• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely need a 2nd unit. Family steals mine and plays mario kart all damn day. I want another one so I can play whenever I want to. It's going to be annoying when Pokémon comes out and I can't play it, ya dig?!

Also Nintendo, where the fuck is Bayonetta 3?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're operating under a few assumptions.
1, that there will be a Switch Pro
2, that it will be releasing at any point in the near future, and
3, that it wouldn't be spiffy to just have 3 Switches if one does come out.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
Switch Pro bro. If that's really a thing. Although you should wait for the specs and to see if that's what you really want. Or get rid of your family.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
eeh I'm waiting as well because my switch has some issues. maybe they will reveal it in april?

but surely it won't be a switch "pro". a switch lite is more likely

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
So instead of talking to your family and telling them to stop using your stuff without asking, you'd rather drop another $300?

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
I think the Pro model might be a ways of.
Allegedly the new model releasing this year is more of a cheaper "light" version, at least that's what rumours were pointing to.
If anything the current model might keep a high resale value, if the security for the new model is a lot better. (Though this is Nintendo we're talking about.)

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I bought a 2nd switch a week ago. Nobody knows if it's real and it might just be a smaller version that's not more powerful or just be just insignificant amount of more power. If it's 2x more powerful i will just sell one of my normal ones, it's not like they will suddenly be worth $50. I wouldn't base what you do on rumors.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a second switch, there's a rumor a new unit is coming this year. Be it a Switch lite or whatever, probably cheaper with some refinements that might be worth waiting for

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I'd wait, but then I'm incredibly cheap and will use any justification, no matter how misguided, to avoid spending money.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I would buy another now. Worst case scenario you just end up having 3 (which if there are others in your family playing may not be a bad thing) but otherwise you could trade one in towards the revision in the future. I would imagine you'd still get $125-150 for it at least (or you could sell it on Craigslist for that). You'll be out some cash but it's probably worth it since it sounds like a revision is some ways off still (probably around the time of Pokemon I'd think) so you'll get 6-8 months of enjoyment of having your own unit.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I was in a similar situation, and ultimately just decided to get a 2nd Switch. Really, all we have to suggest a Pro Model even exists is rumours and speculation. If you do believe said rumours, they are largely suggesting the coming revision will simply be a Switch Lite, a cheaper model to essentially replace the 3DS and allow Nintendo to phase it out, which does make a lot of sense. Pro Model supposedly exists, but isn't coming anytime soon.

If a smaller, more portable model sounds appealing, maybe it's worth waiting until E3 or so to see what happens. If what you actually want is a Switch Pro, that is actually more powerful and capable than the current hardware, I think you will be waiting for some time. The only basis for it's existence are rumours that also suggest it is a ways off.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pokémon is usually a good time for Nintendo to drop revisions. I'd wait, not necessarily for a "Pro".

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My opinion is that only thing you can expect is a revision : a refined Switch but with strictly same performances and only refinements for autonomy, aircooling, thiner bezels etc.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
wait. You wither will get a better one or a price drop.

Weren't the rumors suggesting that an alternate version (maybe a smaller version) would be coming this year? That could be considered "better," but if and only if you actually want a smaller one (like I do).

As long as the system is selling well, there will not be a price drop. There doesn't need to be a price drop.

I think you'll be waiting a long time if you want an upgraded model or a price drop.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've got 4 switches. If and when a switch pro gets announced, you can just sell one.
My whole family uses them all the time, we can play minecraft together, stardew valley, mario kart, etc etc

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You think that will happen around November when Pokémon drops?
Probably sooner, nintendo usually announces price drops around august.

Weren't the rumors suggesting that an alternate version (maybe a smaller version) would be coming this year? That could be considered "better," but if and only if you actually want a smaller one (like I do).

As long as the system is selling well, there will not be a price drop. There doesn't need to be a price drop.

I think you'll be waiting a long time if you want an upgraded model or a price drop.
I don't think nintendo will be able to sell more switch this year than last year without either a new model or a price drop. By april, when they tell us their guidance for this year, we will have a pretty good idea.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a very real possibility that there won't be a revised Switch unit. If there is, it won't be for a long time.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
There's no solid evidence that a Switch Pro is coming any time soon. If you need a second unit, I'd just buy one now and you can always sell it later and upgrade to a hypothetical Pro.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely wait for the Pro/Slim/2.0 whatever Switch is coming out this summer.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'll be looking at getting a new one too, and I've decided to see how this hardware revision rumour shakes out before putting any money down. With electronic hardware, it always pays to he patient.

Apr 9, 2018
Wait for E3 if you can, but this year's revision is more likely a price down than a spec up.

I wouldn't expect a 'pro' Switch model to release before PS5/Xbox Whatever

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
buy that PSPro for third parties, but if you want exclusive Nintendo games (on the go!)get a Switch

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
With the rumours of a new model on the way (no mention of it being a 'Slim' or 'Pro' though) I personally would hold off on buying one until the end of summer after E3 and the reveal of all their 2019 games.

It is hard to tell whether or not Switch will even get a revision though. They almost never update their home consoles...while almost releasing 2-3 variations of every one of their successful handhelds.

Especially in 3DS' case with both '2DS' and 'New 3DS'

Oct 25, 2017
The New 3DS models took roughly four years to come out after the original 3DS. The XL took about a year and a half. The original DS had similar gaps before the improved models came out.

In all those cases the original model came with a number of shortcomings that led to the improved version being saught after.

The current model of the Switch doesn't really have the same kind of shortcomings, and Nintendo aren't really the type to rush a new version of hardware when the current one is selling well enough.

Buy a new one of the current model if you need one now or in the next few months.

If there's going to be a significant, new hardware revision coming out between now and the beginning of summer then we'd have probably heard by now through supply chain or developer leaks.

If you can handle waiting until E3 I'd say that seems like a fair point to wait till if you really want to avoid being caught out.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the rumours of a new model on the way (no mention of it being a 'Slim' or 'Pro' though) I personally would hold off on buying one until the end of summer after E3 and the reveal of all their 2019 games.

It is hard to tell whether or not Switch will even get a revision though. They almost never update their home consoles...while almost releasing 2-3 variations of every one of their successful handhelds.

Especially in 3DS' case with both '2DS' and 'New 3DS'
NES, SNES got them (although the revisions are a bit niche). More recently Wii got 2 revisions. Basically only the less popular ones don't get anything.

Besides, the Switch is mobile hardware at core, which is always ripe for revisions. Better screens, different sizes, battery life... all those things that are irrelevant in home consoles but matter with the Switch.