• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know every time we talk about monetizing gaming things go south, but hear me out and let's use Dreams as a way to discuss monetizing in gaming and user created assets.

Little Big Planet never managed to be this huge hub for user-created levels/games that it could. Some levels made it big and even made it to the general gaming press, but these were mostly tech demos or gimmicks and never an experience that you would play over another game (no offense to anyone who created for LBP, some creations were truly amazing and I could never do anything close to those creations).

Now Dreams comes along and the tools at disposable are clearly miles away from LBP (even though LBP seemed as "complete" at the time as Dreams is now). You can do anything from landscapes, to sculpting, animation, music, etc. The tools are there for some amazing creations. That being said, it also seems a more complex and time-consuming activity. Most gamers won't have the time to create something meaningful.

Growing up and losing my precious gaming time (work, family, etc) I started to wish for a different gaming landscape, one with smaller experiences (close to movies' running time) and with more creative diversity than the AAA space allows. Making games is too time and resources-consuming. And with big expenses, comes little risk.

Bringing these two aspects together, what if Dreams served this purpose for smaller dev teams? An "engine" were they could build small projects, gain experience, attract a fanbase and...make some profit? As small as it could be. By giving them something in return for their work, Mm could attract smaller dev teams and enrich Dream's world with their creations. For the team it could be a less riskier way to try some concepts and improve their skills.

Does this make any sense to you?
Should a game like Dreams ever be monetized?
Would you as a player want to pay some extra money for these games?
Would you as a starting dev/programmer/artist be interested in something like this?

I had these and more questions and would like to hear from you. I mean no disrespect to all the hard-working and very talented creators on the LBP and future Dreams' communities

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense becaue in the end it's another game engine. I guess people can simply put up patreon programs. But it would be cool if Sony implemented a service so that content creators can put up paid content. Be it assets, full games or templates ...

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I liked gaming better when every time a new thing came out people didn't volunteer the idea that we should be paying additional money.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be impossible to effectively do it, especially at the end of a transitional console period. It's like paid mods. In theory it would be nice for creators to get paid for that sort of stuff, but the practical effects of such a thing are a huge hurdle. You'd struggle to make things work without strangling the baby in the crib.

At best we're going to see some Patreons crop up from it.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck. Why even suggest this as comsumer?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony should open up a program where they let select games chosen by Media Molecule be available as a standalone on PSN for like 5 bucks or something like that.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
What the fuck. Why even suggest this as comsumer?

reminded of the threads a few years back where people wanted/pleaded with nintendo to release micro transaction riddled versions of animal crossing/pokemon/pikmin whatever for mobile...why would you want those?

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you want it to end up in the same ditch as Project Spark?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
1) Sell the game
2) Get the money from selling the game
3) That's it

If you want more ways to give money to a huge corporation then send a cheque to their corporate headquarters, they'll be thrilled

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already monetized it when they decided to sell the game.

What on earth compels you to actively try to find ways to give companies more money than they even think they need? I really would like to understand why some people see a product and fantasize about how to give the company behind that product more money. You're really not doing your part for capitalism and instead are setting them up to do their part even bigger at your expense.

Protect consumer interests.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Dude. You buy the whole package of Dreams and you get to play it. That's how it should be monetized.
I'm an indie game dev and would never want my game sold through Dreams. It's not a market place and it shouldn't be. This'll be a cool proof of concept tool. Anyone looking to make money off their creative work has many other avenues to take advantage of.

Last edited:

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
No. If you want to make a game that you can monetise simply don't use Dreams, perhaps download Unreal or Unity instead. Dreams is very much designed to be a collaborative set of tools, not for making commercial products.

Perhaps you could allow people to "donate" in-game to creators that they like but nothing should be gated from access to other players.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Personally I don't want this to be another monetisation fest.

Hopefully it will be amateurish and free. If you want to make a game to sell I'd prefer if they provide a "dreams studio edition" that lets you make stand alone games.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PC gamers didn't slave away at mods for more that TWENTY FUCKING FIVE YEARS so fuckers could bury the notion,

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I love to be charged out the nose for everything. Being monetarily squeezed out of a hobby by being nickel and dimed in an already expensive hobby sounds good.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
It's most likely going to be a standard 60$ game, maybe with some microtransactions for customizing your Imp. But no other DLC.

Paying creators would be great, but i doubt it's something they could feasibly do on launch.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to make a game to sell I'd prefer if they provide a "dreams studio edition" that lets you make stand alone games.

This is more what I'm wondering about: will it exist?

From what everyone is saying, Dreams's creation tools actually sound too good to be locked to this one UGC game...

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I think selling access to actual games would be a big turn-off. However, I could see a Unity Asset Store model where creators could sell their models, songs, logic, or whatever to other creators as potentially viable.

OP
OP
Paquete_PT

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And here I was trying to set up a meaningful discussion around the subject.
Mind you, nothing that I said gave more money to Mm, I doubt they need it and I'm sure they are not a fan of monetization in their games. This was about giving money to the small creators. It was meant as a conceptual discussion, not as a place to give those "devilish developers some terrible ideas".
Monetization is happening and will keep on happening. Gaming is a business, first and foremost, wether we like it or not. I wanted this thread to serve as a place for us to discuss what better way to do it and I think it's time gamers get in front of the narrative regarding these issues.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think it's time gamers get in front of the narrative regarding these issues.

Here's me getting in front of the narrative regarding this issue - if game companies are willing to release a product without turning you into a revenue stream, don't volunteer to turn yourself into a revenue stream.

If a mugger asks for your wallet you don't suggest that they take your phone, too.