• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Texas would be a great setting and it doesn't get used that often. I can't remember the last open world video game I played set in Texas.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
If it takes place in Texas, it could be like No Country For Old Men, or Red Dead in the present.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Texas would be a great setting and it doesn't get used that often. I can't remember the last open world video game I played set in Texas.

Texas is still gaining interest nationally, that's my guess. I mean, it took me 'till 2018 to realize that Texas was complex, diverse, urban, politically liberal in many ways, and full of insane amounts of culture.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Texas is still gaining interest nationally, that's my guess. I mean, it took me 'till 2018 to realize that Texas was complex, diverse, urban, politically liberal in many ways, and full of insane amounts of culture.
Yeah compared to the overexaggerated cowboy shit that everything depicts it as, Texas has a lot to offer. I cringe everytime a reality tv show or something goes "THE METROPLEX" followed by cows and stock yards and I'm like "You know there's more than that right?"

You can tell who's never been to Texas by their statements of what the ecosystem is outside of the rural west.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
A winter setting in a northern set of cities would be cool.

Twin Cities + Iron Range of Minnesota could be fun.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anywhere but the same 3 states they've riffed off of since the dawn of the series. I mean, the chances of another 80's themed Miami seems slim, which strips away 80% of that locations appeal. So I'd rather they just go somewhere entirely new. Because I swear to god if it's liberty city again I'll be pissed.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas

Red Dead Redemption 1 kinda?

Texas has the second largest population in the country with the most amount of "usable" land. It has 3 world class cities and one that's close to being that (Austin or San Antonio can swap between world class and up and coming). It has one of the most varied climates and geography in the nation. There's desert, mountains, plains, hill country, woodlands, coastal for example. Not a lot of other states can offer that. I'm going to assume you're on the young side because if not and it took you until 2018 to realize this I'm not sure what to say.

Yeah compared to the overexaggerated cowboy shit that everything depicts it as, Texas has a lot to offer. I cringe everytime a reality tv show or something goes "THE METROPLEX" followed by cows and stock yards and I'm like "You know there's more than that right?"

You can tell who's never been to Texas by their statements of what the ecosystem is outside of the rural west.

Correct. Then again I always pictured California as a either a bunch of tree hugging liberals sitting latte or surfer bros when the majority of the state isn't like that at all. The media can definitely influence opinion on a state.

As for where I'd like it while I'm a Texan and would love to see DFW or even the entire state represented it'd make for a boring game unless you're going for that ultra controversial political hot take with how immigrants and the image of Texas is represented. I'm good personally. Do something like London again or New Orleans although Infamous did a great job with that already. it'd have to be an English speaking locale. Chicago maybe? I'd be down for that.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

my favorite is whenever a character has a super important business meeting in TX and it's in a BBQ joint with some asshole in a cowboy hat and bolo tie

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
my favorite is whenever a character has a super important business meeting in TX and it's in a BBQ joint with some asshole in a cowboy hat and bolo tie
I just rage internally every time.

As for where I'd like it while I'm a Texan and would love to see DFW or even the entire state represented it'd make for a boring game unless you're going for that ultra controversial political hot take with how immigrants and the image of Texas is represented. I'm good personally. Do something like London again or New Orleans although Infamous did a great job with that already. it'd have to be an English speaking locale. Chicago maybe? I'd be down for that.
Fair enough

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

You mean there is more to Fort Worth than The Stock Yards?! Can't be! I love the DFW metroplex though. My favorite part of this state.

It's kinda weird that people think there's tons of desert here for some reason. It's what like 10% of the state?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
You mean there is more to Fort Worth than The Stock Yards?! Can't be! I love the DFW metroplex though. My favorite part of this state.

It's kinda weird that people think there's tons of desert here for some reason. It's what like 10% of the state?
There's definitely country towns (I'm from one) for sure, but it's definitely not all there is haha.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Nothing should be in TexAss. Red dead has taken care of the cowboy scenes and I don't see a unique city that warrants a game after it in that state.

Oct 28, 2017
GTA London 1969

Kills 2 birds with one stone. Gets out of America thus giving the setting a breath of fresh air, and on top of that it gets to be a period piece again which is a large part of what made Vice City and San Andreas so good.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't want more US. I'm tired of the US. Give me more Hong Kong or other interesting locations that aren't the US. Sleeping Dogs was such a breath of fresh air.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will only accept it being in texas if there's a random event in a back alley with 4 men drinking beer saying "yup" and one guy just busts into tears crying out "lenore".

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The most interesting setting for a GTA game in Texas would have to be El Paso. It's a decent sized city but most importantly, there could be a fun story with Juarez being across the Rio Grande. Maybe the protagonist has to go back and forth from Juarez to El Paso to move drugs for the cartel? That would be fun

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar seems to enjoy revisiting their established worlds. They remade Liberty City and San Andreas. Vice City is all but guaranteed at this point.

They're not going anywhere new, and they're not going to a different country. You can quote me on that.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
God I hope not. The less Texas the better.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Have it be set in Florida. Crazy stuff happens all the time unfortunately. Hell Floridaman stories could be mistaken for Trevor side missions in 5.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of a Vice City expanded into greater Florida. Wouldn't hate Texas or Chicago.

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
Ehh I think Rockstar should choose a location outside of the US. A GTA set overseas in Europe would be cool.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
wouldn't make much sense since much of the topography of RDR2 reminds me of texas.

A city like Austin, for example, would make more sense with an iNfamous or Watch Dogs game IMO