• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Played both to completion. If you like both genres then:

RETURNAL no question. It's absolutely GOTY material.

R&C however is a very pretty, very average game, and rather overrated.

Scrillz

Banned
Jan 4, 2021
Returnal is by far the better game and next gen package. R&C is very beautiful and production value is great, but there is little innovation.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Do not buy Returnal based on recommendations without having played it somewhere else first. The core gameplay/audio/visuals are great, but you may end up hating the rogue-like structure and feel like you wasted your money. I know people recommend the games they personally like, but the design here is very polarizing.

And no, if you like Hades it does not mean you will like Returnal. Hades has a well thought out god mode that can help you out if needed, but Returnal is ruthless, and runs can be very long if you're trying to play carefully.

R&C is OK, it's a decent, character action game with nice graphics, but nothing amazing. It's a safe recommendation if you keep expectations in check.

Last edited:

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Easily Returnal. Ratchet only has the graphics really going for it whilst Returnal is the better game.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't be the only one rolling eyes at reading "R&C is the same game since ps2" right? Like have people really played the ps2 games? Gameplay loop might be the same, but the entire mobility/aiming is entirely different. It's like saying that Doom 2016 is the same game you played in 1993

At this point it must be a meme. Either that or people completely forgot how R&C games played on ps2

Especially the first two. First had no weapon upgrades IIRC, and the second game had Level 1 and Level 2 upgrades but I don't think anything after that, and upgradable weapons drastically change how I play (no point for me to use older weapons if newer ones are simply better).

UYA is more what I expect from a R&C game, but even there, using the most "modern" control scheme they have feels much different than PS3 onward. Tools of Destruction really begins what I think is the "feel" of R&C games since it became more cinematic, with better cut scenes, and tried to have more emotion to it, whereas something like UYA is just slapstick funny.

Not really dissing the old games, but I certainly feel the difference when playing them again.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
I can't be the only one rolling eyes at reading "R&C is the same game since ps2" right? Like have people really played the ps2 games? Gameplay loop might be the same, but the entire mobility/aiming is entirely different. It's like saying that Doom 2016 is the same game you played in 1993

At this point it must be a meme. Either that or people completely forgot how R&C games played on ps2
The level design is way more linear with very little backtracking in modern entries, the music and overall tone is completely different from earlier entries, the writing and nature of the stories are super different, and the older games had a lot of content in terms of the number of planets, arena challenges, skillpoints, and other things.

It's a bummer that so many people outside of series fans never really notice the improvements and regressions made with each entry, but it is what it is I guess.

Especially the first two. First had no weapon upgrades IIRC, and the second game had Level 1 and Level 2 upgrades but I don't think anything after that, and upgradable weapons drastically change how I play (no point for me to use older weapons if newer ones are simply better).

UYA is more what I expect from a R&C game, but even there, using the most "modern" control scheme they have feels much different than PS3 onward. Tools of Destruction really begins what I think is the "feel" of R&C games since it became more cinematic, with better cut scenes, and tried to have more emotion to it, whereas something like UYA is just slapstick funny.

Not really dissing the old games, but I certainly feel the difference when playing them again.
Ironically enough, Tools of Destruction is when I felt they really began to lose the "feel" of Ratchet & Clank in terms of everything outside of gameplay and graphics.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really played rogue like games before. I like games with an engaging story and more of world exploration.

You probably shouldn't start with Returnal. Rift Apart apparently isn't the best of the R&C games, but I had a blast, and it's a great showcase for the new hardware. Story is interesting enough, with great characters, and a gorgeous set of worlds to explore.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You may as well go with Ratchet first, and try Returnal later, because aside from it seeming like it fits your tastes better, Returnal's gameplay is just gonna kinda ruin Ratchet for you anyways tbh

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think R&C is the 'safer' choice: amazing visuals, fun gameplay, funny characters.
It is also a great game to show to friends/family.

Returnal is way too niche, i'd love to try it but the rogue thing and difficulty really puts me off

Oct 31, 2017
The level design is way more linear with very little backtracking in modern entries, the music and overall tone is completely different from earlier entries, the writing and nature of the stories are super different, and the older games had a lot of content in terms of the number of planets, arena challenges, skillpoints, and other things.

It's a bummer that so many people outside of series fans never really notice the improvements and regressions made with each entry, but it is what it is I guess.

Ironically enough, Tools of Destruction is when I felt they really began to lose the "feel" of Ratchet & Clank in terms of everything outside of gameplay and graphics.

