• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
A friend is offering a PS5 at retail price. The little time I have for games these days already goes to my Switch & PC Game Pass, though. PS5 would be my last priority and be used for exclusives and PSVR2, which is the main reason I'd buy the console.

Should I spend hundreds now when I don't plan on using the console for a while? Will supply improve by the time the PSVR2 launches, whenever that may be, or is it possible that supply actually gets worse as the year goes on?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There's not gonna get any easier to get, if you can get your hands on a ps5 now I would do so. The price isn't coming down by the time psvr2 comes out.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you answered your question and shouldn't under that criteria. Of course there are far more reasons to get one than just vr but time is limited

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
I'd get one now if you have this opportunity. Who knows when they'll be freely available.

Edit: but if you aren't going to use it for some time it should probably go to someone who will use it.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
We don't know if supply will improve. But don't expect any official price drops, so get it whenever you want.

Get it now if you want to check out some PS5 exclusives, there are already few very good ones.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Supply could stay being limited especially once big hitters start dropping this year. I am assuming PSVR2 will likely release this year as well.

If you want PSVR2 as soon as possible then I'd get it.

Your friend is offering the console at a retail price so I'd snag that even if I'd just sit on it later. I'd also pre-order PSVR2 once it is available if I want it day 1 since I assume that would also be limited in stock.

Oct 31, 2017
A friend is offering a PS5 at retail price. The little time I have for games these days already goes to my Switch & PC Game Pass, though. PS5 would be my last priority and be used for exclusives and PSVR2, which is the main reason I'd buy the console.

Should I spend hundreds now when I don't plan on using the console for a while? Will supply improve by the time the PSVR2 launches, whenever that may be, or is it possible that supply actually gets worse as the year goes on?

The most sensible answer would be no. If it's just gonna collect dust for a while and not see much use until some unspecified point in the future I, personally, wouldn't buy it. It also depends on if you can afford to purchase the console right now with ease or if it'd put a dent in your savings etc.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't count on supply improving, if you want one and can get it at retail price then you should get it now

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a PS5 this easy, for retail, is a no brainer. Especially if you are gonna want one within the next year. Once PSVR drops it's only going to make getting a PS5 even harder.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
The price won't drop anytime soon. Unless you are waiting for reviews of the hardware, I'd say just get it when you can find one.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Price-wise definitely yes, but it is a bit sad that you would be holding up a console that someone else could actually be playing, since everything is so supply-constrained

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure if you will be able to get a PSVR2 at launch.
I would wait until you can get a PS5 and PSVR 2 at the same time.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
If you want PSVR2 as soon as possible then I'd get it.

I agree with this answer, otherwise I'd say pass on it.

I don't know about you, but I HATE the design of the Gigantic Obelisk. I will wait until the inevitable smaller redesign, if I get one at all. And I disagree with some of the above folks saying that it won't become easier to get. This situation is temporary, we just don't know how temporary it is.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming PSVR2 comes out this year, OP this might be your best chance to get a PS5 at retail price.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
If money isn't an issue and losing out almost a year of warranty isn't either and you'll want PSVR2 day one then go for it.
Otherwise just wait until you can get both at the same time, but who knows when that will be possible.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Due to the ongoing shortages and scarcity of securing a PS5, I think anyone even remotely interested should get one if presented an opportunity to pay retail price. Things will not be getting better any time soon, according to the industry.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I wouldn't feel great about letting a system collect dust when there are people who want to use it now but can't get it. Seems like a form of hoarding.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'd buy it. There won't be a price drop so waiting is simply adding risk with absolutely 0 reward.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you could always wait for the PS5 Pro to go with your PSVR2.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If you can get it for retail price and you will play exclusives I would get it now.
A couple of big exclusives coming pretty soon. (Horizon and GT7)

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If you're into PC gaming why would you lock yourself into PSVR?

Why not get a PC headset?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
As others have said, the price is likely to be the same and there's no guarantee you'll be able to pick one up at the psvr launch, so you might as well snag one whenever you can

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No point in waiting. They aren't going to be cheaper for several years, if ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Is your friend willing to sell it to anyone for retail price or just you? If someone else could buy it and actually use it that would be a better outcome. If it's a deal just for you, do it. You'll probably find something to play even before PSVR2 once you have the console.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It it now, it's not going to get any cheaper and there's a chance that they won't be easily obtainable until like 2023.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If you can buy one right now, get it... then sell it for double the price, that way when the PSVR2 comes out you can use that money to get both.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If OP would be interested in some of PS5's exclusives, I would say get it now. On the other hand, if OP OS willing to wait till 2023 or so, I would say wait.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of anything else, if you have a chance to get a PS5 right now .....at retail....its best to just get it now. As far as having more than 1 platform, one platform will usually be your main one so dont worry about what you will use the PS5 for.

Supply doesnt look to get any better anytime soon.
If you try to buy one now and you may be able to get it by the time PSVR2 launches.
Exactly, lol.

If you have a good chance to get it now and dont, you may as well start looking now and hopefully you will get it before 2023.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The system isn't going to get any cheaper, nor 'grab one off the shelf' easier, over the next few years. If you want a PS5 for anything projected to come out over the next couple of years and one drops in your lap like this?

do-it-come-on.gif

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
If you want a PS5 at all, you need to take this extremely lucky opportunity and buy this one from your friend. It's going to be hard to obtain for years. If you want it, you better go ahead and get it now.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
is there a name for the brain poison that affects videogame enthusiasts (myself included) that causes us to spend obscene amounts of money on games and hardware we're keenly aware that we're not going to play?

i don't know your financial situation, prob better than mine if you're considering this, but i really think you'd do better to wait and save your money for now if the thing isn't going to fulfill any particular need at the moment

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar situation earlier this week. I want it only if PSVR2 impresses me with the software lineup.

Slickdeals had a thread where Target had inventory available for local store pickups (only). My closest store actually had available inventory for a couple hours. Had it in my cart, but couldn't pull the trigger on purchasing it yet.

Looking at what they're selling for on Ebay is interesting. By the time you pay for sales tax, shipping, Ebay fees and processing fees, these dipshits are only making around 50 dollars while assuming a ton of risk (buyer fraud). It says to me that demand has dropped a lot closer to supply than previously. Maybe I'll regret it, but I think if the PSVR2 unveiling impresses me, demand should hit equilibrium with supply fairly soon. I'm not fearful I won't have another opportunity before it launches.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The price will not budge.
But maybe PSVR2 will come bundled with PS5 for a little bit of discount

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
If you're trying to get into PSVR2 as soon as it launches, presumably later this year, it might be worth picking up now just so you don't have to deal with stock issues. Otherwise, there aren't many reasons you need to own a PS5 right now.