• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it his fault

• Yes

Votes: 293 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 68 18.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say... the Transformers wiki has got to be one of the best wikis ever. Am I wrong?

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I remember watching in the theaters. The second Optimus said "no matter the cost" I knew what was coming. The kids in that theater were pissed. Walking out I remember hearing several asking their moms when Optimus would be coming back.
And it's totally Hot Rods fault.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I remember watching in the theaters. The second Optimus said "no matter the cost" I knew what was coming. The kids in that theater were pissed. Walking out I remember hearing several asking their moms when Optimus would be coming back.
And it's totally Hot Rods fault.
I heard kids were in tears when Optimus died.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Totally his fault - but if what happened didn't happen then we would have been denied this moment.

I still don't like him all that much - and I wasn't the only one as they brought Optimus back after not too long.

Yeah that moment was fucking amazing... Sure it was HRs fault, and Optimus was in give no fucks mode throughout the start of that movie, like he was on steroids or something lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I still remember being more pissed that they turned Megatron into Galvatron than I was at them killing Optimus. Fuck Galvatron, Megatron forever!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I heard kids were in tears when Optimus died.
They were.

Honestly that movie was a huge shock to the system. They kill off everyone you knew and replace them in like 90 minutes or so (the movie is crazy short).

But it make a huge impression on me. I saw it twice in theaters and then recorded it off tv and watched it another thousand times after that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
They kill off everyone you knew and replace them in like 90 minutes or so
Not to mention HOW they kill them off. This wasn't on off-screen situation, this was "we've known these characters for years, and now we're watching them be brutally butchered". From Ironhide being blasted in the face, to Jazz coughing up smoke after being shot in the chest, to seeing Starscream blasted and turned to ash, to the seen inside unicron here autobots are being melted alive in lava.... Easily the most gruesome and violent 80's animated movie... but it's okay cause they are just robots.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention HOW they kill them off. This wasn't on off-screen situation, this was "we've known these characters for years, and now we're watching them be brutally butchered". From Ironhide being blasted in the face, to Jazz coughing up smoke after being shot in the chest, to seeing Starscream blasted and turned to ash, to the seen inside unicron here autobots are being melted alive in lava.... Easily the most gruesome and violent 80's animated movie... but it's okay cause they are just robots.
Ironhide was pretty obscured. Ratchet's death was more graphic.
That was Prowl. Jazz was still alive in S3 even though he had no lines.
No Autobots were visibly melted in Unicron. Spike, Bumblebee, Jazz and Cliffjumper were saved by Daniel.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No Autobots were visibly melted in Unicron. Spike, Bumblebee, Jazz and Cliffjumper were saved by Daniel.

There was going to be even more deaths but they were cut.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Been a few years since I saw the movie, but I always thought that was Jazz. Either way, all of those scenes were very graphic. I enjoyed them as a kid even if Optimus dying was always a gut punch (and I fast forwarded that part on VHS most times).

Yeah, Jazz survived, but sadly Scatman Crothers passed away, which is why Jazz ended up getting sidelined in the post movie series.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The key thing is that in GI Joe and Transformers they would have these giant elaborate battles every week but no one ever got hurt.

So to see 5 minutes into the movie a ship of Autobots getting jumped and murdered, followed by most of the original Transformers culminating in Optimus dying on the operating table or whatever the fuck that was just amazingly shocking for kids at the time.

I will say that after Prime died seeing Ultra Magnus being blown up and then put back together barely fazed me. I think I was most worried about Daniel or his dad dying after all the main guys had already been killed.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The key thing is that in GI Joe and Transformers they would have these giant elaborate battles every week but no one ever got hurt.

So to see 5 minutes into the movie a ship of Autobots getting jumped and murdered, followed by most of the original Transformers culminating in Optimus dying on the operating table or whatever the fuck that was just amazingly shocking for kids at the time.

I will say that after Prime died seeing Ultra Magnus being blown up and then put back together barely fazed me. I think I was most worried about Daniel or his dad dying after all the main guys had already been killed.
Tbh the deaths didn't get faze me at all. I thought it was cool af. It's not like the tone was the same as in the show. It was clearly dark from the start where Unicron devours a whole planet.

And I was still a child when I first saw it on VHS. Born in '85 so I never saw it in theaters.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the deaths didn't get faze me at all. I thought it was cool af. It's not like the tone was the same as in the show. It was clearly dark from the start where Unicron devours a whole planet.

And I was still a child when I first saw it on VHS. Born in '85 so I never saw it in theaters.
I loved it too bro!