And the funny thing is that's really what I feel R&C is, now, since it's been so long since the original ones. Playing them again recently, I actually like the change, although I wasn't as big of a fan way back when. For me, the originals feel like a PS2 game, as in developers still didn't know exactly what they were doing quite yet with cutscenes, so sometimes the pace or pauses just felt a bit off.

UYA was criticized at the time for creating less single-player content and utilizing some of that dev time on multi instead, and while I understand that, I think it really didn't need to be longer. UYA can sometimes be a little too gun-heavy since you have the arena at Annihilation Nation, you have the Rangers missions, sometimes in a large sandbox, and you have the regular worlds, not to mention playing as Giant Clank and that shooting gallery. Its one criticism from me would be that a little extra platforming would have helped enormously with that issue.

Kind of ironic that it's the R&C that I feel can feel like too much sometimes considering the number of different scenarios the game has (Annihilation Nation arena, Rangers missions, regular gameplay on planets, Clank parts, Giant Clank, the simulation on Starship Phoenix, Captain Qwark Vid-comics, multiplayer).

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Clank, easily. People highly rate Returnal but you more than likely won't even beat it.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017

Even beside the RPG aspects, the first games had no free aiming, it was introduced later on as an optional feature but level and encounter design was still built around the old aiming scheme. FFA/Nexus were the first two games that had to be played with free aiming. In the first games you would just aim on the horizontal axis in a way that really reminded me of the old DOOM games. The previous R&C games also had a more arcade-y feel due to that, which is something that I miss to be honest, even though I'm happy the series moved forward in that aspect as it could feel "dated".

It's just so weird. Like, is there any other series that gets criticized as often as R&C for being the "same old thing"? And even then, I think that not many series have witnessed the changes that Insomniac made to the R&C games during the years, I really can't understand this. It's like everyone collectively forgot how R&C played 20 years ago, and I also think that at this point it's some sort of meme.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet is the perfect "show off your new console" game but Returnal is the better game if you want something challenging and fun.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Even beside the RPG aspects, the first games had no free aiming, it was introduced later on as an optional feature but level and encounter design was still built around the old aiming scheme. FFA/Nexus were the first two games that had to be played with free aiming. In the first games you would just aim on the horizontal axis in a way that really reminded me of the old DOOM games. The previous R&C games also had a more arcade-y feel due to that, which is something that I miss to be honest, even though I'm happy the series moved forward in that aspect as it could feel "dated".

It's just so weird. Like, is there any other series that gets criticized as often as R&C for being the "same old thing"? And even then, I think that not many series have witnessed the changes that Insomniac made to the R&C games during the years, I really can't understand this. It's like everyone collectively forgot how R&C played 20 years ago, and I also think that at this point it's some sort of meme.

I've honestly ever heard Rift Apart and Far Cry criticized as much for "being more of the same" a lot of other franchises seem to get away with it. It's weird

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Really research Returnal. It's an Era favorite, but trust me, it's not for everyone, not even Souls players. It's tough, unforgiving, and most certainly will test your patients. Don't simply go by the recommendations here.

If that's something you are into, check it out because it's good. I don't think it's GoTY like many, but it's really damn good; one of the top releases of 2021.

Ratchet is super accessible and has a solid foundation. If you've played any Ratchet game, then you know what you are getting. Beautiful game with exceptional gameplay, like Returnal. Both use the DualSense well, but I'd lean Returnal for the best implementation.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Between the two my personal preference is Returnal even though I've been a big Ratchet fan since the beginning. If you've never played a Ratchet game before, then both are true "next-gen" experiences worth playing ASAP IMO

I haven't really played rogue like games before. I like games with an engaging story and more of world exploration.

If you think you're open to the idea of playing one, then Returnal is the one to play if those are your priorities.

Ratchet is fun, the story is a bit light but the characters are all endearing and the worlds are fun to explore.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
And the funny thing is that's really what I feel R&C is, now, since it's been so long since the original ones. Playing them again recently, I actually like the change, although I wasn't as big of a fan way back when. For me, the originals feel like a PS2 game, as in developers still didn't know exactly what they were doing quite yet with cutscenes, so sometimes the pace or pauses just felt a bit off.

UYA was criticized at the time for creating less single-player content and utilizing some of that dev time on multi instead, and while I understand that, I think it really didn't need to be longer. UYA can sometimes be a little too gun-heavy since you have the arena at Annihilation Nation, you have the Rangers missions, sometimes in a large sandbox, and you have the regular worlds, not to mention playing as Giant Clank and that shooting gallery. Its one criticism from me would be that a little extra platforming would have helped enormously with that issue.

