• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should domesticated cats be allowed outside?

• Yes

Votes: 48 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 78 61.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT. This concerns letting out on their own. Not with supervision or with a leash. If your answer is "yes but only with a leash", the answer should be "No" in the poll.

While the answers in the poll are quite binary, I would say it's okay for there to be exceptions. For example, you could say "they should not be allowed outside, except for maybe at farms where they're taking care of mice".

So vote for the option you lean the most towards.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
my statement on this is to keep cats inside, and walk them like dogs outside

yes, on a leash/lead

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You know what you're doing with this one lol

screenshot2022-06-11alwkyg.png

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, while supervised.

I take my cats outside every day to have a run around. I don't let them wander freely to hunt.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Ey, I always love this thread.

I keep my kitties inside, make sure they have plenty of toys to entertain them and I play with them every day. They're happy, they're healthy and they're safe. They don't kill animals unnecessarily and they don't pester the neighbors.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't work in the US. You EU folks killed a lot of your wildlife so I guess it makes sense there.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Blagh, not this again. A thousand times no, but we'll get some really disgruntled posters who ignore all studies and logic to claim otherwise.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This thread will go as well as the last dozen of threads on the subject.

People from countries where cats going outside is normal and has been happening for more than a thousand years will say yes, of course cats should go outside, it's normal and has been happening for over a thousand years.

People from countries where cats are a more recent invasive species, or from countries where cats face an increased number of dangers from local wildlife, will say no, letting your cats outside is too risky and irresponsible.

Everyone will talk past each other.
People will post bullshit studies that they cherry-pick details to support their position from.
Cultural and environmental differences will be ignored in favour of simplistic moralism and name calling.

Speaking from a UK perspective: Of course cats should be allowed outside, it's normal and natural and has been happening for over a thousand years. Walking around the neighbourhood handing out pets to a variety of affectionate fluffballs is one of the great joys of a summer in the British countryside.

Outdoor cats in the UK are healthy, they're happy, and they make the world a brighter place.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like the idea of letting a cat outside bc it's introducing an invasive predator. Then you can go into it being a nuisance to your neighbors.

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People from countries where cats going outside is normal and has been happening for more than a thousand years will say yes, of course cats should go outside, it's normal and has been happening for over a thousand years.

People from countries where cats are a more recent invasive species, or from countries where cats face an increased number of dangers from local wildlife, will say no, letting your cats outside is too risky and irresponsible.

People will post bullshit studies that they cherry-pick details to support their position from.
Cultural and environmental differences will be ignored in favour of simplistic moralism and name calling.

Speaking from a UK perspective: Of course cats should be allowed outside, it's normal and natural and has been happening for over a thousand years. Walking around the neighbourhood handing out pets to a variety of affectionate fluffballs is one of the great joys of a summer in the British countryside.

Outdoor cats in the UK are healthy, they're happy, and they make the world a brighter place.

I'm from a country where it's normal for cats to be outside, and I grew up with cats being let outside.

I still voted no.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we do this a few weeks ago; UK people who aren't near main roads and people in other countries in which it's safe are often fine with it with those who don't understand people who live in safe areas do not get this. (I've always had out door cats, currently live off a terrace off the main street with no traffic and no natural predators, generally always have lived in these places or the cat has used the back garden. My cat sits and shits (He has a litter tray too which he mostly uses) in the garden (And generally my garden or yard), usually just chills out in the yard in front of the garden).

Only ever had one issue with a cat been outdoors over say 10 or so cats we've had in my life and that was a cyclist on the pavement in which they should not have been.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

if you could train them to not shit in my garden I'll agree with you. I 99% already do

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a fan of it no. My cat wont leave the backyard and im okay with that. I take comfort in knowing my cat is safe and happy when im not around

Guess it depends where you live though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've participated in this tinder box of a discussion here and in real life enough times to decide that I'm just not going to participate in the mayhem this time.

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because I don't see how the benefits outweigh the negatives. They kill other wildlife (my mom's cat would bring home a squirrel and badger almost every day, dude was a fucking monster in general), and it increases the chance that they never come back.

My local grocery store has like five different missing cats posters, with all of them saying "he usually comes home after a couple of days, but now he's been gone for three weeks", and I'm just thinking how everyone of those families probably have children and others who love that cat, who will now probably never see it again.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a default, no - not if it's domesticated. For a variety of reasons, health of the cat, health of the environment, so on. I understand there's a lot of cultural inertia but "it's the way it's always been" is rarely a good defense for something.

Like, cats tend to be pretty agile, but that doesn't mean they can't get sniped by a coyote or other midsize predator, run over by a car, trapped/hurt/whatever at their own pace. So it's unnecessary risk for the cat. And on the other hand, cats are killing machines AND have the unfair advantage of always getting square meals and shelter. Not only will they kill wildlife, their ability to kill wildlife probably muscles out a lot of other animals who are already being muscled out by humans. So unnecessary risk for the environment.

Cats are probably happier outside, but they're also happier fucking each other and fighting each other and eating whatever they want and all sorts of stuff that's bad for them. The tradeoff of being a pet is that you get food, shelter, and affection, but you get your little animal freedoms restricted. Sorry cats, thems the rules!

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I imagine it depends on the person and place, but I let cats outside when they ask because it feels really controlling to force this animal to stay inside when they're begging me to go out. I also live in the country where everyone lives on an acre+ and surrounded by farms. They only ever stay out for like 15 minutes and stay in the yard, so it's been okay. You also have to be okay with the fact that they might get got but at least they weren't imprisoned in a house.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I used to let my cat out all the time, but realize how destructive that is to local wildlife and how risky it was for my cat.

I voted no even though I do like seeing domestic cats outside, they are too destructive and humans are already leading to catastrophic biodiversity collapse, don't need our cats to help the process. They are also at increased risk of being killed by coyotes as we creep our cities and suburbs outward and coyotes adapt to urban living.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the area.

I would never let a cat out in a city space. So many of the cats around here get fucked up cars or get sick from unchecked Rodentia.

When I lived in the mountains though, sure. They always came back and were healthy and the only thing I had to directly worry about was flea and tick medication. Eventually they got old and fat and didn't want to go beyond the yard anyway.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
ResetEra has proven time and time again that this thread will not end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.