I said it shocked the hell out of me. It was not really emotional for me either. But it definitely melted part of my brain in an awesome 80s way.

I saw it in 4th grade and then in 5th grade I recorded it on tv (I was a pro and was able to get rid of 99.9% of the commercials) and just wore that VHS tape the fuck out.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
My recorded VHS tape had darker color palettes for some reason, so the movie I saw was actually much darker than when I finally owned a DVD copy lol

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As I was almost 5 when I watched it in theaters, I cried like a little wussy. And then when I rented it ten years later I did it again.

I was the same age.

It's my first memory of going to a movie in the theatre.

It was at least a decade until I saw it again. In that time I built it up to a mythical status in my memory and I wasn't sure if Transformers The Movie was a real thing that even happened.

Was a trip seeing it for only the second time around 15 years old.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this at the movie theatre as a kid, the battle of Autobot City was traumatic to watch. I'll admit I still get teary eyed whenever I re-watch Prime's last stand on YouTube lol

I look at my small shelf of Masterpiece Transformers toys on display...it has MP-10 Prime and MP-36 Megatron staring each other down, MP-22 Magnus standing in the background and MP-8 Grimlock, MP-28 Hot Rod (with his fishing rod!), and MP-21 Bumblebee with Spike in his transforming suit all hanging out in the front...if anything they're all set up in a much less darker tone than the movie.

EDIT: slightly OT, but as nice as that new MP-44 Prime toy is, $450+ is too expensive! Takara/Tomy/Hasbro can only price gouge us traumatized kids so much lol

Last edited:

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
The Transformers Movie is one of the most cynical pieces of shit of all time. Always remember that the purpose of all TF media is: to sell toys. Clearing the shelves of all old toys, I mean characters, in a fairly traumatic fashion and then introducing a job lot of bullshit replacements is cynical as fuck.

Seriously, fuck that movie.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally his fault - but if what happened didn't happen then we would have been denied this moment.

I still don't like him all that much - and I wasn't the only one as they brought Optimus back after not too long.

I think my favorite part of this scene is actually Unicron's dying words and how that final Destiny is uttered like a old man's final breath, just petering out pathetically after all his self aggrandizing bull shit through out the film. Felt incredibly fitting.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think my favorite part of this scene is actually Unicron's dying words and how that final Destiny is uttered like a old man's final breath, just petering out pathetically after all his self aggrandizing bull shit through out the film. Felt incredibly fitting.

It's quite the death rattle.

For a long time it was rumored that Leonard Nimoy recorded that line because Orson Wells had already died, but I think that's been disproven in recent years.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
On-topic: yes

With that said, this movie was so cool. I was a Transformers nut when I was a kid (then the Bay films took over). I didn't see the Transformers movie until I was in 6th grade (so it was around 06) and it blew my mind. That Shuttle scene (and then the battle of Autobot City) was like my imaginary toy battles put into cartoon form. Fantastic film

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hot Rod is at 100% fault for Optimus's death. He had it under control until Hot Rod jumped in. Who didn't cry at Optimus's death? I was in shock as a kid.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Kids bawled when it happened, including me. It was insane.

The closest thing I can think of in modern media might be Spiderman's death in Infinity War....and even then, not as bad / great.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids bawled when it happened, including me. It was insane.

The closest thing I can think of in modern media might be Spiderman's death in Infinity War....and even then, not as bad / great.

I think it was partially from the fact it was aimed at such young kids. Infinity War was aimed at a lot of different age groups, many of them older so I think expectations were a little different going into that. I guess it would be like a Disney animation where all your beloved characters all decided to kill each other once and for all.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think Hot Rod was correct to try and save Prime, he just went about it all wrong.

He (and the writers) conveniently forgot that he had blasters he could shoot from the exhaust pipes on his arms. There was no need to tackle Megs.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Seeing this thread every time I refresh is bringing back the rage 6-year-old me felt watching this movie the weekend of release. I thought I was over it...

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
There was going to be even more deaths but they were cut.
The movies anniversary BluRay release has interviews with the cast and crew. The head writer stated a scene was cut where they would have a bulk of the characters from the OG toyline runs gauntlet of Decepticons and be torn apart.

Also more here:

www.seibertron.com

Reconstructed Deleted Scenes from The Transformers: The Movie

The folks over on The Spacebrigde facebook page have put together two deleted scenes from the 1986's The Transformers: The Movie. The scenes have been reconstructed using the original storyboards. The first scene involves the Autobots rebuffing Devastator