Kind of ironic that it's the R&C that I feel can feel like too much sometimes considering the number of different scenarios the game has (Annihilation Nation arena, Rangers missions, regular gameplay on planets, Clank parts, Giant Clank, the simulation on Starship Phoenix, Captain Qwark Vid-comics, multiplayer).
The PS2 games just feel like they have more of a unique identity to me, which is why I associate Ratchet and Clank with that.

The music is more pronounced and identifiable with recurring motifs rather than something that strictly falls to the background and is drowned out by dialogue in the modern entries. The humor hit for me more often and was oftentimes pretty pointed satire whereas in later entries jokes are just there to be there and are pretty throwaway in most of their execution. Characters like Qwark and Nefarious, which keep coming back, still have their best moments in the original games in my opinion. The stories themselves in the PS2 entries are inherently more unique than the "chosen one" plots of the Future series (although I think we did get some good character moments out of it despite that). And the four PS2 entries are still the most content complete entries in the series outside of A Crack in Time and maybe Tools of Destruction.

Honestly, I wish we could get a mainline entry as packed as at least UYA was. We can't even get that nowadays. The thing that was nice about having so many optional arena challenges and the like in prior entries was that it allowed them to create really difficult content for series vets to play through, but not have it be mandatory. Kind of like how 3D Mario saves a lot of the challenging objectives for the post-game. It's something they really nailed by UYA and Deadlocked, so it's partially why the lower amount of content in recent games did bother me.

Rift Apart continuing the trend of a small arena as well as UYA still having double the planets of 2016 and Rift Apart respectively without even being the most content rich entry on PS2 just brings the issue to the forefront of my mind.

It's just so weird. Like, is there any other series that gets criticized as often as R&C for being the "same old thing"? And even then, I think that not many series have witnessed the changes that Insomniac made to the R&C games during the years, I really can't understand this. It's like everyone collectively forgot how R&C played 20 years ago, and I also think that at this point it's some sort of meme
Yeah, it's weird. I feel like the differences are pretty noticeable to me. I guess if you're ignoring the new weapons, level design, etc, you can say Ratchet's mobility and movement options has stayed pretty stagnant until recently.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I don't think this is necessarily true. As someone whose not that big in to rogue-likes/lites I LOVED Hades but having a hard time enjoying Returnal. There are certain things about how Hades handles the rogue-lite aspects that make it more palatable for people like me that Returnal doesn't do.
Hades is one of my favorite games. Returnal did not click for me at all, and is IMO a far inferior and less rewarding experience. Just throwing that out there.
True, Hades has a lot more character development, but when I wrote this post it was more about the gameplay (even that is different upon reflection with top-down perspective versus 3D), but that is why I also said edited it to state that they may enjoy Returnal if they played Hades. Still, I think OP should give it a try down the road and see what he thinks of it.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
If you loved Hades, you'll enjoy Returnal.
I do not agree with this. Hades makes you feel like you are progressing and not nearly as punishing and daunting as Returnal. Hades is a step above it. I finished it on PC and SX and it's an outstanding game from tight combat, great story, and making the player feel like they are progressing.

Returnal most certainly has tight combat too, but Hades is easier to get into and the progression system is better. I picked it up over the summer and I'm currently in Biome 3. I'm only pushing through because I don't want to let it sit.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I still have some cash leftover after buying a new PS5 and can only buy one of these games. Which one would you recommend for a new ps5 owner?

Definitely Returnal. Ratchet is beautiful, but the gameplay is largely unchanged and doesn't take advantage of anything the PS5 offers.

Oct 31, 2017
The PS2 games just feel like they have more of a unique identity to me, which is why I associate Ratchet and Clank with that.

The music is more pronounced and identifiable with recurring motifs rather than something that strictly falls to the background and is drowned out by dialogue in the modern entries. The humor hit for me more often and was oftentimes pretty pointed satire whereas in later entries jokes are just there to be there and are pretty throwaway in most of their execution. Characters like Qwark and Nefarious, which keep coming back, still have their best moments in the original games in my opinion. The stories themselves in the PS2 entries are inherently more unique than the "chosen one" plots of the Future series (although I think we did get some good character moments out of it despite that). And the four PS2 entries are still the most content complete entries in the series outside of A Crack in Time and maybe Tools of Destruction.

