not have health problems. It's a higher risk than a mixed cat. I don't know how it's in the US, but in germany shelters will provide you with health info about a cat you adopt, and if you tell them you want healthy cat they won't give you a cat with significant health problems.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
You're unemployed... why are you paying for a cat? Go adopt one (better yet, adopt two.) Every cat can be the perfect companion, you don't need to buy a particular breed.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
If you buy a cat, you will be contributing to an industry that leads to the death of millions of cats every year. You will be getting an animal bred for its looks that may have developed health or psychological issues as a consequence of irresponsible breeding. You will be spending hundreds of dollars that in your situation you should be saving.

If you adopt a cat, you will be getting an animal that will be just happy to have a home, and contributing to none of the above problems. In fact, you will be doing the opposite: contributing to ending those problems and I appreciate her for her unique personality, how loving and lovable she is and how absolutely astonishingly pretty she is regardless of being a "common breed".

Adopting my cat is the best thing I've ever done in my entire life and I mean it. I saved a wonderful animal and companion and every day since she has made it completely worth it. She may not be "pedigree" but she is the most beautiful and wonderful little creature.

Adopting will teach you a lesson about what really matters and being less selfish.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the thread backfire OP but if you hadn't included the fact that you're unemployed you still would have been told to adopt from a shelter by most people, fact that it's a waste of money when you don't have it to throw around made the pile on easier.

Not gonna make a suggestion one way or the other, I have 2 shelter dogs myself and wouldn't trade them for any pure breed even if they can be a pain in the ass sometimes (sight hound ahoy) but I also won't kill people for buying the type of pet they want, just know that you'll learn to love the pet whether they're shelter or pedigree

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This sounds like the position I'm in. I feel like I'd be just as happy with the mixed cat, but the allure of a fancy looking cat is strong.

I would be a crazy cat person if I could
You're not a crazy cat person for having three cats. You're a crazy cat person for spending $1000+ on cats while unemployed.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Had a traumatic experience taking care of a very sick cat from the local animal shelter, and adopted another one after that who had health issues. Decided this time I'd search for cats online instead
Just as you would need to be doing the required amount of research in getting a cat from a breeder, you also need to do the exact same with adoption.

One of the worst thing a person can do walking into an adoption is to do a blind adoption, because often times what that would result in in the adopted pet who may not fit the owner, will either be put up for adoption again after being returned to the shelter, or they will get abandoned, which is typically why pets end up in the shelter again anyways, thus, again adding to the trauma that the pet has felt in the first place.

Adoption isn't just about taking pets off the streets, but making sure that pets are meeting the right owners, and it's a relatively good match that can develop into a great match. As much time as you put into researching breeders, if you put the same amount of effort into adopting one, it will greatly increase your chances of making sure you will have a good match.

Another thing to remember is that just because it's from a breeder, doesn't mean that the cat still won't experience health issues. Adoption pets are also, though depending on the shelter, have a fairly health history provided to you. While I want to say just get the pets off the streets, for your own personal interest, it may not have to be a local shelter, but do research on shelters around as well. You may actually get more information and stability of information from a good shelter just as you can get from a breeder.

This isn't to knock that you are getting pets from a breeder, but I also want to make sure that you've exhausted all of your options, especially if you feel you have the requisite amount of time and effort to put into supporting a pet right now, to give adoption more of a look, and honestly, you could even get two great cats out of adoption as well as a result, and less the money that you had intended to spend in the first place.

And if you are interested in multiple cats, it's also fairly common that shelters will have litters typically, and many would actually have preferred adoptions where the pets are not separated, usually siblings, and want to find a owner that would be willing to take two. This is also another option that I feel would be good to consider and looking further into. Whatever your final choice may be, I would just push you to reconsider adoption again.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
You can foster the cat first and take it to the vet for a check up if that is your concern. An animal bred to look a certain way is more likely to develop health issues, look at pugs for instance.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna tell anyone how to spend their money, but if you just want a cat, then adopting would be a good option. If you want a specific type of cat for some reason, then go for it. Both a shelter cat or one that you buy would both need a home. Just know that the shelter cat might face a harsher future if it's not adopted.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah the breed doesn't really matter in the end does it? I should just go with my heart on this!

This. And I'll echo the adoption.
But you don't have to get the first one you see.
We have 10 adopted cats. Some of them we found on second or third visits, like we had a feeling or not.

Don't be afraid to look at an older, or not kitten. They often are left behind because everyone wants the babies.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you're unemployed I'm going to say no cat for right now. A pet, especially one like a dog or cat, is a long term expense you're going to have to deal with.

Once you aren't unemployed, then adopt.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I strongly suggest not getting one until you're in a better spot financially. But if you're going to go ahead with this, adopt. But again, just wait.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
Animals are expensive especially when health issues start popping up don't think that's something an unemployed person should be getting themselves into.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
$1200?
$300?

For a cat?

Get a shelter cat $50 including spay/neuter

Do the world a favor by adopting and save your money for your own place someday

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Adopt. Fancy breeds look nice, but people with more money than brains will hopefully provide an adequate home for them. The greatest bond I'll likely ever have with an animal is my who-knows-what breed ginger cat who I got as a kitten almost 13 years ago, when he was born under my neighbors steps to some stray who ditched her litter. Pains me to know that no amount of money will buy a cat to exactly replace him when he's gone, but I'll never not adopt when there are so many pets that need a home.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am going to try and adopt this 6 month year old girl but worry it wont happen as she is far away and we still have a lockdown

Ophelia_28529resized.png

I already love her face

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Everyone, adopt cats please. There are millions out there without a home, don't spend a thousand bucks for one. If you like cats, give shelter to one.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm making a small amount of money on a small project I've been working on, and it's enough to buy food, litter, and occasional doctors visits for a cat I believe.

Seems like a ridiculous expense if you don't have a lot of money. What about vet fees?

You should be able to adopt for a little cash or free.

Also, if you describe one of the would-be cats as having an 'unremarkable coat', I don't think you are getting a cat for the right reasons. It isn't a fashion accessory.