Honestly, I wish we could get a mainline entry as packed as at least UYA was. We can't even get that nowadays. The thing that was nice about having so many optional arena challenges and the like in prior entries was that it allowed them to create really difficult content for series vets to play through, but not have it be mandatory. Kind of like how 3D Mario saves a lot of the challenging objectives for the post-game. It's something they really nailed by UYA and Deadlocked, so it's partially why the lower amount of content in recent games did bother me.

Rift Apart continuing the trend of a small arena as well as UYA still having double the planets of 2016 and Rift Apart respectively without even being the most content rich entry on PS2 just brings the issue to the forefront of my mind.

I think some of the humor is better in the originals because it was a bit less cutesy. Like, I always get a kick out of UYA when Ratchet is with Evil Clank and sees Nefarious and the real Clank, and goes, "There's not a chance that that's the Evil Clank, right?" Or Qwark's funeral, "What a load of bull-" "Shhh!"

But I think the character connections are made better by the improved cinematics and a bit more attempt at a story. Crack in Time is one R&C game where I really felt I cared about the characters motivations, and it helps that the Clank world is such a wonder to just admire.

Funny thing is, when I list everything in UYA, it seems huge, but playing them all back to back to back, I don't really feel like it took me longer to play UYA compared to Rift Apart. In fact, I think the number of planets only tells part of the story since some of the planets are rather large open spaces, and some have a separate map in them via the crystals.

If anything, Rift Apart at least feels like a content complete R&C, whereas the 2016 one was smaller (and priced accordingly due to that). I did love UYA's arena; there's not yet been one since with dozens of challenges.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Definitely Returnal. Ratchet is beautiful, but the gameplay is largely unchanged and doesn't take advantage of anything the PS5 offers.

It does just as much as returnal does. More so, this is misinformation

You don't get this level of fidelity, loading, and particle effects at 60fps on ps4 and its fully ray traced. Rift Apart is a technical masterpiece and utilizes almost every available feature of the PS5

61MxJCG.gif

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Someone said it here pretty well - you will like Ratchet but you might love Returnal.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I love Returnal. Played Ratchet for like 2 hours and haven't played it more since. Need to get back it though!

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Ratchet, Returnal isn't for everyone at all and you really need to research if it's for you before diving in imo

Nov 12, 2017
If you even enjoy anything remotely challenging and rewarding I'd go with Returnal it's still the one I play and still my PS5 Goty 2021

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Returnal was my favourite game last year. An absolutely unique experience unlike anything else I've ever played, with some utterly breathtaking set-pieces that will stay with me forever.

I haven't bought Ratchet and Clank because outside the stunning visuals, there's nothing I can see there that I haven't played a dozen times before. I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it, but I would strongly recommend Returnal.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
OP make sure you really do your research for Ratchet & Clank before you buy it. Don't just go by the recommendations here. It's not for everybody!

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
OP make sure you really do your research for Ratchet & Clank before you buy it. Don't just go by the recommendations here. It's not for everybody!
There is no need to mock anyone trying to help. Returnal is a new IP and warrants research. Ratchet has over 15 entries, and I stated that they know the formula if they have played any.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Returnal was the first thing I bought, and the only game I even launched for the first several weeks. I had plenty of other things to try out, but Returnal just had me so quickly and thoroughly hooked.

Oct 25, 2017
True, Hades has a lot more character development, but when I wrote this post it was more about the gameplay (even that is different upon reflection with top-down perspective versus 3D), but that is why I also said edited it to state that they may enjoy Returnal if they played Hades. Still, I think OP should give it a try down the road and see what he thinks of it.

I'm not even sure Hades has more character development actually. The way Returnal explores Selene's grief and guilt is tremendous, it just does it in a different way than Hades' endless text windows. It's more ambiguous, but very strong in its own right. They both do a great job of integrating the narrative in the framework of a roguelite.
You're right, the only way to know for sure is to just give it a try. Some might prefer Hades, others Returnal. I'm in the latter camp. I think Returnal's combat is far better, it has actual level design with more secrets, it has better enemy and boss designs and I much prefer its haunting atmosphere. Hades is probably easier, but that seems to vary from person to person. And in some ways, Returnal offers more freedom as it allows you to skipp bosses and use shortcuts and you can always restart halfway.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I havent played returnal because it seems to not be my cup of tea. But Drift Apart has been my first ratchet and apart from some niggles, i loved it.